Highlighted
samsa1mi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mount NSS Volume Without Network Connectivity

Hello,

I have an OES2 GroupWise VM that I have restored from a snapshot, it does have a eDirectory replica on it. I want to get to the post office on the restored server, it is on a NSS volume. I need a user DB off of it.

The original source server is still running in our VM cluster. I cannot have two servers of the same name in the tree so I have disconnected the virtual network card from the restored GroupWise server and powered it on. I disconnected the network card because I did not want to go through the process of renaming the server and incorporating it into our tree then deleting it once I am done with it.

The NSS volume on the restored server will not mount, seemingly because there is no network connectivity and it is unable to connect to the tree. I have gone through the steps in TID 7006574 making sure that namcd and ndsd are running.

First question I have is: is it possible to mount an nss volume without network connectivity? Is it possible from a volume that "expects" to be in a tree?

Second question is: If the answer to the first question is "no" Is there a way to rename the NSS volume from the restored server then mount the vmdk (virtual disk that the volume lives on) to the live GroupWise server?

I thank you in advance for any thoughts, instructions, or advice you may be able to give me.

Sincerely,

David
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Mount NSS Volume Without Network Connectivity

samsa1mi;2245255 wrote:

The NSS volume on the restored server will not mount, seemingly because there is no network connectivity and it is unable to connect to the tree. I have gone through the steps in TID 7006574 making sure that namcd and ndsd are running.

Which error are you getting? I'm assuming you have tried to mount pool and volume using nssmu?

To have the nic flip to a connected state, if you have an extra nic in your esx(i) server that is not in use, add a new network bond to that device (the idea being that it's not connected to the network or ends up in a network for which the VM is not configured so there will be no communication between this resotred VM and your live network).

First off, I'm curious to know more about the errors or messages you are getting when trying to manually mount the pool & volume using nssmu.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
samsa1mi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Willem,

Thank you for the reply.

When running the nssmu command I get "NSS Management Utility - ERROR Either the Admin Volume was not found or you don't have the rights to access it." I am logged in as root.

When running the ndsd start command I get:

"Executing customized settings before starting the Novell eDirectory server....
Starting Novell eDirectory server.... done

Novell eDirectory LDAP Server is not listening on the TCP port.
Novell eDirectory LDAP Server is not listening on the TLS port."

It is true that there is no network connectivity.

Then when I run ndsd status I get:

"Failed to obtain Novell eDirectory Server connection to groupwise.OU=???.O=?????.TREE or Novell eDirectory Server is not running dead"

It is true that the eDirectory server is not running.

I will try your suggestion of putting the VM on a "dead" network and let you know the results.

Thank you.

David
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

samsa1mi;2245387 wrote:
It is true that the eDirectory server is not running.

That is the first problem indeed.... NSS will need the ndsd and namcd services running to function. You could get this running by reconfiguring services to listen on localhost, but you'll need network connectivity anyway to be able to get stuff off the server. Having an isolated network you run this in would be most straight forward.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.