Highlighted
ow Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

NSS - Number of Characters Allowed - Directory depth limitation - limit 255

Hello *,

since Windows-10 the Client is able to work with directories and files in extrem long paths (1024 at least).

This is true for Windows-Server-NTFS-shares (after setting the according parameter in the Client-registry).

On NSS-Volumes the Windows-Client is NOT able to work with characters greater than 255 characters.

Does anyone know if this is true. AND

Does anyone know how to enable support for "extreme long paths" on NSS-Volumes - for Windows10-64-Users with current OES-Client2SP4IR11/12)?

Thanks

Oskar

PS.: We are still working with NetWare but - as far as I know - there is no difference between NSS on NetWare and NSS on OES201x

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Jesus Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: NSS - Number of Characters Allowed - Directory depth limitation - limit 255

For us, the limit has rarely been an issue, but I've have run into it a few times, and a more structured flatter filesystem solved it, and was easier to manage afterwards. 

Some end users on unstructured filesystems have no concept of efficiency and create long paths similar to this:

\\Books\Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs\Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs chapter 1\etc

which could easily be:

\\Books\Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs\Chapter 1\etc

I'm sure plenty of sys admins have seen such a thing!

I haven't looked into this aspect, but even if NTFS and Win 10 support such long path/filenames, would all software do so as well?  Years ago there were plenty of issues with some software requiring 8.3 filenames  on newer filesystems.

0 Likes
ow Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hello Jesus,

thank you for your reply. We know about the disadvantages when accessing files in deep paths (specially when using different protocols, software-products, ...).

But, in some divisions (or, lets say "some NSS-Volumes") of our university, it would make sense to allow more than 255 characters, realy.

As far as I know,  the Maximum directory tree depth of NSS is limited only by client ... This sounds good, but this makes no sense (to me) unless the Client can use this in a usual working environement (like NCP access over OES-Client).

Thanks for some more comments and facts.

Oskar

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hello Oskar,

In NSS, the length of each component in a path is limited to 255 characters. However, the full path length can be as large as 4096 characters. 

Could you please let us know whether you use CIFS or NCP to map the drive and access files? 

Thanks,

Girish

0 Likes
ow Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hello Girish,

we are using NCP (OES-Client2SP4IR12), at the moment.
(In the medium term, we plan to migrate to CIFS - in order to get rid of the OES-Client ...)

If we talk about files and paths:
What exactly do you mean with "... each component in a path is limited to 255 characters."?

Is it concerning the UNC-name of a file (e.g.:\\<servername>\<volumename>\<dir>\<sub>\...\<filename>), or
is it concerning the mapped-name of a file (e.g.: M:\<dir>\<subd>\...\<filename>), or
is it concerning the root mapped-name of a file (e.g.: M:\<filename>).

Do you know, what it does mean, if we try to access the files using AFP;
Do you know, what it does mean, if we try to access the files using FTP;
Do you know, what it does mean, if we try to access the files using NetStorage;

Thank you for your help. I appreciate that very much.

Oskar

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@ow wrote:

Hello Girish,

we are using NCP (OES-Client2SP4IR12), at the moment.
(In the medium term, we plan to migrate to CIFS - in order to get rid of the OES-Client ...)

If we talk about files and paths:
What exactly do you mean with "... each component in a path is limited to 255 characters."?

Like in native windows too, each directory name or filename in a path can't be longer than 255 characters.

FWIW: Up to today, Windows Explorer itself can't deal with long path names. As such, I consider long path names in general a techical preview that in real world nobody can seriously use. While the filesystems and some programs may be able to use them, the main interface humans use to deal with files can't. What's the use?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
ow Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hello Massimo,
thank you for opinion.

It makes no sense to discuss when, or if it is useful to enabe long file-paths. This is our decision, only.

Sorry, but we are interested in the facs only. 

No harm meant!

Oskar

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, that Windows Explorer can't deal with such files *is* a (not widely known) fact. No harm meant.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
ow Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

upps - Yes, this is correct!
Thank you Massimo!

More detailed:

The Windows-Explorer (and its Command-Window) can create and delete folders with more than 1000 characters, at least (on NTFS).

But,
Windows is not able to use it (copy or save files to the long-path folders).
That's true even if the registry "LongPathsEnabled" is set to 1.

So I agree: This would makes no sense on NSS-Volumes for Windows-Clients.

Just for clarification and informational purposes:
Is there the same restriction when accessing the nss-Volume over
NetSorage, AFP, FTP ?

Oskar

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.