Highlighted
gdunham Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrating GroupWise from NSS to EXT3

Hi All,

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on moving GroupWise (inc PO's, MTA's and Gateways) from NSS to EXT3.

A couple of the thoughts I had were around the management and accessibility from Windows clients. Our usage of GroupWise includes many huge GroupWise archives which need to be accessible from the Windows client base. So for this to work I understand we would need SAMBA. Luckily the access to these archives is only with 3 users so account management from a Linux perspective shouldn't be too difficult, and at the end of the day I think we could easily work with a single generic local Linux user account.

There seems to be two version of SAMBA available in Novell land - SUSE SAMBA and OES SAMBA. Are there any/many differences between the two? eDirectory/LUM integration would be a plus but if it comes at a trade off with performance or usability - we can do without.

Given the nature of GroupWise archives (thousands/millions of tiny files) - are we likely to experience a degradation in performance moving from NSS/NCP/Novell Client to EXT3/SAMBA?

Are there any gotchas, other than needing to reassign rights, when migrating from NSS to EXT3?

Any help, tips and experience would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Gary
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Migrating GroupWise from NSS to EXT3

Am 30.09.2016 um 03:46 schrieb gdunham:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to get peoples thoughts on moving GroupWise (inc PO's, MTA's
> and Gateways) from NSS to EXT3.

My first thought: Don't. 😉

> A couple of the thoughts I had were around the management and
> accessibility from Windows clients. Our usage of GroupWise includes many
> huge GroupWise archives which need to be accessible from the Windows
> client base. So for this to work I understand we would need SAMBA.

Well, except that I strongly recommend getting away from archiving at
all (which doesn't answwer your question though), there is no need
whatsoever to put the archives *on* the groupwise server itself. In
fact, putting the archives on the groupwise server itself finally and
totally rids it of any whatsoever reason to archive at all.

> There seems to be two version of SAMBA available in Novell land - SUSE
> SAMBA and OES SAMBA. Are there any/many differences between the two?

Actually, there are three. Novell Samba is only available on OES, and
when you have OES, you also have novell cifs. But then again, if you
have OES, stay on NSS. If you stay on OES (which you sound like you do),
then there is seriously no reason to do what you suggest. Can you tell
us why you would do that move if you stay on OES anyways?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
gathagan Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Migrating GroupWise from NSS to EXT3

When I moved from GW 8 on Netware to GW2014 on OES, I originally went from NetWare NSS to EXT3.
Later on, for unrelated reasons, I had to move the data to a different LUN.
I took the opportunity to return to NSS.

I find space management to be easier in NSS than in EXT3.

In an OES environment, security-related issues like file rights are also easier to administrate with NSS. That's generally less of a concern with GW, but is still true.
If a SAN array is involved, it also make it easier to move the storage to a different host, without having to worry about those access rights.

I use SEP sesam for backup, which uses the GroupWise support included in TSAFS.
There are some limitations to the support TSAFS gives EXT3 volumes, so it was unclear to me whether or not TSAFS supported GW on that file system.

As Massimo states, if you are retaining your OES environment, it makes sense to stick with NSS.
If not, then EXT3 makes more sense.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.