Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrating NSS and native Linux Storage to new Storage System

Hi all,

we want to migrate our NCS Cluster to a new different Storage System.
Currently we are using a HP MSA 1510i iSCSI System and want to migrate to a
HP MSA 2312i (iSCSI). Our Cluster consists of two nodes OES2 SP 64 bit and
has two NSS Pools on it (Filesharing and Groupwise) and some clustered
native Linux Filsesystems (with EVMS) for some Linux Services.
What way should we go to migrate the data? If i map the new storage it will
get names like /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 and so on. But if i will remove the old
storage i believe the naming is different so my config will be corrupted.
So how can i exchange the storage without destroing my cluster. A downtime
is no problem.

I´m thankfull for all hints.

Alex
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Migrating NSS and native Linux Storage to new Storage Sy

HP doesn't have any sort of software/utility to migrate data from one of their SAN's to another one of their SANs?

I've not worked with iSCSI, but with regular scsi/fibrechannel Novell says to use the /dev/disk/by-id instead of /sda, /sdb, etc. However, I would THINK that if you're using /dev/disk/by-id that moving to a new SAN would change the id in which case I'm not really sure what would happen. I don't see the /dev/disk/by-id in my /etc/fstab (except we DO boot from our SAN, so I see the LUN0 stuff, but nothing for the clustered disks). But that uses EVMS, so not sure if that's stored elsewhere.

I know people have done this before, but not sure if they just basically created a new cluster on the new SAN and copied the data over and went from there (that would require significant amount of work, IMO) but it may be the only nice way to do it.

I know when we migrated from our Xiotech Magnitude to the Magnitude 3000, Xiotech had a GeoReplicate that copied the disks over (granted, that was when we were still on NetWare) and we didn't really have to do anything other than reboot the servers.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Antw: Re: Migrating NSS and native Linux Storage to new StorageSystem

This kind of HP Storage does not support any migration technology (also a
reason why we want to change).

Changing a simple Linux File System is no problem, but what will happen to
NSS Pools? How to address these storage?

Alex
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Antw: Re: Migrating NSS and native Linux Storage to new

If you can change the linux file systems then NSS shouldn't be a problem.

I'm more concerned with the /dev/ stuff and how the cluster accesses them.

I'll have to check around and see if anyone knows.

I know in our setup I cannot find out where/how the OS gets the dev numbers for the NSS devices.

(again it's not in the /etc/fstab as that's the one place I'd expect it to be at).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Antw: Re: Migrating NSS and native Linux Storage to new

Probably better off moving this to the Clustering forum.

I think, if you're moving to a new storage system, your only choice is to setup a new cluster (I don't believe you can have a single cluster use two different SBD partitions on two diff SAN).

Then you should be able to dd (or backup/restore with your tape backup software) the data to the other SAN.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.