Highlighted
Demaximis Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NSS Folder Quota

I have a strange problem with my NSS volume. I have the NSS Volume on a SLES 11 SP2 (eDirectory 8.8 SP7), and everything related to the NSS Volume appears to be ok except one thing. When I change any of the Attributes under Properties for Any folder (as admin) and click Apply a check mark appears for the Restrict Size. I can't remove it while I am in NetStorage (when I click on the box to remove the check mark and then click on OK or Apply, the check mark magically reappears (I checked under my desk and no one is there with a magnet!). The only way is by using ncpcon and using the /NoDirectoryQuotas. Is this a known bug or am I missing some kind of update? Thanks!
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NSS Folder Quota

Demaximis;2237653 wrote:
I have a strange problem with my NSS volume. I have the NSS Volume on a SLES 11 SP2 (eDirectory 8.8 SP7), and everything related to the NSS Volume appears to be ok except one thing. When I change any of the Attributes under Properties for Any folder (as admin) and click Apply a check mark appears for the Restrict Size. I can't remove it while I am in NetStorage (when I click on the box to remove the check mark and then click on OK or Apply, the check mark magically reappears (I checked under my desk and no one is there with a magnet!). The only way is by using ncpcon and using the /NoDirectoryQuotas. Is this a known bug or am I missing some kind of update? Thanks!

Where and how are you editing the attributes?

For example, with the Novell Client 4.91 SP5 on XP, if I right-click a folder and select Properties, there's only two attributes I can check:
Read Only
and
Hidden

Of course, Windows thinks every file on an NCP share is 'read only" so it gives a false positive.
0 Likes
Demaximis Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I login via a web browser (Chrome) as admin and I don't have the Novell Client on the server (Windows 2008) that I use to access it. I set the Rename and Delete Inhibit and click Apply when the Quota becomes enabled. Is that the issue, that I'm going thru a web browser?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Demaximis;2237673 wrote:
I login via a web browser (Chrome) as admin and I don't have the Novell Client on the server (Windows 2008) that I use to access it. I set the Rename and Delete Inhibit and click Apply when the Quota becomes enabled. Is that the issue, that I'm going thru a web browser?

1) I don't believe Chrome is supported with the browser for OES
2) Which portion are you logging into? You can set quotas via iManager or via NetStorage I believe.
0 Likes
Demaximis Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am logged into netstorage directly, not through iManager. I had too many java hickups using iManager so I just quit using it for NetStorage. I don't, (well, not suppose to have), any disk quotas enabled but after I set those attributes it's enabled. When I go into nsscon it informs me that the disk quota is enabled. When I reset the disk quota and go back into netstorage using Chrome the check mark is gone.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Demaximis;2237679 wrote:
I am logged into netstorage directly, not through iManager. I had too many java hickups using iManager so I just quit using it for NetStorage. I don't, (well, not suppose to have), any disk quotas enabled but after I set those attributes it's enabled. When I go into nsscon it informs me that the disk quota is enabled. When I reset the disk quota and go back into netstorage using Chrome the check mark is gone.

Try using IE instead

I've not ever used NetStorage to adjust Attributes to be honest, so it's possible it's a fluke.

Which attributes are you enabling/disabling?
0 Likes
Demaximis Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am enabling the Rename inhibit and the Delete inhibit attributes. I just tried in IE (9) and it did the same thing. I then went into my SLES server and logged in to NetStorage using Firefox AND it did the same thing! I'm thinking about opening an SR on this! Thanks for all your suggestions!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Demaximis;2237687 wrote:
I am enabling the Rename inhibit and the Delete inhibit attributes. I just tried in IE (9) and it did the same thing. I then went into my SLES server and logged in to NetStorage using Firefox AND it did the same thing! I'm thinking about opening an SR on this! Thanks for all your suggestions!

Okay I just duplicated this

However, it appears it's false.

Meaning, ANY change you make in NetStorage via Properties, causes the "restrict size" box to be checked
Even UNCHECKING it, and clicking apply re-checks it

However, I verified with the Novell Client, that it doesn't actually set the space restriction (Novell Client still reports NO QUOTA)
0 Likes
Demaximis Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Interesting! When I go into nsscon it displays that the Directory Quota is enabled. And, when I run the command: nss /NoDirectoryQuotas=DATA it comes back stating that the directory quota has been disabled. I also ran the /NoUserSpaceRestrictions and it comes back stating that it is already disabled. Hmmm....
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Demaximis;2237693 wrote:
Interesting! When I go into nsscon it displays that the Directory Quota is enabled. And, when I run the command: nss /NoDirectoryQuotas=DATA it comes back stating that the directory quota has been disabled. I also ran the /NoUserSpaceRestrictions and it comes back stating that it is already disabled. Hmmm....

nsscon reports I believe, the volume attributes.

In other words, You can enable directory quotas on the volume in order to actually SET a quota

You can't set quotas on a directory unless you enable the feature on the volume.

You may wish to read the NSS Admin guide to explain further the volume attributes vs. file and folder attributes.

But either way it appears to be a cosmetic bug in NetStorage where it falsely reports (or maybe NOT so cosmetic in that it CHECKS the box for you), when in reality, it's not actually setting a quota.
0 Likes
Demaximis Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It's not falsely reporting the quota though! After the first time it happened, (I didn't notice it had put a check mark in the box), I started getting calls that no one could save to that folder or any folder under it. I went to the user to get a better understanding what was happening and it showed there wasn't any more space available. Our nss volume is 996 GB with 600 GB available, so I knew it wasn't due to low disk space. Looking through the admin document is how I found out about the nsscon and how to manually set the directory quota. After I removed the directory quota the user was able to save. Somehow the quota is enabled automatically when ever I try to set an attribute. I understand the difference between setting volume attributes versus a file or folder attributes (really, I do). I'm working with a folder, not the volume, when the disk quota is enabled for that folder (and every folder under it) when I set the Delete Inhibit attribute or any other attribute.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Demaximis;2237741 wrote:
It's not falsely reporting the quota though! After the first time it happened, (I didn't notice it had put a check mark in the box), I started getting calls that no one could save to that folder or any folder under it. I went to the user to get a better understanding what was happening and it showed there wasn't any more space available. Our nss volume is 996 GB with 600 GB available, so I knew it wasn't due to low disk space. Looking through the admin document is how I found out about the nsscon and how to manually set the directory quota. After I removed the directory quota the user was able to save. Somehow the quota is enabled automatically when ever I try to set an attribute. I understand the difference between setting volume attributes versus a file or folder attributes (really, I do). I'm working with a folder, not the volume, when the disk quota is enabled for that folder (and every folder under it) when I set the Delete Inhibit attribute or any other attribute.

Do you have a workstation with the Novell Client on it to verify?

At least in my setup, (OES2 SP3, on SLES 10 SP3 with latest patches) NetStorage falsely indicates that it's setting a restriction of 0kb, while all my other tools (Novell client) indicate that there IS no quota set on the folder in question.

Just wondering if perhaps there's more than one thing going on.

The reason I ask is that if you're saying nsscon shows no quotas or you're disabling directory quotas, then there shouldn't be any way to set a directory quota regardless.
0 Likes
Demaximis Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I verified on a workstation with the Novell client and it too shows that "Space Available: 0KB". I even tried to save a file to that folder with the restrictions and it won't let me due to no space available. I can click on the client's Change button and choose Unlimited and it sets it back.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Demaximis;2237810 wrote:
I verified on a workstation with the Novell client and it too shows that "Space Available: 0KB". I even tried to save a file to that folder with the restrictions and it won't let me due to no space available. I can click on the client's Change button and choose Unlimited and it sets it back.

Okay that's good. So it seems in either event:
1) NetStorage is checking the box when it shouldn't
and
2) In my case, it falsely reports there's a quota when there is not

I'm guessing #1 would be the priority. I've passed along the info to Novell, but IF you have the ability to open an SR, I'd strongly suggest you do so, as that MAY throw some more weight to getting a fix (although I'm not so sure).

In the meantime, can you use or try iManager to set the attributes?

The interface is a bit clunky, but if you don't have the ability to use the Novell Client, then I'd say that'd be your next best bet.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Demaximis;2237653 wrote:

So as of now, a defect has been entered. Defect #796347
If you wish to pursue this, you can open an SR and have them reference the defect # and they should credit you for the SR.

IF they do not, let me know and we'll see about getting that resolved/addressed.

Thank you for reporting this.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.