superwashu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NFA Mac home directories... a good idea?

We currently run a "magic triangle" configuration with OS X Server handling preference management and home directories.

We would like to minimize the use of OS X Server as much as possible -- the next version (10.6) won't support our hardware (a two year old XServe G5) and... well I haven't been too pleased with Apple's server offerings since I started using them.

My simple question: Is it okay to use the NetWare homes as Mac homes via NFA? I already know it is possible -- I've set it up by modifying a client's fstab -- my question to people who may have tested it more than me is "are there any gotchas?"

Assuming this can work well, how are people doing it? /etc/fstab isn't really an option on a multi-user system.

thanks for any input!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
superwashu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NFA Mac home directories... a good idea?

To answer my 2nd question "how are people doing it" it is simply a matter of adding mount objects with appropriate attributes. I believe this was stated elsewhere in the forum but I didn't really understand it at the time (I'm not an eDir guy)

Here are the records/attributes I'm using on the mount object.

cn = 10.9.7.10:/staff-network-drive

apple-mountDirectory = /Network/Servers

apple-mountOption = net
-------------------- = url==afp://;AUTH=NO%20USER%20AUTHENT@10.9.7.10/staff-network-drive
(that's two values for this one)

apple-mountType = url

And on the test user (stevejobs, of course!) I have

OSX Home = /Network/Servers/10.9.7.10/staff-network-drive/USERS/stevejobs
(generally one uses apple-user-homeDirectory for this but we had trouble mapping it with Emu)

apple-user-homeurl = <home_dir><url>afp://10.9.7.10/staff-network-drive</url><path>USERS/stevejobs</path></home_dir>

For Mac folks wanting to know how this relates to mounting with Connect To Server, basically you tell it afp://10.9.7.10, select staff-network-drive from the list, and the USERS folder is in the root level of that volume.

Hope this is helpful for someone.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.