Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

NFS issues after reboot

OES 2015 SP1 server upgraded to OES 2018 SP1.  Running GroupWise 18.  GroupWise Disaster Recovery is backing up the GroupWise server.  It needs NFS access to the GroupWise server.  All was fine while on 2015.  Since upgrading to 2018, backups will fail if the GroupWise server gets rebooted.  So far the only fix I have found is to go to yast > network services > nfs server.  I select next and verify the settings, then finish and quit.  Then DR is able to connect and complete the backup.  I am assuming there is some service or something that is getting started when I go through the yast process, but I haven't been able to figure out what it might be.  "nfs-server.service" is already enabled.  Any suggestions?

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums within this community!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: NFS issues after reboot

Hi Ken

I think

- OES2015 is based on SLES11SP4 and init, OES2018SP1 is based on SLES12SP3 ans systemd, services are starting parallel with systemd

- nfs-server is failing start, because NFS-Share points to a directory on NSS-Volume, but it is not mounted at this time --> systemctl --failed   --> shows failed services after bootup

we have configured dependencies of nfs-server:

/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service

[Unit]
Description=NFS server and services
DefaultDependencies=no
Requires= network.target proc-fs-nfsd.mount media-nss-[VOLUME-NAME].mount
Requires= nfs-mountd.service
Wants=rpcbind.socket
Wants=rpc-statd.service nfs-idmapd.service media-nss-[VOLUME-NAME].mount

Reconfigure systemd with: systemctl daemon-reload

After startup of server, nfs-server starts after mounting volume and you should be fine.

Markus

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Errata: use "systemctl reenable nfs-server.service" instead of systemctl deamon-reload
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Steps I actually took were to copy /usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.d/nfsserver.conf to /etc/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.d/nfsserver.conf

Then edited /etc/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.d/nfsserver.conf  - adding the lines that @markusernst recommended with the appropriate volume name.

Then ran "systemctl reenable nfs-server.service" as mentioned in the follow-up post.

Looks like that solved it.  Thanks!

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums within this community!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@markusernst   I spoke too soon.  That did not solve it.  I did not realize that nfs-server.service had not started due to a dependency issue.  nfs-mountd.service was not running, so nfs-server.service did not start.  I manually started nfs-mountd and then I was able to start nfs-server.

So my only concern is that I cannot enable nfs-mountd.service.  If I try, it still stays listed as static.  How do I ensure that nfs-mountd will start?

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Does it work if you just restart the nfs daemon once logged in after reboot? If so, it's still possible to execute stuff via /etc/init.d/after.local

The process is somewhat "re-routed" via "after-local.service" (note the dash ), you might want to check

systemctl is-enabled after-local

While this "solution" would be rather dirty it's merely a "fire and forget" one, and you wouldn't have to tamper with daemon files which might get overwritten by updates.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Not sure...I need to setup a quick test server because I can't keep rebooting my production GroupWise server.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Tell the users they've been migrated to Exchange  and you'll have unlimited reboots without complaints.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.