ex Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

NSS reporting incorrect size on volume w/ quotas set

Investigating why my quotas are not stopping users from maxing out the volume. I have all quotes properly set however NSS volume shows a user's home directory size as 36GB whereas Windows Explorer reports it as 2.63TB in size. Looking at the contents, I'd say Windows is reporting the accurate folder size.

My quotes where set at 100GB for this user but with OES reporting it as 36GB it never was reached. Looking further, it is inaccurate for all users.

Looking via ncpcon, I get the same results:
ncpcon quotas view STAFF u |grep -i bsmith
... Executing "quotas view STAFF u"
... completed OK [elapsed time = 19 msecs 512 usecs]
36.0 GB unlimited CN=BSmith.OU=LHS.OU=STAFF.O=LAS

Any ideas why?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NSS reporting incorrect size on volume w/ quotas set

ex;2432158 wrote:
Investigating why my quotas are not stopping users from maxing out the volume. I have all quotes properly set however NSS volume shows a user's home directory size as 36GB whereas Windows Explorer reports it as 2.63TB in size. Looking at the contents, I'd say Windows is reporting the accurate folder size.

My quotes where set at 100GB for this user but with OES reporting it as 36GB it never was reached. Looking further, it is inaccurate for all users.

Any ideas why?

Hate to ask, but what type of Quota?
Directory Quota?
or User Quota?

Is DFS involved anywhere (if so, Windows 7 anyway, reports the size of the of the volume holding the junctures, not the actual juncture targets).
I vaguely recall that with Directory Quotas, Windows 7 (with drive root mapping for the home directory) would report the size of the volume (when you look in My Computer), but would show the correct size if you right-clicked and selected Properties -> Novell Info

Oh, is DST involved anywhere as well? If so, then unless you're on OES11 SPsomething (SP1 or SP2, can't remember) AND you enabled the cron job stuff, the DST volume won't have directory quotas and if you shift stuff over, they can fill up the DST side of things quite easily.
0 Likes
johnbaird Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ex;2432158 wrote:

Any ideas why?

The first question is whether or not you actually have volume quotas set (your ncpcon command shows volume quotas) given ncpcon is reporting "unlimited" for BSmith. That discrepancy needs to be figured out.

Second, usage for volume quotas is based on file ownership. Windows Explorer is just summing the space used by files in the directory, ncpcon is giving you the total space occupied by files on the volume owned by bsmith. This suggests the bulk of the 2.63TB of files in bsmith's home directory are owned by someone else. Directory quotas might be more appropriate here, they set an absolute limit on how much can be stored in a directory.

HTH, John
0 Likes
Highlighted
ex Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

kjhurni;2432164 wrote:
Hate to ask, but what type of Quota?
Directory Quota?
or User Quota?

Is DFS involved anywhere (if so, Windows 7 anyway, reports the size of the of the volume holding the junctures, not the actual juncture targets).
I vaguely recall that with Directory Quotas, Windows 7 (with drive root mapping for the home directory) would report the size of the volume (when you look in My Computer), but would show the correct size if you right-clicked and selected Properties -> Novell Info

Oh, is DST involved anywhere as well? If so, then unless you're on OES11 SPsomething (SP1 or SP2, can't remember) AND you enabled the cron job stuff, the DST volume won't have directory quotas and if you shift stuff over, they can fill up the DST side of things quite easily.

User quota. DFS nor DST is involved. It is a simple pool and volume created for users home directories. All files contained within the directory in question are created and owned by the user in question. Running OES11 SP2

Thank you
0 Likes
ex Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

johnbaird;2432184 wrote:
The first question is whether or not you actually have volume quotas set (your ncpcon command shows volume quotas) given ncpcon is reporting "unlimited" for BSmith. That discrepancy needs to be figured out.

Second, usage for volume quotas is based on file ownership. Windows Explorer is just summing the space used by files in the directory, ncpcon is giving you the total space occupied by files on the volume owned by bsmith. This suggests the bulk of the 2.63TB of files in bsmith's home directory are owned by someone else. Directory quotas might be more appropriate here, they set an absolute limit on how much can be stored in a directory.

HTH, John

User quotas, running OES11 SP2. I do have both directory and user quota attributes enabled on the volume. The unlimited is because I removed all the quotes for this user as an attempt to fix the issue by removing and re-applying the user quota. The 36GB is what OES is reporting the volume size as and no current quota set.

Size these are user home directories, I would think that all files contained within would be owned by this user. Doing some looking, it seems that all are owned by this user and not someone else. Maybe I should look into directory quotas like you said, I've never used them before so I'll look into that some more.

Thank you
0 Likes
ex Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

So even when using directory quota, I still do not get my issue resolved because OES reports directory as 36.1GB: NOTE: user is "RConlan"
ncpcon quotas view STAFF d |grep -i rconlan
... Executing "quotas view STAFF d"
... completed OK [elapsed time = 7 msecs 272 usecs]
36.1 GB 100 GB \RConlan

I cannot seem to attach image of windows 7 OS side, but doing a properties of the directory shows it's true size of 2.64TB, which I believe is correct based on the contents (tons of huge pictures, music, video etc).

The only thing I have not done it umount and remount the volume.

hmm...
0 Likes
ex Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

To report back onto this, I discovered the inconsistency in reading the folder sizes. It all boiled down to a bunch of image files (all .JPG) that where well over 2GB in size (2,818,939KB). None of these files are readable in any of the several image viewing programs I tried, only reported damaged, corrupted or too large.

Once I deleted all of these, the Windows and OES reported the same file size. End user reports not knowing how they ended up there (???)

Did a search on volume and found many other JPG files that would not open and each of the directories reported mismatched sizes until I removed the files.

Thank you
0 Likes
johnbaird Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ex;2432260 wrote:
To report back onto this, I discovered the inconsistency in reading the folder sizes. It all boiled down to a bunch of image files (all .JPG) that where well over 2GB in size (2,818,939KB). None of these files are readable in any of the several image viewing programs I tried, only reported damaged, corrupted or too large.

Once I deleted all of these, the Windows and OES reported the same file size. End user reports not knowing how they ended up there (???)

Did a search on volume and found many other JPG files that would not open and each of the directories reported mismatched sizes until I removed the files.

Thank you

This suggests they were sparse files with a logical size of 2+GB but probably a physical size of zero. MS with its usual simplistic approach, sums the logical sizes, not the physical sizes, hence the large descrepancy. Moral of the story: always treat an MS number with a degree of scepticism.

John
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.