Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mixing eDirectory Versions in Replica Ring

Hi everyone. So here's what I'm thinking of doing-

I have a Netware 6.5 SP8 environment consisting of 7 servers with DS version 10554.64. My replica ring consists of just the one master and two read-write replicas. I have two new servers with a third on the way and want to start migrating to OES11 before making the jump to Groupwise 2012 (on 7 right now) but I have a few questions I can't seem to find the answers to anywhere:

1. Is it safe to mix eDirectory versions in your replica ring? Is there a best practices document on this? Is it safe to install the new server into the ring as a read-write, wait for everything to sync, then designate it the Master? Or perhaps install it into the ring as a read-only, then wait, etc?

2. Is there a server role more conducive to housing a replica than others? In other words, what type of server would you NOT install into your ring? A heavily-used file server? A VM? The servers to be installed first are going to eventually replace the GW primary domain/master replica, the post office, and the MTA/secondary domain server. I'm looking to avoid making a mistake that could snowball later.

3. Finally, is there a feasible backup solution available for OES11 yet? I've searched these forums for days and it seems to boil down to waiting for Symantec to "evaluate" the need for OES11 support in BE2012, going with an alternate vendor like Sesam, or doing it via scripts. There has to be a better way!

Sorry for the deluge of questions, but this is a huge task that's quite literally been dropped into my lap because I'm the only one with Linux knowledge in my workplace and the brass wants a new email system yesterday. I'd really appreciate any help or insight. Thanks!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi, just my opinions here

Yes, you can safely mix eDir versions (I'm assuming you're at the latest that you can be on NW). I think you want to be 8.7.3.10 at a minimum.

If you wish to insert an OES server into the tree, IF it doesn't already get a replica, then I think you can designate it as the Master. If it has been one of the "first three" in the replica ring, it should automatically get a R/W copy in which case you want to make sure everything is synced/okay and then do each replica one at a time as Master until they're all there (well that's one way to do it).

2) Yes an no. If I have a server that's going to be serving files, I usually try to make sure it has a replica of the users who will be accessing those files. Sometimes you cannot have ALL your replicas on the server, but if there's a small percentage (1-5%) that are outside of the replicas on the server, then it'll just make an external reference. I've got a few servers without replicas, like iPrint only servers, or GW-only servers (GW on linux doesn't need a replica for MTA Sync anymore. It points to an LDAP server. The LDAP server SHOULD have replicas on it). If you're in a small environment, then there's probably not any harm in putting all replicas on all servers. You only have 7 servers, so I don't think there's any harm in having all 7 servers have all replicas if you so desired. I believe the limit used to be around 7 (no more than 7 replicas per partition) but I think that went out the window with eDir 8.something

3) Yes, but not with Symantec, IMO. Use SEP/Sesam or Commvault or something (commvault may be WAY overpriced for your setup). SUPPOSEDLY Symantec will have support for OES11 by the end of this year, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Again, just my opinions, I'm sure some of my colleagues may have differing thoughts, but there's usually more than 1 way to skin a cat.

hehe

--Kevin
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

use sesam for backups, really easy to set up and i've found it to be bulletproof

if you're replacing your 7 servers with 3 OES boxes i'd put all the replica's on all 3 for redundancy and backup ni case of issues with a server, so you don't have any DS issues

I know services like NSS, netstorage, cifs and so on like to have a local replica

any networks i've set up with up to 4 or 5 boxes i've just put every replica on every box, anything larger I just put replicas on the file servers and any remote boxes

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you guys for your insight and replies. After this first server goes in, I'll have the three servers running DS version 8.7.3.10b FTF2 (10554.64) and the new one running 8.8.7 as a R/W replica. After everything syncs, I'd like to transfer the Master replica to the 8.8.7 server and migrate the LDAP services to that server once everything settles.

Eventually, all seven servers are going to be replaced with a mix of Physical and Virtual servers running SUSE 11 and I'm trying to avoid problems implementing that sort of mixed environment. It's gonna be one hell of a project so I really appreciate your help!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nothing wrong with backing up files from NSS volume with sms avare backup
(like Arcserve even as far back as 12.5)

Seb

"chaseds" <chaseds@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:chaseds.5j0k7z@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Thank you guys for your insight and replies. After this first server
> goes in, I'll have the three servers running DS version 8.7.3.10b FTF2
> (10554.64) and the new one running 8.8.7 as a R/W replica. After
> everything syncs, I'd like to transfer the Master replica to the 8.8.7
> server and migrate the LDAP services to that server once everything
> settles.
>
> Eventually, all seven servers are going to be replaced with a mix of
> Physical and Virtual servers running SUSE 11 and I'm trying to avoid
> problems implementing that sort of mixed environment. It's gonna be one
> hell of a project so I really appreciate your help!
>
>
> --
> chaseds
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> chaseds's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=13469
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=459908
>

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.