Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
DheerajNYC Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NW4.11 Abend - Cannot recover

Hi,

We have very old custom software which runs on NW4.11.

The NW4.11 server shut down due to a power outrage and in the process of restarting , has an infinite loop when it tries to load REMOTE.NLM during startup.

In a novice attempt to resolve this by editing the startup file, a DOS bootdisk has been created and used. It boots to A: but does not switch to C:.

During the loop/loading/starting up of the server, is there any way to interrupt ans stop certain NLMs from loading?

I can get the white bar across the top that says System Console but it does not do anything.

Any help would be appreciated as we are stuck and cannot find any techs in our area with any knowledge.

Thanks,
Dheeraj
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NW4.11 Abend - Cannot recover

DheerajNYC;2410380 wrote:
Hi,

We have very old custom software which runs on NW4.11.

The NW4.11 server shut down due to a power outrage and in the process of restarting , has an infinite loop when it tries to load REMOTE.NLM during startup.

In a novice attempt to resolve this by editing the startup file, a DOS bootdisk has been created and used. It boots to A: but does not switch to C:.

During the loop/loading/starting up of the server, is there any way to interrupt ans stop certain NLMs from loading?

I can get the white bar across the top that says System Console but it does not do anything.

Any help would be appreciated as we are stuck and cannot find any techs in our area with any knowledge.

Thanks,
Dheeraj

i'd start with running vrepair on volume sys, changing the options to "purge deleted files" and "write all entries to disk". might be wise to grab a forensic image before (e.g. with portlock storage manager).
IIRC also in nw411 remote.nlm got loaded from SYS (as opposed to the FAT partition), so apparently SYS gets mounted at all. you can start the server with "server -na" (which bypasses execution of autoexec.ncf) and try the repair. at that point you could also edit autoexec.ncf (or netinfo.cfg, basically whatever triggers the load of remote.nlm), but that's rather playing around with symptoms. the fact that the boxes stumbles on remote.nlm doesn't necessarily mean that the module itself is the culprit. maybe it crashes because of unsatisfied library calls, uninitialized SPX stack, ...
corruption could be everywhere, so i think your best bet for a quickshot should be "scandisk" on the FAT partition and "vrepair" on SYS.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thank you very much for the reply.

The steps you wrote out are somewhat clear, as I have been reading the manual for NW4.11 for the last 72 hours.

Would you mind telling how to start-off with those steps. Basically how do I interrupt the boot sequence? Once it starts, to me anyway, I cannot stop the files from loading.

How do would you run vrepair during the boot cycle?

Thanks again!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

DheerajNYC;2410492 wrote:
Thank you very much for the reply.

The steps you wrote out are somewhat clear, as I have been reading the manual for NW4.11 for the last 72 hours.

Would you mind telling how to start-off with those steps. Basically how do I interrupt the boot sequence? Once it starts, to me anyway, I cannot stop the files from loading.

How do would you run vrepair during the boot cycle?

Thanks again!

depends a little on the DOS version you're booting off. assuming it's something "normal" you'd
- switch on the box
- hit F8 when DOS starts, this will bring you in a "step-by-step" mode. accept the statements you'll face !!!!BUT!!!
- when you're prompted to start "server.exe" say NO
- run "scandisk" on the FAT partition (assuming you have a full-blown DOS installed), let it fix errors
- when finished start netware by issueing "server -na"
- this should bring you to a netware console prompt
- type "vrepair", hit "2" for options, select options "2" and "4" (hopefully i recall these correctly), hit "5" to return to the main screen, press "1" to start the repair
- that might take a while, so make sure you have some cold beer at hands
- after the repair process has finished gracefully down and restart the box
- report he results

as mentioned it might be wise to grab an image before

good luck
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thank you so much for the guidance.

So here's an update, I learned that the server runs FreeDOS vs MSDOS. Which took me a while to find the needed files for repairs and editing files. No errors were found on the SCANDISK.

From NWSERVER, I run server -na and can get to the the server and this is where the fun begins.

(I can see the license information etc at this point, so I know the "server" is fired up.)

When I load VREPAIR and edit the options, the program responds that no valid partition is found.

I copied an image of the drive earlier using a standalone cloning device. I can see the partition alive and well in a Windows environment; but cannot access it.

So my questions are:

How can I connect to the partition to the server? Or is it "lost".

Can I still salvage this or do I need to install and build NW4.1 again? If yes, where can i get the install diskettes from? I have the license diskette but no installation disk(s) - not sure if it was a CD back then.

I need to also adjust the startup.ncf but cannot figure out where the .NLM files get loaded from.

Any guidance at this juncture would be appreciated.

Thanks!
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

From NWSERVER, I run server -na and can get to the the server and this
is where the fun begins.

(I can see the license information etc at this point, so I know the
"server" is fired up.)

You need the appropriate drivers for your disk. They ate usually loaded
from startup.ncf.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

DheerajNYC;2411474 wrote:
Thank you so much for the guidance.

So here's an update, I learned that the server runs FreeDOS vs MSDOS. Which took me a while to find the needed files for repairs and editing files. No errors were found on the SCANDISK.

From NWSERVER, I run server -na and can get to the the server and this is where the fun begins.

(I can see the license information etc at this point, so I know the "server" is fired up.)

When I load VREPAIR and edit the options, the program responds that no valid partition is found.

I copied an image of the drive earlier using a standalone cloning device. I can see the partition alive and well in a Windows environment; but cannot access it.

So my questions are:

How can I connect to the partition to the server? Or is it "lost".

Can I still salvage this or do I need to install and build NW4.1 again? If yes, where can i get the install diskettes from? I have the license diskette but no installation disk(s) - not sure if it was a CD back then.

I need to also adjust the startup.ncf but cannot figure out where the .NLM files get loaded from.

Any guidance at this juncture would be appreciated.

Thanks!

well, in worst case the netware partition is blown. otherwise it might be possible that just the driver for the storage device did not load. what are the contents of startup.ncf?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.