pperruch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NSS large size and Windows workstations

We have created a NSS pool on three disks, on a OES2 SP2 Linux server, whose sizes are 2TB, 2TB and 1.4TB. A NSS volume was created on this pool, whose size is the maximum available, 5.4 TB.

Windows Workstations using Novell Client 4.91 SP5 see the volume, but Novell volume statistics show a 1.4 TB size only (in fact the size of the third partition).

Can you tell me if this kind of volume (size over 2TB) can be used with Windows workstation without problem or if I have to create several lower sized pools (2TB).

Best regards,

Philippe PERRUCHET
Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NSS large size and Windows workstations

Pool sizes above 2TB are not a problem. This is probably just a cosmetic problem of the client, or maybe a limitation of the NCP protocol which may not be able to report volume sizes >2TB because before NSS, 2TB was the absolute limit.

pperruch;2034006 wrote:
We have created a NSS pool on three disks, on a OES2 SP2 Linux server, whose sizes are 2TB, 2TB and 1.4TB. A NSS volume was created on this pool, whose size is the maximum available, 5.4 TB.

Windows Workstations using Novell Client 4.91 SP5 see the volume, but Novell volume statistics show a 1.4 TB size only (in fact the size of the third partition).

Can you tell me if this kind of volume (size over 2TB) can be used with Windows workstation without problem or if I have to create several lower sized pools (2TB).

Best regards,

Philippe PERRUCHET
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Marcel.

>... because before NSS, 2TB was
>the absolute limit.

"WAS" the absolute limit / still *IS* the absolute limit?

What's in the pipe? The first disks >2TB are available (not SAS/SCSI, I know...)

Regards, Rudi.

0 Likes
Michael_Fleming Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rudolf Thilo;2035132 wrote:
Hi Marcel.

>... because before NSS, 2TB was
>the absolute limit.

"WAS" the absolute limit / still *IS* the absolute limit?

What's in the pipe? The first disks >2TB are available (not SAS/SCSI, I know...)

Regards, Rudi.

I have had volumes in the past larger > 2TB but can't recall checking in Windows Explorer > Netware Info/Volume stats. Does it show in NSSMU/iManager/NRM as the correct size?

As long as the physical/logic disks are < 2TB there shouldn't be an issue.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

As for as I know, traditional NetWare volumes were limited to 2TB volume
size. For NSS, the maximum volume size is 8TB, though the maximum
supported disk size is 2TB. This is because NSS uses and MBR partition
table that is limited to 2TB.

A more general discussion of the 2TB disk size limit related to MBR
partitions can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
Absent Member.

pperruch;2034006 wrote:

Best regards,

Philippe PERRUCHET

I got the confirmation that this is a known bug (516094) of the shell extension installed by the Novell client. This only affects the Novell shell extension that reports the Novell specific information on a volume. The client functionality itself should not be affected and Windows tools should report the correct volume size.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi.

>As long as the physical/logic disks are < 2TB there shouldn't be an
>issue.

There *ARE* physical disks > 2TB available. And logical disks >2TB would be much
more convenient, than breaking large spaces down to 2TB snippets first, to later on
bundle them back to large volumes.

Greetings from that HDD jumper "limit disk size to 32 GB"... 😉

Regards, Rudi.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Marcel.

>For
>NSS, the maximum volume size is 8TB, though the maximum supported disk size is
>2TB.

Ups! 4 times 2TB = 8TB is the end of the road?

Hm, Rudi.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Rudolf Thilo wrote:

>Ups! 4 times 2TB = 8TB is the end of the road?

For NSS, yes. Other file systems like XFS for example go much further.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
pperruch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi.

Yes, NSSMU, iManager and Novell Remote Manager show the correct size.

Regards,

Philippe PERRUCHET
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.