UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NSS Pool deactivating

Hi,

I have started having a few issues with some of our Netware servers 6.5SP8 with Pools de activating.
Unfortunately these servers have only one pool with all the data volumes & SYS in it and are around 650GB in size.
I can't remeber exactly the errors on screen but after rebooting I ran a verify (which took around 8 hours) which came up saying no errors, but "WARNINGS
Unaccounted Blocks Exist."

I am not sure what this means. About 5 weeks after this it happened again. After a reboot all is fine but now I am wondering if I should do a full rebuild?
Current NSS verion is N65NSS8a. I have the next version, N65NSS8c here which I will apply tonight, should I leave it at that to see what it does or do a rebuild after that as well?

This is a standard file & print server, runs GWise, plus a few other services like DHCP, printing etc. I know all the warnings about there being a good chance of files being lost etc but just how much of a chance is there?
Especially in the GWise side - this is the server in HO and the GW PO is around 200GB so I am a bit hessitant.

This is from the VLF log - I am not sure what to interpret from it..
Any ideas folks?
I am pretty confident it is not a hardware issue but, who knows.

Thanks - Mark

21 Jul 2012 11:57:28
ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ
ERRORS
NONE.
WARNINGS
Unaccounted Blocks Exist.
Pool: AQ Total Size: 697864 Meg (178653696 blocks)
------- Pool Scan Report -------
Crosslinked Blocks.................0
Unaccounted Blocks...............221
Free Tree Blocks.............(50)599
Object Tree Blocks.................4
Name Tree Blocks...................1
Journal Blocks................528854
Purge Log Blocks...................9
Super Blocks......................64
Pool Info Blocks...................2
Other Tree Blocks..............22671
Used By Pool..................552256
Total In Use...............151812375
Unused Blocks...............26841321
Total Blocks...............178653696
Highest LSN.......0x00000005BB492FBF
Lowest LSN........0x0000000000000000
Object Tree Entries................6
Object Special Entries.............7
Salvage Tree Entries.........1110891

------ Pool System Report ------
Total Blocks................178653696
Blocks in Use...............151812375
Purgeable Blocks.............14567746
Non-Purgeable blocks................0
Pool Info Blocks....................2

----- Salvage System Report ----
Salvage Entries W/O IDs.............0
Salvage Entries W/O names...........0
Salvage Parents W/O IDs.............0
Salvage Parents W/O names...........0
Salvagable Objects..................0
Salvagable Blocks............14567746
Object Tree Levels..................2
Name Tree Levels....................1
Salvage Tree Levels.................4
User Rest. Tree Levels..............1
MFL Tree Levels.....................0
Logical Vols NOT Verified...........0
Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Hi,

You need to determine what trigegred the pool to deactivate. Its usually going to be I/O failures on the storage. This can be a flaky controller, flaky disk, etc. I have never had a pool deactivate without an underlying hardware issue.

So what sort of storage is this? iSCSI? Directly attached? What server hardware are you using? Some details allong those lines might be helpful. Pay close attention to the console screens.... if there is a storage issue, you should see NSS errors indication an I/O error.

Are you getting abends from this server?

-- Bob
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I would certainly run an NSS /poolrebuild /purge . That way the errors verify finds will be cleaned up if possible, and the fixes in the new NSS code you have will be actually applied to that pool. In my experience the risk of data loss is minuscule (although not zero).

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. No, there have not been any abends recently and sadly I did not capture all the errrors on the console. What it seemed to amount to was that the array cntrl detected a problem writing to some part of the Pool and it decided to shut itself down, which in turn initiated the pool deactivation.
No logs were written that I can check as the pool and volumes were dismounted

Possibly this is an Array controler issue then?

There are no hardware (HP Proliant DL380/G7) logs recorded anywhere that indicate any issues with the hardware but gettingthe array ctrl replaced is another option too at this stage I guess.

However, my main concern is with running the pool rebuild. I can restore data on Vol1 but since SYS is also on this pool any loss of data from SYS could potentially hose the server....

Mark
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If the rebuild costs you data, that data was probably inaccessible anyway. In what 15 years of doing NSS support I can recall maybe a handful of cases of data loss from rebuilds, I really would go for it.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Soooo . . . .
From all the warnings that there will pretty much always be some "data loss" .. would you confidently say that it would not include any currently accesible valid data? In other words no files in on SYS would be lost thus preventing the server from restarting correctly?
I think I will still log a SR with Novell (which means you will most likely get it anyway 🙂 to check out the latest "nss/verify" logfile and advise.
Mark
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

From all the warnings that there will pretty much always be some "data loss" ..

That's the opposite of what I said:
me wrote:
In what 15 years of doing NSS support I can recall maybe a handful of cases of data loss from rebuilds

would you confidently say that it would not include any currently accesible valid data? In other words no files in on SYS would be lost thus preventing the server from restarting correctly?

Pretty sure, yes, but I can't guarantee that 100% of course.

I think I will still log a SR with Novell (which means you will most likely get it anyway 🙂 to check out the latest "nss/verify" logfile and advise.

OK, but you'll be running a pool rebuild anyway - it's the only tool there is to fix a corrupt NSS structure.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ataubman;2217090 wrote:
That's the opposite of what I said:

Pretty sure, yes, but I can't guarantee that 100% of course.

OK, but you'll be running a pool rebuild anyway - it's the only tool there is to fix a corrupt NSS structure.

i currently have a server in this same situation, but what trouble me is when its up with the rebuild screen, the progress bar is idle with no changes after 18 hours or so. I hope this is not normal ?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

rdy1;2295107 wrote:
i currently have a server in this same situation, but what trouble me is when its up with the rebuild screen, the progress bar is idle with no changes after 18 hours or so. I hope this is not normal ?

Certainly not, no, and I've not see it before in all these years. I assume you are running it because there's been some problem with a pool, and this hang presumably means it's not fixable. I can't see a way past deleting, recreating and restoring.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ataubman;2295179 wrote:
Certainly not, no, and I've not see it before in all these years. I assume you are running it because there's been some problem with a pool, and this hang presumably means it's not fixable. I can't see a way past deleting, recreating and restoring.

that is very bad news, awaiting my SR & hope for the best
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ataubman;2295179 wrote:

There is still a way Andrew. For those who in dire-strait of cant mount your pool, dont give up. Alway a way.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.