stevenryn1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Need some help migrating from OES 2 to OES 2018 SP1

I have an environment that has one old OES 2 server and several OES 11 sp3 servers. The master is the OES 2 server and I am looking for anyone that can help me migrate the old master to a new OES 2018 SP1 server then possibly upgrade the others. I have looked over the documentation and at my level it is Greek to me and I am afraid I will mess it up royally and just need help from someone who has done this before.

Thank you,

Steven
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Need some help migrating from OES 2 to OES 2018 SP1

stevenryn;2500470 wrote:
I have an environment that has one old OES 2 server and several OES 11 sp3 servers. The master is the OES 2 server and I am looking for anyone that can help me migrate the old master to a new OES 2018 SP1 server then possibly upgrade the others. I have looked over the documentation and at my level it is Greek to me and I am afraid I will mess it up royally and just need help from someone who has done this before.

Thank you,

Steven

Hi Steven,

We are here to help but it is beyond our ability to provide step by step instructions. There is a lot involved in a migration and different ways to accomplish one. I suggest you begin with the Open Enterprise Server 2018 SP1 documentation. The first three are the ones on which I would concentrate. If you have any specific questions we will try to answer them.

We can also provide some guidance to avoid potential pitfalls but we would need some more information.

• Are your current servers virtual or physical?
  • If virtual, what hypervisor and version are you using?
  • Are you running any applications that may need upgrading too?
  • Please tell us a bit about your conversion objectives.
  • Anything else you can think of that may be helpful?
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
jrd
New Member.

Steven,
It might help to investigate two common upgrade methods. Those are an
in-place replacement and an identity transfer migration. Both are in the
OES docs.
An in-place operation is clearly a one-way street, unless the machine
happens to be a virtual one supporting snapshots as a line of retreat.
The ID transfer kind is much safer, but has its own set of traps. The
idea is construct a new OES2018 server, using the pre-migration OES
configuration choice (thus no replica), in the same part of eDir
(parallel to the old unit is wisest), in the same IP subnet. One then
can migrate services and files, many times if needs be to catch the
latest changes. Then the identity is moved, eDir and all of its friends.
Once that has been accomplished the old/source server is shutdown
in-tact, and the new one proceeds to take over the ful identity of the
old one. The good thing is if this process fails for one of many reasons
then the old server is still ready to resume service.
A couple of hints about the ID transfer process. Ensure certificates
are valid, remove any eDir obituaries, have a very simple IP arrangement
where DNS names resolve only to the used IP numbers and vice versa. Thus
a spring cleaning and verification before plunging in.
The best approach is climb the learning curve on isolated practice
equipment. Make an "old" machine like the real old one, warts and all.
Snapshot it, build the new box with local customizations, snapshot it,
do the migration steps (YaST offers the migration tool), and if trouble
occurs go back to the snapshots for another try. VMware ESXi (free) is
handy for this approach.
Thanks,
Joe D.

On 04/06/2019 18:24, KBOYLE wrote:
>
> stevenryn;2500470 Wrote:
>> I have an environment that has one old OES 2 server and several OES 11
>> sp3 servers. The master is the OES 2 server and I am looking for anyone
>> that can help me migrate the old master to a new OES 2018 SP1 server
>> then possibly upgrade the others. I have looked over the documentation
>> and at my level it is Greek to me and I am afraid I will mess it up
>> royally and just need help from someone who has done this before.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Steven

>
> Hi Steven,
>
> We are here to help but it is beyond our ability to provide step by step
> instructions. There is a lot involved in a migration and different ways
> to accomplish one. I suggest you begin with the 'Open Enterprise Server
> 2018 SP1'
> (https://www.novell.com/documentation/open-enterprise-server-2018/)
> documentation. The first three are the ones on which I would
> concentrate. If you have any specific questions we will try to answer
> them.
>
> We can also provide some guidance to avoid potential pitfalls but we
> would need some more information.
>
>
> - Are your current servers virtual or physical?
> - If virtual, what hypervisor and version are you using?
> - Are you running any applications that may need upgrading too?
> - Please tell us a bit about your conversion objectives.
> - Anything else you can think of that may be helpful?
>
>

0 Likes
shesser Absent Member.
Absent Member.

stevenryn;2500470 wrote:

Thank you,

Steven

This is a tough one like stated! The problem is that you have an old OES2 machine that is the master of root. Do you know what E-Directory version is on that and on the OES11 machines? You may start with designating one of the OES11 machines as master of root. With OES2018sp1, E-Dir has been completely revamped (version 9.1.x). You need to make sure your schema is ready to except 2018 into the existing tree. Next you have to contend with what server is the CA (certificate Authority) of the tree. The OES versions you refer to have an older CA that mint certs to new servers that are installed in the tree. These certs are probably being minted as SHA-1 certs which are not supported by the industry anymore. OES2018 comes with some new ECD certs that are SHA384 and standard SHA256 (SHA-2). So moving the CA to a new 2018 server is really not an option unless you recreate the existing CA to mint SHA-2. Once 2018 is in the tree, deleting the existing CA and recreating it on the 2018 server is probably the best way to migrate the CA (this ensures the ECD cert creation, they are not created when you move the ca when exporting the existing CA certs). These in my opinion are the 2 biggest things with the start of moving to OES2018/edir9.1x. Then there's the SLP service. You can set the 2018 server as a DA to work with the existing DA. Each server in the tree should then be configured with both DA's until the older DA is retired. This is just the tip of the iceberg, NTP is another important piece also. I have a doc that I worked up with the help of EDIR Support that outlines the CA move. email me at shesser at arandpartners dot com, I'll be glad to send it to you. What Joe said, best to do a practice run on some test machines if you can.
Once you have that first 2018 box in, the main OES services moved to it (SLP, root of master, new CA) the rest should be fairly smooth sailing.
Good luck!
Steve
Absent Member.

Thank you folks for getting back to me. The methodology Joe mentioned on doing a straight migration over and then doing the ID is what I am leaning towards and shutting down the old box entirely. In an ideal way I was hoping to find a consultant that helps folks with this sort of migration. I have been trying to read through the documentation but there is a lot of material to cover. I did get an OES2018 SP1 machine up and running and in our tree with the help from a Micro Focus Tech. The tech also had me run the Novell Schema Tool and made sure ring was working properly between all the servers. I make sure the certs are validating on a regular basis because they didn’t at one point.

Here is the breakdown of my environment.

The Master OES2 is sitting on a physical Dell PowerEdge 2950
- eDirectory Version: Linux x86_64 v8.8 SP6 [DS]

- I don’t have much to move over other than iPrint, NSS, CIFS, eDirectory etc. DNS and DHCP is on a separate SUSE server.

All the other servers are on a VMWare ESXi 6.0 or 6.5 platform. I am using VMware vSphere Essentials to help manage the ESXi boxes. I do have Veeam doing backups of the virtual servers in case.

I have about 4 OES11 servers and the one OES 2018 SP1 in the tree right now. I was hoping to migrate the files/folders to the new OES 2018 server and possibly leave the old OES2 there for the mean time but the Micro focus tech said I should do the migration first and then do the ID transfer over right after.

Oh, my network IP is relatively flat. It is a 172.17.x.x/16

I am also in the process of building a small lab to test this sort of migration. I build an OES 2 box and a OES 2018 one and have been trying to do the migrations to get comfortable with the process.

I hope this paints a better picture of my situation and maybe you folks can help identify the proper course I should take.

Thank you,

Steven
0 Likes
jrd
New Member.

The MF person gave good advice to migrate "stuff" and quickly follow
that with identity (thus not leave behind recent changes). That's for
the real migration rather than the test environment.
I think that with a little practice the ID Migration technique will
make sense to you, despite any details which may crop up. The YaST GUI
is reasonably good for this task (note that it tries to show each
command line utility involved as matters progress, and that can be
useful if one pulls up the appropriate man page to inquire about
nuances). Lab simulation testing will make this process feel much more
reassuring. In a way those surprises are useful to encounter and resolve
now because later on they may surface again when time is very short.
Don't forget about good time synchronization (/etc/ntp.conf stuff). As
for DNS, if necessary one can assist matters with entries in /etc/hosts.
Good luck with the adventure, and if stuck with a problem then beep us
here with details.
Thanks,
Joe D.

On 07/06/2019 00:06, stevenryn wrote:
>
> Thank you folks for getting back to me. The methodology Joe mentioned
> on doing a straight migration over and then doing the ID is what I am
> leaning towards and shutting down the old box entirely. In an ideal way
> I was hoping to find a consultant that helps folks with this sort of
> migration. I have been trying to read through the documentation but
> there is a lot of material to cover. I did get an OES2018 SP1 machine
> up and running and in our tree with the help from a Micro Focus Tech.
> The tech also had me run the Novell Schema Tool and made sure ring was
> working properly between all the servers. I make sure the certs are
> validating on a regular basis because they didn�t at one point.
>
> Here is the breakdown of my environment.
>
> The Master OES2 is sitting on a physical Dell PowerEdge 2950
> - eDirectory Version: Linux x86_64 v8.8 SP6 [DS]
>
> - I don�t have much to move over other than iPrint, NSS, CIFS,
> eDirectory etc. DNS and DHCP is on a separate SUSE server.
>
> All the other servers are on a VMWare ESXi 6.0 or 6.5 platform. I am
> using VMware vSphere Essentials to help manage the ESXi boxes. I do
> have Veeam doing backups of the virtual servers in case.
>
> I have about 4 OES11 servers and the one OES 2018 SP1 in the tree right
> now. I was hoping to migrate the files/folders to the new OES 2018
> server and possibly leave the old OES2 there for the mean time but the
> Micro focus tech said I should do the migration first and then do the ID
> transfer over right after.
>
> Oh, my network IP is relatively flat. It is a 172.17.x.x/16
>
> I am also in the process of building a small lab to test this sort of
> migration. I build an OES 2 box and a OES 2018 one and have been trying
> to do the migrations to get comfortable with the process.
>
> I hope this paints a better picture of my situation and maybe you folks
> can help identify the proper course I should take.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Steven
>
>

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

stevenryn;2500654 wrote:
Thank you folks for getting back to me. The methodology Joe mentioned on doing a straight migration over and then doing the ID is what I am leaning towards and shutting down the old box entirely. In an ideal way I was hoping to find a consultant that helps folks with this sort of migration. I have been trying to read through the documentation but there is a lot of material to cover. I did get an OES2018 SP1 machine up and running and in our tree with the help from a Micro Focus Tech. The tech also had me run the Novell Schema Tool and made sure ring was working properly between all the servers. I make sure the certs are validating on a regular basis because they didn’t at one point.

Hi Steven,

That's good advice as is what Joe told you. It looks like you're ready to begin your upgrade.

I wanted to caution you about VMware support for guest operating system upgrade (2018695). It states, in part, "VMware does not support the installation of major update releases on an operating system as an upgrade in a virtual machine, such as Windows 7 to Windows 8 or RHEL 5.x to RHEL 6.0. VMware recommends the installation of a new major releases in a new virtual machine."

The Transfer ID approach has several advantages:

• The original server remains untouched should anything go wrong and you have to fallback.
  • You are doing a new install of the OS for the upgraded server so you can take advantage of the latest features and optimizations which you don't always get when you upgrade an existing server.
  • You avoid potential, unspecified, VMware issues.
  • You have an opportunity to adjust the configuration on the new server.

So, what kinds of configuration changes might be appropriate? There are always ways to tweak performance but some things are more difficult to do on a production server. If you have not done so already, you should use dedicated disks for your data. For example, NSS data, GroupWise data, etc., should reside on their own .vdsk, and use a dedicated controller. Not only will this provide better performance but when completing future upgrades you can simply attach the data disk to the new virtual machine rather than transferring individual files.

You may further be able to improve disk performance so check out this KB article: Configuring disks to use VMware Paravirtual SCSI (PVSCSI) controllers (1010398).

One last point: Consult the OES 2018 SP1 documentation to verify that your source servers meet the update requirements - especially OS patch level.

Have fun! 😉
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
mmccaffe1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BTW, there are consultants that can do the job or help you if needed. I believe Micro Focus should be able to give your a contact to a partner in your area.
The advice from the other posters all looks good.

-Marty-
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thank you again for all your input. I figure I read over the documentation thoroughly and pick a weekend that I can get help from MF tech if I run into any problems.

Regards,

Steven Ryan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Another way to ask Micro Focus about who the local consultants are is their Partner Locator

https://microfocuspartner.force.com/s/partner-locator

While it isn't yet fully populated and has its issues, it will at least give you an idea of who works with the products in your area. 

If you are a partner, do make sure your entry is up to date and has a valid URL for your organization as many didn't survive the migration.

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
Gerd Woelfel Contributor.
Contributor.

I cases like this i use the migration wizard, it is part of the pre-migration pattern, installed on the new OES2018SP1 server. Good documentated, too.

For those "old" servers, that sometimes hold the master replica, i switch the replica type to a server that is up and running.

Preparation: Check eDirectory, check time syncs. clear old objects, orbituaries, etc.

Before upgrading to OES2018 (SP1) check all certificates with sdidiag (version 2.7). sdidiag 3 won´t work!

You can consolidate data and services to a new tree, or transfer the identity of the old server to the new oes2018sp1.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.