markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NW 6.5 SP8 to OES2SP3 file system migration errors

Hi,

I'm doing a consolidation with the miggui tool using NetWare 6.5 SP8 as a source and OES2 SP3 as a target.

I'm migrating/copying 4 NSS volumes in one project and I'm getting success notification emails reporting "Migrated FILESYSTEM with 6 error(s)"

Looking at migration.log in the project folder, I'm finding those 6 errors as follows:

2011-02-24 23:40:37,604 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: Failed to restore: /media/nss/USER/
2011-02-24 23:40:37,604 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: Received error: 0xfffdfffd ((libtsafs.so 6.50.0 258) This program has encountered a buffer underflow and cannot get the entire field.) from NWSMTSWriteDataSet
2011-02-24 23:40:37,604 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: Failed to restore: /media/nss/USER/VOLDATA.TDF
2011-02-24 23:40:37,604 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: Received error: 0xfffdfffd ((libtsafs.so 6.50.0 258) This program has encountered a buffer underflow and cannot get the entire field.) from NWSMTSOpenDataSetForRestore
2011-02-24 23:40:37,604 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: Failed to restore: /media/nss/USER/Volume_Inventory.html
2011-02-24 23:40:37,605 ERROR - FILESYSTEM:migfiles:Error: nbackup: Received error: 0xfffdfffd ((libtsafs.so 6.50.0 258) This program has encountered a buffer underflow and cannot get the entire field.) from NWSMTSOpenDataSetForRestore

As I read these, only one of the 4 volumes is giving me trouble.

I have tried searching on these errors and haven't found any that were identical. Lots of similar errors pointed to issues with quotas. We are using quotas but I checked and there are no users exceeding their limit. Quotas are enabled on the target volume in question as well.

Are these critical, or can they safely be ignored? I have verified it is copying the files on this volume.

Looking for some help understanding these errors.

Thanks,

Heath
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NW 6.5 SP8 to OES2SP3 file system migration errors

Well, none of the 6 errors seem to be serious as they do not apply to normal data files. I don't know what caused these errors, but I don't think they are a real need for worry. However for security, I would check the statistics of the USER volume and also the file ownership and trustees for some samples to see if everything looks sound.
0 Likes
markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the response Marcel.

In looking at the volume statistics, I'm seeing quite a bit more used space on the target USER volume compared to the source. Note: I'm looking at the used space in KB, not the percent used which will obviously be different because of different size volumes.

I'll run a fresh sync and check again. I'll report back with what I find.

Heath
0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

markovhe;2081207 wrote:
Thanks for the response Marcel.

In looking at the volume statistics, I'm seeing quite a bit more used space on the target USER volume compared to the source. Note: I'm looking at the used space in KB, not the percent used which will obviously be different because of different size volumes.

I'll run a fresh sync and check again. I'll report back with what I find.

Heath

Do you have compression enabled at the source? That might explain the higher usage on the destination.
0 Likes
markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hmm, I thought I had replied back here but I'm not seeing it... must have imagined doing that.

I found that I had been doing some testing and there were some leftover junk/temp files from that on the new volume that were skewing my sizes. After a full sync they're much more in line, but I was still seeing about 1GB of difference in the used space.

I did run a directory compare with a third party tool and it found the volumes to be identical so I'm not sure why the Linux volume is showing that much more usage than the Netware volume. Since they appear identical though, and all the rights that I've spot-checked look good I'm going to go ahead and cut over to the new volume.

Thanks for the sanity check.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I'd agree with Marcel that it's probably compression. But you didn't mention if it's enabled or not on the source/target servers.
0 Likes
Highlighted
markovhe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni,

Sorry I must have responded to the compression question in the reply that I lost (or imagined).

I was not running compression on either the source or target volumes. The ~ 1GB discrepancy between them is still a mystery to me but production on the Linux server has been fine so I haven't dug any further and the old server has been deprecated now.

Thanks for the comments and help on this.

Heath
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You're welcome. At least you posted the error, and if I have time, I'll inquire as to possible causes of that (buffer underflow is odd). Possibly a problem on the NW server side or something.

--Kevin
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.