Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mount OES 11.2 nss-Volume on SLES11.3 via NFS

Hello I am newbie on this forum.

Have somebody mount a OES11.2-Nss-Vol on a SLES11.3 via NFS successfully?

I trying this since 3 days. without success.

Can somebody say, what parameter I need in /etc/exports and what I need into /etc/fstab?

that would be super
Thanks very much
Gene
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bob-O-Rama;2340447 wrote:
All of our web servers are just heads for htdocs which live on NSS volumes served up from other systems. We have been doing this for ~10 years and it has worked fine.

So sure you can mount a NSS volume(s) via CIFS over top of /srv/www/htdocs and serve up that content via Apache, it works well. The distinct advantage of that arrangement is that you can create a user login for the mount which does not have rights to modify the contents be served up.

Should the Apache instance get compromised, even root compromise, your underlying web content cannot be corrupted, as even root would not have the ability to modify it.

Also have have all the good features of NSS, like snapshots, salvage, and robust rights assignments.

But yeah, we have been doing that for 10 years. It works.

-- Bob

I am trying to do this exact thing to get rid of an old netware box that is mounted on a centOS webserver. The nfs export on netware seemed to work much better, but are you suggesting to use NFS or CIFS with OES ? I seem to be able to mount the nss volume from OES, but when I try to access a page I receive a permission denied error.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.