Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

NTP Service Hangs on OES 2015 SP1

Good afternoon 

Customer recently completed a migration from OES 2 SP3 to OES 2015 SP1 they are dealing with older hardware, and in some cases insufficient RAM. However; one of the items that has been troubling as of late, has been when attempting to view/check the status of the NTP service, "rcntp status" basically the response comes back nothing to do, or no response. Something to that effect, I just went through the bulk of their servers today, and forgot to actually get the error.

That said, if you go into YAST and configure ntp client, making sure that  under the Security Settings the check box for Run NTP Daemon in Chroot jail is selected, that seems to bring the correct response from the "rcntp status" command. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior, or knows if it might still be an issue in OES 2018 SP2 or SLES 12 SP5?

Thank you, 

-Daniel 

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Never seen before. If you release the daemon from jail, does it still work then? If so, i'd suspect some sort of leftover from the SLES10 config. Other than that: apparmor is always a good candidate if something doesn't work as expected. Do you have it running?

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good morning, 

If the check box next to run in chroot jail is un-selected or unchecked, we've seen the results that when doing the "rcntp status' basically nothing is returned. So we've been trying to make sure to check that box. Which to this point has been resolving the issue. Just again seems that when doing random checks that this issue seems to reappear. 

I've heard of issues with the Apparmor application, and for that reason I don't believe the customer even installs or configures that on their OES servers. I just spot checked one of them, and I didn't see anything  related to Apparmor. 

Thank you, 

-Daniel 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

There's an "Apparmor" pattern which is selected by default, so unless you explicitely uncheck while installing, you'll likely have this stuff. Does the daemon work at all, i.e. what do you get on e.g.

ntpq -p

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.