Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

NSS - How can folder size exceed Vol size?

Here is my weird issue of the month. 😄

Backups using Data Protector Express were suddenly reporting that 5.4TB was being backed up on one of the OES 11 SP1 ( I know, I know very old!) servers.

This was more than a little odd because the server's NSS volume is only about 1.3TB in size!  Along with this the backups were running much slower and into business hours.

The first thing I did was to double check the NSS volume properties and it was still at 1.3TB in size. 

du -sh /media/nss/volname also gave the correct size.

So I suspected an issue with the backup software - corrupt backup job, broken agent, etc.  I also checked for long file names or strange sparse files.  But no joy.

In the end rather than rely on the Volume properties, by using right click properties, a folder was found in that volume that had a size of 3.83TB.  There were many large 40-50GB PDF files that were recently unzipped in there.

Attached is a screen shot of both the volume size and the problem folder in the volume.

After deleting the problem folder, everything was back to normal.

Has anyone seen such a thing? Is this a sign of some underlying issue with NSS?  Should we be proceeding with an NSS verify?

Vol versus folder size.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NSS - How can folder size exceed Vol size?

Most likely sparse files, not a problem technically. But yes, your system is outdated (hint, hint)

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In the end rather than rely on the Volume properties, by using right click properties, a folder was found in that volume that had a size of 3.83TB.  There were many large 40-50GB PDF files that were recently unzipped in there.

where those files even readable?

I've see files corrupted and suddenly much larger like that. Sometime partially readable, sometimes just garbage sparse files. 
- Most often as either zipped or unzipped by something that couldn't properly handle larger files(so makes them look even bigger)
- once due to a failing RAID controller, but those were scattered all over the volumes affected. (long chain of cheap power bars and other hardware issues, but they blamed the software, sigh)

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

@KonecnyAI didn't even try to read the files.  The end user delete the folder and that was it.  I was concerned we may need some sort of nss maintenance, but as I dont' recall ever seeing such an problem, I'm on to the next thing 🙂

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.