Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Migration help needed, in what order do i do it?

Hello Admins!

I want to migrate our 32bit sles 10.4 OES 2 SP 3 (fully patched) to the new 64bit OES 11 SP (fully patched, pre migration, all services installed that the oes 2 has) server, i read many Guides but i don´t know in which order i have to do it:

A Groupwise 8 Postoffice and NCP Volume (to NSS) have to be migrated.

The full backup is running at the moment.

1. Comes Groupwise 8 first? Do i have to install but not to configure it (because the configs are copied over)? At What moment do i have to Shutdown the MTA and POA on our Mainreplica to avoid problems?

2. Do i use metamig or miggui to copy over the Data (ncp to nss), will the rights be migrated too?

Thanks!

Sebastian
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Ronnenberg;2254948 wrote:
Hello Admins!

I want to migrate our 32bit sles 10.4 OES 2 SP 3 (fully patched) to the new 64bit OES 11 SP (fully patched, pre migration, all services installed that the oes 2 has) server, i read many Guides but i don´t know in which order i have to do it:

A Groupwise 8 Postoffice and NCP Volume (to NSS) have to be migrated.

The full backup is running at the moment.

1. Comes Groupwise 8 first? Do i have to install but not to configure it (because the configs are copied over)? At What moment do i have to Shutdown the MTA and POA on our Mainreplica to avoid problems?

2. Do i use metamig or miggui to copy over the Data (ncp to nss), will the rights be migrated too?

Thanks!

Sebastian

If you look at my OES2 guides (the steps are mostly the same for OES11), it'll give you some ideas on how to do this.

There's a section in there for GroupWise that utilizes the dbcopy utility (you don't really want to use miggui to do gw data, IMO). There shouldn't be any rights needed to the GW stuff EXCEPT for possibly your SDD if you're using one, (ie: for users to do the auto-update), in which case you can either manually recreate it on the new server and assign RF rights to the \client directory or use the miggui to copy your existing SDD (but it'll probably be faster to just put it there yourself).

Unless you're doing an ID Transfer (which sounds like you ARE because you mention "pre-migration" on the target OES11 server), you can migrate GW in any order (ie: migrate GW first and then your NCP volumes that don't hold GW data or vice versa).

IF you're doing an ID transfer, you want to save the GW final dbcopy for very last because I'm ASSUMING you want the agents to use the same IP/Name/volumes as the source server, in which case you need to get all the GW data over first, then do the ID transfer (once you do that, the source server is unavailable as you have to power it off), and then finalize some stuff

But I've got a guide for GW with ID Transfer.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thank you for your advice!

Of course i´ve read every guide more than once, but I couldn´t find anything about what to do first, the Data migration went fine, but i´ve had an error at the end of the migration (in my new thread).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Ronnenberg;2255310 wrote:
Thank you for your advice!

Of course i´ve read every guide more than once, but I couldn´t find anything about what to do first, the Data migration went fine, but i´ve had an error at the end of the migration (in my new thread).

No worries, I think may have had the GW part in one of the many docs (the huge doc gets unwieldy if I don't break it into parts).

I'll look for your other thread.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.