Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
billykot28 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NSS Migration to new volume

Hi guys,

I've migrated NSS volumes from Netware to OES2 Linux Server. Unfortunately I have many hard coded links and paths to folders and files around my environment that point to the old server and volume, even though I've named the volume exactly the same on the new server and changed DNS records of the old server name to point to the new box. Is there a way of doing this via edirectory ?

Thank you for any advice in advance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: NSS Migration to new volume

Sorry I forgot to wrote, despite making the dns changes and etc it still reverts back to the old volume. Is there a way of making this work via edirectory ? Even if just a quick solution while we find a better one.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If you use an ID Transfer in conjunction with the data migration, you can do this.

That's why we did ID Transfers.

Otherwise you end up with a new UNC path and server name like:
\\newserver\volume

And if your stuff is "hard coded" with the UNC path, you run into problems.

You MAY (and I stress "may") be able to accomplish this with DNS entries provided your Novell Client is set to resolve via DNS.

And that assumes of course, that the old server is gone because basically you're going to create a CNAME of:
oldservername -> newservername

and an A record of:
newservername = new IP address
0 Likes
Absent Member.

The old server is still there, and all the hard coded UNC paths go to it and this works. But users are still accessing the data from the old server and volume. The novell client to setup to use DNS, SLP and NCP. And DNS is setup with a cname to point the old server to the A record of the new box.

kjhurni;2149190 wrote:
If you use an ID Transfer in conjunction with the data migration, you can do this.

That's why we did ID Transfers.

Otherwise you end up with a new UNC path and server name like:
\\newserver\volume

And if your stuff is "hard coded" with the UNC path, you run into problems.

You MAY (and I stress "may") be able to accomplish this with DNS entries provided your Novell Client is set to resolve via DNS.

And that assumes of course, that the old server is gone because basically you're going to create a CNAME of:
oldservername -> newservername

and an A record of:
newservername = new IP address
0 Likes
Absent Member.

We are trying to get rid of the old server, it has no purpose anymore. The data first needs to be accessed from the new server for us to do this.

I have avoided an ID transfer as it's failed in the past.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hmmm, the only way I can think of without messing up the old server is to use drive mappings.

I've not had any issues with data migration (meaning once the data is onto the new server, it's either there or it's not). The miggui does a great job of preserving the trustees, quotas, etc.

As long as your tree is healthy and LUM is working properly, the ID Transfer (at this point, assuming you're at least at OES2 SP2 or SP3 preferably) works fine. There was a horrendous bug in SP1, but that was a long time ago.

Unfortunately IF you decide to go the route of the ID transfer, you'll have to redo your current OES2 SPx server because you need to install it with the pre-migration pattern during installation time. (You can't add it on after the fact).

😞
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.