boblmartens
New Member.
1146 views

Migration Requirements

I have three NetWare 6.5 servers that I would prefer to migrate to a single OES 11.2 instance. I am wondering if I need to have the OES 11.2 server in the tree before I attempt the migration (not Transfer ID).

Also, I will need to manually change all of the login scripts to use the new volume setup. Right now it is NetWare1/Vol1 or NetWare2/Vol1 so migration will allow me to dictate where items are moved to, correct?

Thanks for the help!
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Migration Requirements

boblmartens;2394368 wrote:
I have three NetWare 6.5 servers that I would prefer to migrate to a single OES 11.2 instance. I am wondering if I need to have the OES 11.2 server in the tree before I attempt the migration (not Transfer ID).

Also, I will need to manually change all of the login scripts to use the new volume setup. Right now it is NetWare1/Vol1 or NetWare2/Vol1 so migration will allow me to dictate where items are moved to, correct?

Thanks for the help!


I'm assuming you're going to do a Cross Tree Migration?

If not, then yes, the OES11 server has to be in the same tree. ID transfer is useful if you want/need the same servername/IP to be carried over (along with all the eDirectory info).

But there's nothing stopping you from installing the new OES11 server into a new tree and doing a cross-tree migration.
Otherwise, if you want the server to be in the same tree, but get new name/IP, then yes, you need to install it into the existing tree.

For File System migration, you can choose to do the entire volume (ie: OLDSERVER\VOL1 -> NEWSERVER\VOL1) or different volume. Or even directories if you don't want the entire volume. (ie: OLDSERVER\VOL1 -> NEWSERVER\BIGBIRD)
boblmartens
New Member.

Re: Migration Requirements

So basically, I could take OLDSERVER1/VOL1 and OLDSERVER2/VOL1 and consolidate it down to NEWSERVER/VOL1 if I wanted? Will bring the Trustees along for the ride?
0 Likes
dbgallo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migration Requirements

boblmartens;2394396 wrote:
So basically, I could take OLDSERVER1/VOL1 and OLDSERVER2/VOL1 and consolidate it down to NEWSERVER/VOL1 if I wanted? Will bring the Trustees along for the ride?


You could consolidate them both into one volume, but make sure you aren't overwriting directories.

The miggui application will copy the trustees over to the the new server volumes as well as any quotas (provided you have them on the original and have them turned on for the destination volume)
0 Likes
boblmartens
New Member.

Re: Migration Requirements

dbgallo;2394400 wrote:
You could consolidate them both into one volume, but make sure you aren't overwriting directories.

The miggui application will copy the trustees over to the the new server volumes as well as any quotas (provided you have them on the original and have them turned on for the destination volume)


That sounds great. I am pondering the possibility of consolidating the storage down to a simplified structure and this seems like as good a time as any.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.