Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NSS Volume on OES 11 SP2

I am trying to create a GroupWise System on a new SLES 11 SP3 / OES 11 SP2 server. I created an NSS Pool and Volume and did not pay attention that the pool and volume was all caps. I have already installed a secondary domain on the NSS volume and would like to change the volume to all lower case and change name space to Unix.

Can this be done with a secondary domain on it?

Is so can it be done relatively easy?

Sincerely,
Ken

Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NSS Volume on OES 11 SP2

RLMILLIES;2339740 wrote:
I am trying to create a GroupWise System on a new SLES 11 SP3 / OES 11 SP2 server. I created an NSS Pool and Volume and did not pay attention that the pool and volume was all caps. I have already installed a secondary domain on the NSS volume and would like to change the volume to all lower case and change name space to Unix.

Can this be done with a secondary domain on it?

Is so can it be done relatively easy?

Sincerely,
Ken

Hi Ken,

Sure, you can do a volume rename to set the caps as you want them. Do do this while the GroupWise agents on that server have been shut down and change the paths in the agent config files accordingly before restarting the agents.

I am curious though, why would you want to set the name space on the NSS volume(s) to Unix instead of keeping it at the default long namespace?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the information on renaming the volume.

I have the GroupWise book by Caledonia and it says that for best performance on the an NSS drive do the following:
Disable Salvage
Change Default name spce to UNIX
Enable the noatime option on the volume

Sincerely,
Ken

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How would l go about renaming it and having it hold the lower case version?

Is that done in the mounting point?

Just wondering,
Ken

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

RLMILLIES;2339818 wrote:
How would l go about renaming it and having it hold the lower case version?

Is that done in the mounting point?

Just wondering,
Ken

All NSS volumes are always in upper case, AFAIK, but I could be wrong.

Technically if you keep the namespace "long" I don't believe the GW agents really care. BUT if you do enable Unix for the name spacing, then you have to lower case everything (but NOT the volume name).

When we migrated from NetWare to OES2, that's what I did before I was told that "long" would've sufficed and not had to waste a bunch of time with the Unix and dbcopy stuff to get everything to lower case.

The NSS volume (NCP-enabled obviously) was still upper case, so we just put the path in correctly like:
/media/nss/GW/domain
or
/media/nss/GW/po

All is well
--Kevin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cool thanks for the information. I was thinking some the issues I was having with my Post office could be due to the Upper case.

Well back GroupWise forum I go then.

Thanks again,
Ken
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

RLMILLIES;2339786 wrote:
Thanks for the information on renaming the volume.

I have the GroupWise book by Caledonia and it says that for best performance on the an NSS drive do the following:
Disable Salvage
Change Default name spce to UNIX
Enable the noatime option on the volume

I've always left the namespace on the NSS volumes in the long format. Can't say I've seen that hurt performance. Leaving it at long also has the benefit that files on the NSS volume are handled the same, regardless of case.

I'd personally advise to stick to keeping the NSS volume on the long setting and not bother with renaming/changing/converting.

If you have now virtualized the GroupWise workload, it could however help (performance wise) to adjust the Linux scheduler to deadline or noop. Also see: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2011861

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the additional information.

I truly appreciate all of the help.

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.