Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1949 views

Mirroring cluster resources - NSSMU issue?

I'm preparing to move my cluster resources to a new SAN storage device. I'm
doing this by software mirroring the partitions between the old storage
device and the new storage device. When I look at nssmu or type "mirror
status" on the active node it says the partition is 100% in sync, but if I
look at it from another node of the cluster it says the partition isn't in
sync, "RAID Status: 98% Remirrored, Not in Sync, Operational, All Present".
Is this a cosmetic issue, or should I be worried that when a resource
migrates it will start to remirror?

To finish my migration I plan on offlining a resource, removing visibility
of the partition on the "old" storage, then bringing the resource online
again. After that going in and breaking the mirror, removing the partition
that isn't visible anymore.

When I did this on my first cluster I had one resource where the partition
couldn't be found, I had to reconnect the server that was hosting that
resource back to the old storage and mirror again, then repeat my steps
above. I'd like to not have to worry about doing that again.

Any ideas how to get all nodes in the cluster to see all the partitions at
100% mirrored? Should I wait?

Environment: Netware 6.5 sp5 with n65nss5a. MM is 3.21.07, 11/1/2005.


Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Mirroring cluster resources - NSSMU issue?

> sync, "RAID Status: 98% Remirrored, Not in Sync, Operational, All
> Present".
> Is this a cosmetic issue, or should I be worried that when a resource
> migrates it will start to remirror?



I don't know the answer to that question, if I were to guess I would say it
is cosmetic, that the active node should have the accurate info.


> When I did this on my first cluster I had one resource where the
> partition
> couldn't be found, I had to reconnect the server that was hosting that



One thing that has gotten me in trouble with doing it this way, is when you
have a multi-segmented pool. If you have ever expanded a pool, then it is
most likely multi-segmented. Since mirroring is partition based and not
pool based, you could have missed a partition. I prefer another method for
moving the data over. I've done it one of two other ways since then. The
first is to use portlock storage manager move pool feature. It can move
from two different sized pools and resize on the fly, and even combine
multi-segmented pools into a single. The other way that works well is to
create new pools and volumes and the new san, and use the Novell Server
Consolidation and Migration wizard to copy the data between the two. The
mirroring method works, but it's gotten me in trouble before.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Mirroring cluster resources - NSSMU issue?

It wasn't a multi-segmented partition. I'm not sure what the exact problem
was - it was one of those 4:00am changes that you force yourself to forget
about once it's over.

Will Portlock allow you to move an online pool, or do you have to take it
offline? One of my pools is ~500gb and I have a 30 minute downtime window,
we're a 24x7 shop. That's why I'm mirroring.

"Marc Porter" <marc@nospam.eastmont206.org> wrote in message
news:45EE7C26.05C9.0010.0@nospam.eastmont206.org...
> One thing that has gotten me in trouble with doing it this way, is when
> you
> have a multi-segmented pool. If you have ever expanded a pool, then it is
> most likely multi-segmented. Since mirroring is partition based and not
> pool based, you could have missed a partition. I prefer another method
> for
> moving the data over. I've done it one of two other ways since then. The
> first is to use portlock storage manager move pool feature. It can move
> from two different sized pools and resize on the fly, and even combine
> multi-segmented pools into a single. The other way that works well is to
> create new pools and volumes and the new san, and use the Novell Server
> Consolidation and Migration wizard to copy the data between the two. The
> mirroring method works, but it's gotten me in trouble before.



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Mirroring cluster resources - NSSMU issue?

No portlock requires exclusive access to the pool, however, the server
consolidation utility can be run live, and can be re-run multiple times.
You might want to contact portlock, when I spoke with them 6 months ago,
they were working on the ability to do things live, utilizing volume
snapshots. It would be worth asking.

>>> On 3/7/2007 at 10:22 AM, in message

<rpDHh.836$1q5.146@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Kurt
Ristow<ksdontspammeristow@gundluth.org> wrote:
> It wasn't a multi-segmented partition. I'm not sure what the exact problem


>
> was - it was one of those 4:00am changes that you force yourself to
> forget
> about once it's over.
>
> Will Portlock allow you to move an online pool, or do you have to take
> it
> offline? One of my pools is ~500gb and I have a 30 minute downtime
> window,
> we're a 24x7 shop. That's why I'm mirroring.
>
> "Marc Porter" <marc@nospam.eastmont206.org> wrote in message
> news:45EE7C26.05C9.0010.0@nospam.eastmont206.org...
>> One thing that has gotten me in trouble with doing it this way, is when
>> you
>> have a multi-segmented pool. If you have ever expanded a pool, then it

> is
>> most likely multi-segmented. Since mirroring is partition based and not
>> pool based, you could have missed a partition. I prefer another method


>
>> for
>> moving the data over. I've done it one of two other ways since then.

> The
>> first is to use portlock storage manager move pool feature. It can move
>> from two different sized pools and resize on the fly, and even combine
>> multi-segmented pools into a single. The other way that works well is

to
>> create new pools and volumes and the new san, and use the Novell Server
>> Consolidation and Migration wizard to copy the data between the two.

> The
>> mirroring method works, but it's gotten me in trouble before.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Mirroring cluster resources - NSSMU issue?

"Marc Porter" <marc@nospam.eastmont206.org> wrote in message
news:45EE946D.05C9.0010.0@nospam.eastmont206.org...
> the server consolidation utility can be run live, and can be re-run
> multiple times.
>

It's been my experience that when you run the consolidation utility in the
"copy if newer" mode it takes almost as much time as doing a full copy. I'm
moving home directories with lots of small files. Part of this project will
involve moving user's home directories to new volumes. I use the
consolidation util to move the files, then mail merge a ldif file to change
the NDS home directory attribute and home server attribute, then run a mail
merged batch file to remove the users' rights to their old home directories.
If I manage to do this without them logging in I'll delete their old home
directory in a couple of days.




0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Mirroring cluster resources - NSSMU issue?

The way we have done this is in the past is to have both Storage
systems hooked up to a server at the same time and then use SCMU to do
the copy. As the communication is server based (server to server or
just "on server" the throughput is Huge!!!



On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:10:54 GMT, "Kurt Ristow"
<ksdontspammeristow@gundluth.org> wrote:

>"Marc Porter" <marc@nospam.eastmont206.org> wrote in message
>news:45EE946D.05C9.0010.0@nospam.eastmont206.org...
>> the server consolidation utility can be run live, and can be re-run
>> multiple times.
>>

>It's been my experience that when you run the consolidation utility in the
>"copy if newer" mode it takes almost as much time as doing a full copy. I'm
>moving home directories with lots of small files. Part of this project will
>involve moving user's home directories to new volumes. I use the
>consolidation util to move the files, then mail merge a ldif file to change
>the NDS home directory attribute and home server attribute, then run a mail
>merged batch file to remove the users' rights to their old home directories.
>If I manage to do this without them logging in I'll delete their old home
>directory in a couple of days.
>
>
>

Tim
___________________
Tim Heywood (SYSOP)
NDS8
Scotland
(God's Country)
www.nds8.co.uk
___________________

In theory, practice and theory are the same
In Practice, they are different
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.