joebrug Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Migrating DHCP from Netware to Linux

First netware to linux migration, This is proving to not be as straightforward as I had hoped..

Anyway. Source = nw6sp5, Dest = Sles10sp4 Oes2sp3

Using the miggui tool. I selected to configure the DHCP service. on the target options tab, I've filled out all of the fields except for "service name".. what is this? should this be an object that already exists? If so, I don't see it when I browse. or do I have to manually create/type something (like what?) in?

Also, I'm going to be doing a Transfer ID but from what I've been reading in some posts, it seems like some things don't change to the name of the old server? any gotchas?

Should/can the DHCP migration be done under "consolidate" mode, be up and running, then do the Transfer ID process?

Documentation isnt entirely clear on this stuff. Thanks

#novell on efnet
Labels (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Migrating DHCP from Netware to Linux

Hi Joe, look at my migration guides (in my signature)

We did DHCP migrations from NW to OES2 Linux with TransferID. Granted, this was on OES2 SP1/SP2, and we ran into a few bugs (since resolved), but I believe the steps are the same.

OES2 Linux DHCP has different settings/names than NetWare.

I'm not sure about the NW 65 SP5 business though. We were on NW 6.5 SP7/SP8.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Kevin,
Was reading your OES2 SP2 Migration guide for Transfer ID....
the DHCP section looks much different than what I'm seeing. You mentikon an "other options" tab.. mine has Source/Target/Reverse Zone tabs.

So my question still stands I guess... what do I do with the "service name" ? Heres a screenshot: Upload Screenshot

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Looks like that's "new" in SP3 (we'd only done this on SP2).

The docs mention (depends upon which level you are migrating at--Tree, Server, etc.):
Server Context---Context of the target DHCP server object.

Server Name---Name of the target DHCP server object.

Service Context---Context of the target DHCP service object.

Service Name---Name of the target DHCP service object.

Locator Object----Distinguished name of the dhcpLocator object in the target tree.

Group Object---Distinguished name of the DHCPGroup object in the target tree.

Lease file location---Lease file name with absolute file path where the NetWare DHCP dynamic leases are migrated.

When you installed DHCP on the OES2 server, you entered some of the above information (except the service name). The service name is kinda automatic (although I do suppose Novell could've added this into the docs for those people migrating).

The EASIEST way I know of to make sure that you have the right service name:

Go into iMan -> DHCP (OES Linux).
Select SERVER
Browse to the SERVER object you created for THIS particular OES2 server.
Once you are able to see it's info, click the General tab
It'll show the SERVICE that belongs to this server.

The SERVICE name is normally (at least for the ones we made) in the format of:
dhcpservice_SERVERNAME

I'm going to GUESS here, that on the Miggui window for "service" you can "browse" into the OES2 SP3 DHCP SERVER object you created and it'll let you choose/pick the SERVICE (which should match above).
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Yes, you can browse for the objects, however, there is no service object for me to choose in my tree. Thats why I'm a bit confused. I'm not sure if a service object was supposed to be created when i installed DHCP as part of the sles/oes installation?

Also, for what ever reason, I cant get the DHCP Oes Linux plugin to work for my imanager. It shows that it installs successfully, i restart tomcat, but it just doesnt show up as an option under roles.

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Oh, I wonder if it's the same thing we ran into with OES2 SP2?

So the first server we did, we "accidentally" installed OES2 SP2 and chose the DHCP pattern during the install. It seems that if you did that (back then anyway), that you didn't get all the config screens during the miggui or whatever.

BUT, if you installed OES2 SP2 first. And then ADDED the DHCP pattern AFTER the fact, then you got DIFFERENT install screens.

For your iMan, thing, check your collection to make sure there's no outdated modules.

I think it's in the "Configure" button that's across the top, and then under Roles Based Services (left-hand side) -> RBS Configuration
It'll give you a little "report" thingy and look for any out of date modules and I usually install them.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Alright, had Novell on my system to trouble shoot. They ended up using the java DHCP console to manually create the Service object. I guess it didn't get created when I installed dhcp for some reason. Then we were able to migrate dhcp successfully. I shut dhcpsrvr.nlm down on the netware box and loaded it up on linux, tested it out.. it works fine.

Next step. Sooo is the Transfer ID process smart enough to rename the dhcp objects correctly with the new (old) server name? Example DHCP_FSU (netware server).. linux server is DHCP_fsu-oes. What happens during Transfer process? Or do I have to delete the old dhcp objects first?

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Joe,

Wow, how interesting. Anyway, during the Transfer ID, it'll basically (I'm paraphrasing here) take the "existing" DHCP config on OES2 and just modify it's IP address and such. So the OES2 DHCP server objects are like: TEMPSERVER (with the DHCP names pre-pended). It'll change those names to reflect the "real" server when done.

Now, in regards to your NW stuff. Since those objects are named differently, they'll just "stay" in eDir (unless Novell changed it) so you'll have to do some manual cleanup later.

But basically right now you have 2 sets of DHCP stuff in eDir. Ones "NW" and one's OES Linux (you'll see the names are different). So that'll remain the same. After it's all said and done, you'll have 2 sets of eDir things.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Just got off phone with Novell again.. they hopped on and 'cleaned up' the dhcp stuff. You're right, after the migration, I was still using the 'temporary' server name objects (fsu-oes)... like the service, server, etc. Also, the server object itself was still using the old dns-dhcp locator object at the root of my tree, instead of using the new linux one that was created. Had to change that as well. Basically, support ended up deleting everything and re-creating it with the right names (fsu).

I'm a little bothered by how crappy the documentation is for this. Leaving objects laying around and things like that.. not cool. especially when the documentation says:
"12.2.6 DHCP, FTP, NTP and iFolder
These services require no additional steps after Transfer ID."

I also had to put "authoritative;" in my dhcpd.conf before it would send out SLP info to the workstations.

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks Joe,

I THINK in my docs I wrote, I mentioned the authoritative part in there, but maybe not.

However, I'll be more than happy to cover the "DHCP" cleanup stuff for my OES11 docs (when I get around to it), or at the least mention it on my communities page.

If you would, please submit documentation feedback for that part that mentions you have no additional steps required.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

No mention of authoritative that I saw, Kevin, at least not in this one:
OES2 SP2 Migration Guide for Transfer ID Scenarios | Novell User Communities

Plus, mine (being sp3, i assume) looked a lot different than yours. This might be something I have to set up in a test lab again to see exactly how the migration process works, what doesn't migrate, and what you have to do to fix it at the end. I've tinkered around so much at this point that I don't remember what all needed to be done.. at least my expectation of it either deleting the old dhcp objects, or renaming the new objects to reflect the source server didn't happen. The process and expectations could be explained better, I guess.

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks Joe!

Not sure if I'll be able to do a NW to OES11 migration guide since I have no more NW servers around, but I'm sure I'll have some "fun" with OES2 SP3 to OES11 migration.

🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.