Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NSS or POSIX file system

I do have an application server (with a database) on a nss filesystem.
Users do access the filesystem, but there are not special rights
required. Therefore not really a need for NSS.
I wonder whether I should not migrate our current OES Application Server
to non NSS volumes.I do have performance issues and think it might be
better afterwards.

1) Do you have any performance experiences (NSS towards others)?
2) Without NSS do I still have to use EVMS and is it also recommended to
use two RAID subsystems?
3) Are there any other problems I might have using a non NSS filesystem?
4) Is in this is case a native Linux Volume considered as "best practice" ??

regards
Marc
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Brunold Rainer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NSS or POSIX file system

Marc,

if you would have just the database on that server I would say use native linux filesystems. You would not need evms, a second disk and so on. That would make live much easier.

But the question is how the user access the filesystem on that server and what they are doing there. How many are working with it ?

You always have th choice to just move the database away from nss and keep the users filesystems on nss. I personally choose a native linux filesystem for the database before using nss for it. nss brings at that point more complexity and I think it is not faster then a native linux filesystem, so separating would of course be a good idea.

Rainer
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.