amdsbnovell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrating server hardware replacement oes11 to oes11sp2

This summer I will be replacing server hardware at one of my schools. Currently it has sles11sp1 / oes11 -- put in in 2012. The patches are up to date for this version, but I have not upgraded/migrated it to a newer version yet. I have played in a test environment with the yast2 wagon migration from sles11sp1/oes11 to sles11sp2/oes11sp1 -- no problems. However trying to find notes on how to do a migration and identity transfer from source server hardware to new target server hardware. Found oes11sp2 migration tool administration guide. I haven't found anything telling me how to setup sles on the target server box ie server name etc. Once I have the target sles server setup, I realize I need to install OES and select the "Novell pre-migration server" option during this installation.

Current source server = sles11sp1/oes11 and has iPrint, Nss and netstorage installed. Installed in tree with oes11 and oes11sp1 servers.

The main tree server has sles11sp2/oes11sp1 on it. We will need to upgrade it to sles11sp3/oes11sp2 this summer. I'm fine with doing the yast2 wagon migration on that server. We just haven't done server hardware replacements for OES-L yet.

Looking for some good (step by step) instructions. 😉

Thanks
Patty
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Migrating server hardware replacement oes11 to oes11sp2

amdsbnovell;2316509 wrote:
This summer I will be replacing server hardware at one of my schools. Currently it has sles11sp1 / oes11 -- put in in 2012. The patches are up to date for this version, but I have not upgraded/migrated it to a newer version yet. I have played in a test environment with the yast2 wagon migration from sles11sp1/oes11 to sles11sp2/oes11sp1 -- no problems. However trying to find notes on how to do a migration and identity transfer from source server hardware to new target server hardware. Found oes11sp2 migration tool administration guide. I haven't found anything telling me how to setup sles on the target server box ie server name etc. Once I have the target sles server setup, I realize I need to install OES and select the "Novell pre-migration server" option during this installation.

Current source server = sles11sp1/oes11 and has iPrint, Nss and netstorage installed. Installed in tree with oes11 and oes11sp1 servers.

The main tree server has sles11sp2/oes11sp1 on it. We will need to upgrade it to sles11sp3/oes11sp2 this summer. I'm fine with doing the yast2 wagon migration on that server. We just haven't done server hardware replacements for OES-L yet.

Looking for some good (step by step) instructions. 😉

Thanks
Patty

I've done this a couple of times and it is easier than you would think. Have you read Kevin's step-by-step guide, everything you need to know is in there?

https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/oes2-sp2-migration-guide-transfer-id-scenarios/

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

thsundel;2316538 wrote:
I've done this a couple of times and it is easier than you would think. Have you read Kevin's step-by-step guide, everything you need to know is in there?

https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/oes2-sp2-migration-guide-transfer-id-scenarios/

Thomas

Thanks Thomas. Just printed the document now. If my current sles11sp1/oes11 server is called testfs for instance, then I need to install the new target server as a sles11sp3 server called tempfs. Then install oes11sp2 into the tree in a temporary location in the tree as a premigration server (for the installation). Then I should be able to follow the instructions. When I do the identity transfer, I'm assuming it renames the sles11sp3 server from tempfs to testfs as well (as that is where oes gets the file server name from)?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

amdsbnovell;2316710 wrote:
Thanks Thomas. Just printed the document now. If my current sles11sp1/oes11 server is called testfs for instance, then I need to install the new target server as a sles11sp3 server called tempfs. Then install oes11sp2 into the tree in a temporary location in the tree as a premigration server (for the installation). Then I should be able to follow the instructions. When I do the identity transfer, I'm assuming it renames the sles11sp3 server from tempfs to testfs as well (as that is where oes gets the file server name from)?

Um, sorta. Let's pretend your server name is: OLD and the new one is NEW (temporary NEW name and temporary NEW IP)

OLD: OES11
NEW: OES11 SP2 (assuming you want latest stuff).

Do all your data transfer/consolidations/etc

Then when you do the ID transfer, it will literally transfer the eDir databases (well copy is more correct) from OLD to NEW, you shut off OLD, I think it restarts NEW and renames/changes the servername and IP to what OLD had.

You can choose to install the NEW server with the .ISO separately (ie: Install SLES11 SP3, then after you're done, Add On the OES11 SP2 .ISO), or you may choose to use the integrated DVD and do it all at once, or use the 2 separate ISO and do them at once (but depending upon your installation method, you may not be able to do the 2 separate ISO).

I hope that helps.

I'm about halfway through editing my docs for OES11 SP1 (of course, SP2 is out now) for migrations from OES2 SP3, but the same setup steps basically apply. I think the only things that changed from NW To OES (ie: OES2 to OES11) are DHCP and iPrint migration procedures.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Absent Member.

You can choose to install the NEW server with the .ISO separately (ie: Install SLES11 SP3, then after you're done, Add On the OES11 SP2 .ISO), or you may choose to use the integrated DVD and do it all at once, or use the 2 separate ISO and do them at once (but depending upon your installation method, you may not be able to do the 2 separate ISO).

--Kevin

In the paragraph above, you are talking about doing that first on my new server right? I setup the new server with sles11sp3/oes11sp2 as a temporary server and ip address. Then do the migration steps from old (sles11sp1/oes11) to new (sles11sp3/oes11sp3)?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

amdsbnovell;2316737 wrote:

--Kevin

In the paragraph above, you are talking about doing that first on my new server right? I setup the new server with sles11sp3/oes11sp2 as a temporary server and ip address. Then do the migration steps from old (sles11sp1/oes11) to new (sles11sp3/oes11sp3)?

Yes, that is correct (although it's OES11 SP2, just to make sure--:)

There's some interesting things you may run into (Not sure if they're fixed in OES11 SP2). I know in OES11 SP1 there's some issues when you install the new temporary server and tell LUM to use OESCommonProxy user IF you have an NMAS UP Policy set at the Login object (ie: governs all users). There's also some interesting issues if you wish to migrate services that did NOT use OESCommonProxy on the old server and you want to migrate to it on the new one (basically the only method I found reliable was to migrate them without common proxy and re-setup commonproxy after the fact).

I think if all you're migrating is NSS/iPrint you're pretty much fairly set to go.

As always: backup backup backup

🙂

--Kevin
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.