Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mixed Environment Tuning

Happy Holidays!

We are undergoing some changes here at work and it looks like we now have a need for a wide deployment of our clients to run in a mixed mode. That being, they will use a chained GINA configuration, authenticating to both eDirectory and Active Directory and mapping to resources on both Windows DFS shares and Novell NCP shares (mostly NetWare based OES, but some Linux OES2).

We've noticed various amounts of slowness in this configuration, and I was wondering if anyone has any performance tips. I expect authentication delays in this layout, but what about delays in resolving UNC paths to mapping drives and such? Thoughts on server settings, client settings, or otherwise are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any feedback one way or another!

Ryan
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Mixed Environment Tuning

Playing with things, it seems that some Novell client settings were not behaving as expected.

In particular, the Bad Server Name Cache settings were configured (On and with Indefinite timeouts), but were not populating the bad server name cache (at least how I expected them to work). I manually created the registry entries under HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/NetwareWorkstation/Parameters for enabling Bad Server Name Cache, setting the timeout to indefinite (hex 0xffffffff), and pre-populating our BadServer multi-string key with the shortname resolution of the Windows DFS participants (and the DFS namespace).

This has made a HUGE impact on the performance mapping to Windows resources. I am still very interested in any tips anyone has as to other client or server settings that may be helpful. Thanks again for any feedback.

Ryan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.