Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1170 views

NW65SP5 -> SP7 or SP8 do I need to buy a new licence?

Hi

I have NW65 on SP5. I am considering upgrading to either SP7 or SP8. On Novell's SP8 page it says

"Evaluating NetWare 6.5 SP8
The software you download includes a full license. You can install NetWare 6.5 SP8 on a virtual machine or on a physical server. You are authorized to evaluate the product for 90 days after which Novell requires you to either purchase the OES 2 product or uninstall NetWare."

So do I take that to mean:
If I don't own NW65 then I can evaluate the software and then buy it 60 days later, BUT, if I DO own NW65 then SP8 will simply upgrade me, and I will continue to work fine and I don't need to buy a new licence?
Or does it mean, whether I own NW65 or not then I will need to buy a new licence after 60 days?

Or should I just stick with SP5?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 7/14/2011 8:36 AM, mhuggins wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I have NW65 on SP5. I am considering upgrading to either SP7 or SP8. On
> Novell's SP8 page it says
>
> "Evaluating NetWare 6.5 SP8
> The software you download includes a full license. You can install
> NetWare 6.5 SP8 on a virtual machine or on a physical server. You are
> authorized to evaluate the product for 90 days after which Novell
> requires you to either purchase the OES 2 product or uninstall
> NetWare."
>
> So do I take that to mean:
> If I don't own NW65 then I can evaluate the software and then buy it 60
> days later, BUT, if I DO own NW65 then SP8 will simply upgrade me, and I
> will continue to work fine and I don't need to buy a new licence?
> Or does it mean, whether I own NW65 or not then I will need to buy a
> new licence after 60 days?
>
> Or should I just stick with SP5?
>
>


No, you don't need to buy a new license. The one you have now will
continue to work.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

On 14.07.2011 15:36, mhuggins wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I have NW65 on SP5. I am considering upgrading to either SP7 or SP8. On
> Novell's SP8 page it says


In addition to Patricks answer, you seem to be looking at the full SP8
overlay, which is used to install new servers. You need the service pack
itself (nw65sp8.zip).

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On 14/07/2011 14:36, mhuggins wrote:

> I have NW65 on SP5. I am considering upgrading to either SP7 or SP8. On
> Novell's SP8 page it says
>
> "Evaluating NetWare 6.5 SP8
> The software you download includes a full license. You can install
> NetWare 6.5 SP8 on a virtual machine or on a physical server. You are
> authorized to evaluate the product for 90 days after which Novell
> requires you to either purchase the OES 2 product or uninstall
> NetWare."
>
> So do I take that to mean:
> If I don't own NW65 then I can evaluate the software and then buy it 60
> days later, BUT, if I DO own NW65 then SP8 will simply upgrade me, and I
> will continue to work fine and I don't need to buy a new licence?
> Or does it mean, whether I own NW65 or not then I will need to buy a
> new licence after 60 days?
>
> Or should I just stick with SP5?


In addition to both Patrick and Massimo's replies, no you shouldn't stick
with SP5 and subsequent Support Packs include additional fixes,
particularly with SP8.

For example, NetStorage behaves a lot better with SP8 installed. Having
found NetStorage in SP5 to be okay I was reluctant to upgrade the server
but bit the bullet when SP8 became available (skipping both SP6 and SP7).

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 7/14/2011 5:28 PM, Simon Flood wrote:
> On 14/07/2011 14:36, mhuggins wrote:
>
>> I have NW65 on SP5. I am considering upgrading to either SP7 or SP8. On
>> Novell's SP8 page it says
>>
>> "Evaluating NetWare 6.5 SP8
>> The software you download includes a full license. You can install
>> NetWare 6.5 SP8 on a virtual machine or on a physical server. You are
>> authorized to evaluate the product for 90 days after which Novell
>> requires you to either purchase the OES 2 product or uninstall
>> NetWare."
>>
>> So do I take that to mean:
>> If I don't own NW65 then I can evaluate the software and then buy it 60
>> days later, BUT, if I DO own NW65 then SP8 will simply upgrade me, and I
>> will continue to work fine and I don't need to buy a new licence?
>> Or does it mean, whether I own NW65 or not then I will need to buy a
>> new licence after 60 days?
>>
>> Or should I just stick with SP5?

>
> In addition to both Patrick and Massimo's replies, no you shouldn't stick
> with SP5 and subsequent Support Packs include additional fixes,
> particularly with SP8.
>
> For example, NetStorage behaves a lot better with SP8 installed. Having
> found NetStorage in SP5 to be okay I was reluctant to upgrade the server
> but bit the bullet when SP8 became available (skipping both SP6 and SP7).
>
> HTH.


In addition to what I, Massimo, and Simon said, there are several post
SP8 patches that you will also want to apply.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On 15/07/2011 00:17, Patrick Farrell wrote:

> In addition to what I, Massimo, and Simon said, there are several post
> SP8 patches that you will also want to apply.


Yes see http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp8 for information on those.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 7/15/2011 6:29 AM, Simon Flood wrote:
> On 15/07/2011 00:17, Patrick Farrell wrote:
>
>> In addition to what I, Massimo, and Simon said, there are several post
>> SP8 patches that you will also want to apply.

>
> Yes see http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp8 for information on those.
>
> HTH.


You broke the what so and so said chain...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.