Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
9555269 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NCS and 'top' load average

On an OES2 SLES server running NCS, single CPU core, 'rcnovell-ncs start' sees the "Load average" in 'top' got from .0x-.2x up to 5.x. This happens on all my servers running NCS.

'rcnovell-ncs stop' and "Load average" calms back down.

What does NCS do that causes "Load average" to increase by 5 (presumably indicating a fivefold increase in resource load) when the service is loaded?

READ THIS BEFORE REPLYING:
Please don't take this the wrong way - there are several posts on this topic that haven't been addressed. Please don't respond with guesses or a "this happens to me too". It clearly is an issue. Novell is more likely respond if this thread isn't responded to in a couple of days... Thanks for understanding.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
changju Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NCS and 'top' load average

Short story, this has been fixed in SP2.

Longer story, NCS depends on other components for thread/process management before SP2. We switch to Linux native APIs (to improve performance and manageability) in SP2.

Regards,

Changju

Here is what I have on my SP2 cluster,

#2 root@CG_05:~ # cluster view

Cluster cgao_sp2_gmc_cluster
This node CG_05 [ epoch 6 master node CG_05 ]
Cluster nodes [ CG_01, CG_02, CG_03, CG_04, CG_05 ]

#3 root@CG_05:~ # uptime
8:59am up 2 days 19:38, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.08

9555269;1870129 wrote:
On an OES2 SLES server running NCS, single CPU core, 'rcnovell-ncs start' sees the "Load average" in 'top' got from .0x-.2x up to 5.x. This happens on all my servers running NCS.

What does NCS do that causes "Load average" to increase by 5 (presumably indicating a fivefold increase in resource load) when the service is loaded?

Please don't take this the wrong way - there are several posts on this topic that haven't been addressed. Please don't respond with guesses or a "this happens to me too". It clearly is an issue. Novell is more likely respond if this thread isn't responded to in a couple of days... Thanks for understanding.
0 Likes
9555269 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are there any other products in OES that have this feature?
0 Likes
Highlighted
9555269 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

and by the way, whats the ETA for SP2?
0 Likes
changju Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am authorized to say that SP2 will be available in Q4 (11/09 - 1/10).

As for why NCS increases server load, we depend on other components for process/thread management and NCS has no control. I think NCS threads/processes are reported to the OS differently.

Starting from SP2, we switch to Linux native APIs.

Best regards,

Changju

9555269;1870129 wrote:

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.