Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NSS - Post Transfer ID

Hello,

i performed a "Transfer ID" from a Netware 6.5 SP7 server to OES2 SP3 without a problem.
Services like "File System" & "iPrint" were consolidated before the Transfer ID.

All systems & services are up & running. I wonder whether i still need to perform the following steps:

delete <old server hostname>admin user object & recreate a new one with "yast2 nss"

run the volrepair.rb script to update source server's volume object GUID

Are there any chances to damage running NSS objects & services when performing above steps ?

Thx in advance for your support,

Ralf
Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NSS - Post Transfer ID

Technically you don't need to do the first bullet (deleting the "old servername"admin user). However, it may help so you don't go "oh, what's this doing around?" and delete it and then it breaks things.

Technically you should run the volrepair.rb script (although when I did my ID Transfers it was with SP1 and SP2 and we never did that and things just seem to work fine). so I'm not sure if this is unique to SP2/SP3 or not, to be honest.

On the first one, that can affect things. Meaning when you delete the "admin" volume user, until you recreate the new one, if you reboot the server, then NSS won't work/mount (because there's no admin user).

However, your DATA will be intact. And the odds of you rebooting a server in the middle of this is slim to none, I'd wager.
0 Likes
utman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NSS - Post Transfer ID

BlueRamses;2098491 wrote:
Hello,

i performed a "Transfer ID" from a Netware 6.5 SP7 server to OES2 SP3 without a problem.
Services like "File System" & "iPrint" were consolidated before the Transfer ID.

All systems & services are up & running. I wonder whether i still need to perform the following steps:

delete <old server hostname>admin user object & recreate a new one with "yast2 nss"

run the volrepair.rb script to update source server's volume object GUID

Are there any chances to damage running NSS objects & services when performing above steps ?

Thx in advance for your support,

Ralf

You should only need to recreate the <old server hostname> admin user object if you deleted it. NSS needs the nssadmin object for the server to exist, if it doesn't the NSS will not load. Since yours is working I wouldn't worry about it

The volrepair.rb script helps make the GUIDs of the new servers volumes the same GUID as the old servers volume. That way if any application is referencing the a volume's GUID rather than its name the request can complete.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.