Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NSS on OES (Linux Kernel)

I'm new to Linux so bear with me here...

I've just installed OES SP1 and want to create some NSS volumes using
iManager which shows my one device (8GB) but this only shows as having
2MB free which I know isn't right. I've had a look at the documentation
and it mentions that the devices need to be managed by EVMS which
should be done during the install. I did not make this change during
the install (I just accepted all defaults) - is there any way to change
this now or do I need to re-install??

Thanks in advance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: NSS on OES (Linux Kernel)

Hi, Chris:

I'm a newbie myself, but for what it's worth, there was a helpful document on setting up NSS under OES Linux:

http://support.novell.com/techcenter/search/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=NetWare-OpenEnterpriseServer-implgde-implgdexml&sliceId=&dialogID=2949099

Notice especially:

"If You Want to Install NSS on a Single-Drive Server

Many organizations are keenly interested in Novell Storage Services (NSS) running on Linux. If you plan to experiment with NSS on a single-drive server, be sure to follow the instructions in "Installing Linux with EVMS as the Volume Manager" in the OES for Linux Installation Guide ."
My limited understanding is that you probably want to have 2 drives, one for the system and the other specifically for a NSS volume created using EVMS. BTW, the NSS volume is automatically created used EVMS when installed via iManager of I've found that you can use NSSMU too.

Regards,

Bill

>>> Chris<nospam@myrealbox.com> 1/13/2006 9:41:09 AM >>>

Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Chris, as a follow-up, I was having the same problem, so I added another drive, installed with the defaults - non-EVMS - and then after the system was setup, I added the second drive using NSSMU (or I gather you can use iManager too), and it worked great.

>>> Bill Scully<bscully@tiu.edu> 1/13/2006 9:48:34 AM >>>

Hi, Chris:

I'm a newbie myself, but for what it's worth, there was a helpful document on setting up NSS under OES Linux:

http://support.novell.com/techcenter/search/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=NetWare-OpenEnterpriseServer-implgde-implgdexml&sliceId=&dialogID=2949099

Notice especially:

"If You Want to Install NSS on a Single-Drive Server

Many organizations are keenly interested in Novell Storage Services (NSS) running on Linux. If you plan to experiment with NSS on a single-drive server, be sure to follow the instructions in "Installing Linux with EVMS as the Volume Manager" in the OES for Linux Installation Guide ."
My limited understanding is that you probably want to have 2 drives, one for the system and the other specifically for a NSS volume created using EVMS. BTW, the NSS volume is automatically created used EVMS when installed via iManager of I've found that you can use NSSMU too.

Regards,

Bill

>>> Chris<nospam@myrealbox.com> 1/13/2006 9:41:09 AM >>>

Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks Bill.

I have got OES running in VMware so I just added a second hard disk and
I can now use that to create my NSS pools and volumes.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.