Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Moving data on one pool/volume to another on the same server

Good afternoon,

I apologize if I have missed this topic some where else in the forums
during my search.

Setup:
SLES10 SP4 with OES2 SP3 virtualized on ESXi 5
NSS
3 HDD (40GB OS drive, 1TB on SAN, 1 TB of Local Storage)

We have NSS setup on both of the 1TB "drives"
I want to move the data from

SAN: Pool="Volumes", Volume="DATA"

to

Local Storage: Pool="Local", Volume="DATA2"

Can I just copy the data on the server from
/media/nss/DATA
to
/media/nss/DATA2

Or do I need to follow some other technique? File rights should remain
the same (authenticated users have Read & Filescan) and can be easily
adjusted after the move.

Thank you.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
16 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You shold be able to use the GUI migration too or the migfiles command line tool to do this - it will preserve the rights for you

failing that, if the permissions are very basic and you can put up with recreating them, copying the files between the volumes as the root user should also work, just remember to recreate your permissions afterwards

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gleach1;2195253 wrote:
You shold be able to use the GUI migration too or the migfiles command line tool to do this - it will preserve the rights for you

failing that, if the permissions are very basic and you can put up with recreating them, copying the files between the volumes as the root user should also work, just remember to recreate your permissions afterwards

What if the permissions are complex and it would be a major hassle to re-create them? I've run into nearly the exact same issue, I've attached a SAN to the server however the server itself needs to be decomissioned so I'd rather not simply expand the NSS pool across the direct attached storage and a SAN. I'd rather migrate / copy / move the existing NSS pool (and volumes obviously) to the SAN for when I retire the old server I can simply attach the SAN to the newly provisioned server.

I've looked at the miggui tool and am obviously missing (if it's possible) how to move the NSS pool, and the migfiles cli option isn't terribly descriptive in how to do this either.

Any hints on how exactly to use either tool to perform this?

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

amginenigma;2215213 wrote:
What if the permissions are complex and it would be a major hassle to re-create them? I've run into nearly the exact same issue, I've attached a SAN to the server however the server itself needs to be decomissioned so I'd rather not simply expand the NSS pool across the direct attached storage and a SAN. I'd rather migrate / copy / move the existing NSS pool (and volumes obviously) to the SAN for when I retire the old server I can simply attach the SAN to the newly provisioned server.

I've looked at the miggui tool and am obviously missing (if it's possible) how to move the NSS pool, and the migfiles cli option isn't terribly descriptive in how to do this either.

Any hints on how exactly to use either tool to perform this?

If you were on OES11, I think you could run the poolmove utility.
With miggui you don't really MOVE the data, it COPIES the data (although to be honest, I've NEVER done it on the same server, nor do I know if you CAN use it to move data from the same server).

Another option if you want to MOVE it, is to use DST. Just name the new volume DATA or whatever you want it to be, shadow it, shift ALL the files over, then break the shadow and delete the source volume.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the quick suggestion! I will give it a try. It seems to me that this cannot be an uncommon occurrence in the server world today, you'd think Novell would find a way to make moving a pool from one physical location to another much easier than it currently appears to be.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

On 24.08.2012 23:46, amginenigma wrote:
>
> Thanks for the quick suggestion! I will give it a try. It seems to me
> that this cannot be an uncommon occurrence in the server world today,
> you'd think Novell would find a way to make moving a pool from one
> physical location to another much easier than it currently appears to
> be.

But there *are* countless options, all of which work:

1. Use miggui. Yes, it works. Yes, even on the same server. There's
really nothing overly complicated about it.

2. Use NSS mirroring, mirror the existing partition(s) over, remove,
break mirror. Absolutely 100% 1:1 block level copy. With the extremely
nice addition that it runs perfectly well while online, aka your
downtime for the "copy" process is zero.

3. In OES11, there's a utility to move a pool. OES11 exists, so Novell
*does* have yet another way.

4. If you enable xattr support on NSS, you can use any regular linux
copy utility you like (that supports xattr), and it'ss preserve the
trustees.

5. Heck, even the good ole linux way of using DD to yop the whole drive
block by block will work just fine.

Not enough? 😉

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nope that's plenty, simply didn't have the correct terms (seems my google-fu is AWOL lately).

So the NSS mirror option would be best, however for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it. According to the OES2 SP3: NSS file system admin guide all you have to do is using nssmu select Partitions, from the existing partitions select the nss partition to mirror; then press F3 and it's supposed to present a list of available devices. However I press F3 (mind you I have two 2TB iSCSI devices attached) and I get an information warning:

To create or expand a RAID 0 device or a RAID 1 mirror group you need free partition space on at least two devices.....

What am I doing wrong? If I press F3 from the 'pools' menu I see the two 2TB devices which I can expand the volume to which to me indicates that nssmu 'sees' these two devices. I also note that it states "Mirrored partitions must have same partition type: NSS part to NSS part, etc.." So to make a 'nss' partition you have to make a pool, which I did from one of the 2TB drives (which again tells me nssmu sees the devices), went back to make the mirror and it gives the same exact error stating there is no free space. I've even gone into YaST and given the drive a 'partition' with no formatting. If I perform this nssmu sees the partition, and it sees it as a linux partition so it won't let me do anything with it (states to use YaST to manage this partition type).

It's the same issue I was having with the miggui tool, I can see my current data just fine; I can see the new devices just fine, but the mirroring (copy) tools don't seem to be on the same page as to the availability of the new devices.

I do know about dd however we are a 24x7 public safety operation, the users tend to get kinda pissed about down time so if I can make a live mirror / copy / whatever work that's what I'd prefer to do before heading to management with my hair on fire about how we must incur down time or we will explode the servers (yes it takes nearly an act of Congress to get them to let me down these things).

So again I state, obviously I am missing something and am wondering if anyone can dummy down the directions for me as I must be reading something into the directions listed in the admin guides.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

amginenigma;2215469 wrote:
Nope that's plenty, simply didn't have the correct terms (seems my google-fu is AWOL lately).

So the NSS mirror option would be best, however for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it. According to the OES2 SP3: NSS file system admin guide all you have to do is using nssmu select Partitions, from the existing partitions select the nss partition to mirror; then press F3 and it's supposed to present a list of available devices. However I press F3 (mind you I have two 2TB iSCSI devices attached) and I get an information warning:

To create or expand a RAID 0 device or a RAID 1 mirror group you need free partition space on at least two devices.....

What am I doing wrong? If I press F3 from the 'pools' menu I see the two 2TB devices which I can expand the volume to which to me indicates that nssmu 'sees' these two devices. I also note that it states "Mirrored partitions must have same partition type: NSS part to NSS part, etc.." So to make a 'nss' partition you have to make a pool, which I did from one of the 2TB drives (which again tells me nssmu sees the devices), went back to make the mirror and it gives the same exact error stating there is no free space. I've even gone into YaST and given the drive a 'partition' with no formatting. If I perform this nssmu sees the partition, and it sees it as a linux partition so it won't let me do anything with it (states to use YaST to manage this partition type).

It's the same issue I was having with the miggui tool, I can see my current data just fine; I can see the new devices just fine, but the mirroring (copy) tools don't seem to be on the same page as to the availability of the new devices.

I do know about dd however we are a 24x7 public safety operation, the users tend to get kinda pissed about down time so if I can make a live mirror / copy / whatever work that's what I'd prefer to do before heading to management with my hair on fire about how we must incur down time or we will explode the servers (yes it takes nearly an act of Congress to get them to let me down these things).

So again I state, obviously I am missing something and am wondering if anyone can dummy down the directions for me as I must be reading something into the directions listed in the admin guides.

Thanks,

I'm probably wrong (Massimo can correct me on this one --he's done mirroring far more often than I ever did), but I believe that you just create a new disk/LUN and go into NSSMU and initialize the NEW DEVICE and create a partition then.

Creating a POOL is not the same as a partition as I believe it then marks the partition as being "used"?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the fast reply,

I've done almost exactly that. I've created two LUN's to play with. In NSSMU in the 'Devices' menu I highlight the new disk (lun) and press F3 to initialize it. After initializing however... how do you create a partition? Under the 'Partitions' menu if you select the new drive (lun) and press Ins it will tell you Information:

NSS creates partitions for you when you create a pool...

That's why earlier I tried creating a 'pool' because the error message I get indicates needing free partition space, and creating a pool is how nssmu wants to do that.

Again thanks,

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

amginenigma;2215474 wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply,

I've done almost exactly that. I've created two LUN's to play with. In NSSMU in the 'Devices' menu I highlight the new disk (lun) and press F3 to initialize it. After initializing however... how do you create a partition? Under the 'Partitions' menu if you select the new drive (lun) and press Ins it will tell you Information:

NSS creates partitions for you when you create a pool...

That's why earlier I tried creating a 'pool' because the error message I get indicates needing free partition space, and creating a pool is how nssmu wants to do that.

Again thanks,

To be honest, I'm not sure. I only ever tried it once and I didn't find the docs very clear.

There's THIS doc section:
Novell Documentation

Which doesn't quite seem to be the same as THIS doc section (which SEEMS what you want to do??)

Novell Documentation
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You nailed it with the 1st link (which is the one I've been reading). I want to mirror an existing pool, then as noted above break that pool; thereby allowing me to expand the new device to a full 2TB (this whole fiasco is due to us running out of space). Problem is as noted above I can't seem to get nssmu to agree that there is an available device to 'mirror' to. Using iManager I get a totally different result. Following the wizard it will allow me to choose the two new 2TB disks and mirror those together, but it will not show me the current NSS pool so that I can mirror that.

Again thanks for the quick replies,

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

amginenigma;2215506 wrote:
You nailed it with the 1st link (which is the one I've been reading). I want to mirror an existing pool, then as noted above break that pool; thereby allowing me to expand the new device to a full 2TB (this whole fiasco is due to us running out of space). Problem is as noted above I can't seem to get nssmu to agree that there is an available device to 'mirror' to. Using iManager I get a totally different result. Following the wizard it will allow me to choose the two new 2TB disks and mirror those together, but it will not show me the current NSS pool so that I can mirror that.

Again thanks for the quick replies,

Massimo will be able to get you going, I'm sure.

I vaguely remember going through the same motions/pains as you are when trying to do this a while back.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.