Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

NetStorage Question

I have NetStorage working on a SLES 10 SP4 OES2 SP3 server here and I had a few quick questions. Everything seems to be working good, I just wanted some information regarding some settings in the configuration in iManager.

1. Under File Access (Netstorage), If I look under Current sessions I see 10 Daemon instances with Anonymous and Admin logged into each one. Is this normal? I was just wondering because this uses 21 current sessions right from the start. If it is normal what are these sessions?

2. If I am under Netstorage Statistics it shows the Max Concurrent Sessions. Where can I change this setting? When I restart NetStorage it starts this at 23. I do see it increase as people log on. Is that normal? If I can change this setting I just want to set this higher.

3. I am able to click on download and download the file to my local machine, edit it, and then upload it back up. Now if I create a brand new document on my local machine (this would be a file that never was on my network drive) and want to upload that, is that possible? I tried this and it won't let me upload anything unless the file is already on the network drive.

Thanks for any information. I am just starting with NetStorage and am just trying to get a handle on it.

Thanks,
Andrew
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure about your first two, but I THINK that this may be due to the NetStorage "proxy" user that it sometimes uses (most people will setup NetStorage with "admin" as the proxy user).

Anyway, for #3, yes that SHOULD work. It does work in our case, as I've uploaded "new" content to the server (my home directory). Are you uploading just ONE file or a bunch (as a .zip)?

Are you front-ending NetStorage with anything like NAM? Or just accessing it directly?
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the information. I have 10 OUs in my tree so that is probably what it is for the first questions. It is probably the proxy user for each OU to do the lookups. I am also able to now upload a new file. I don't know what the issues was before but it is now working.

I have a different issue now. I am not front-ending NetStorage with NAM or anything else. Direct access. Last night and when I came in this morning we were not able to download anything. If we clicked the check box beside the file and clicked Download it wouldn't do anything. No pop ups to download would show up at all. I restarted the Apache service and then it started working again like it was supposed to and we were able to click on download and the pop up would pop up to allow us to save it. What would be causing this issue with Apache? I have had to do this the past 2 days now. We are just starting to use this now with some users. I can send you the apache2 error.log if you want. I am not sure how to attach it here or I would.

Here are my settings:
Session Timeout: default is 600 and the value is set to 600
Janitor Interval: default is 320 and the value is set to 4B0
Persistent Cookies: default is 0 and the value is set to 0
LDAP Port: default is 636 and the value is set to 0 (I don't know if this is a problem or not. I did not set this setting it was like this after the install, should this have a value of 636?)
Cookieless: default is 0 and the value is set to 0
ClosesteDirServerDN: default is myserver.myorg, I do not have value set here as I think this is only if this is a Zen Middle Tier Server.

-- Also where can do I change the Max Concurrent Sessions setting and is there a max size that you can Download/Upload?

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.
Andrew
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Normally with NetStorage there's just ONE proxy user defined. I vaguely remember it was used to find/login as the real user if it couldn't find them in the tree or something.

When you download more than one file, the NetStorage server actually performs some zip operations in the background and then you get a .zip file to download, so perhaps that's what you see in the delay. Remember too, that NetStorage has to literally access the server holding the files, so if that server is across a slow WAN link, it'll take time to fetch the files, zip them up and then present them to you as a download.

I'm not sure about the max concurrent sessions/settings. I am not aware of any default max size for upload/download. I know I've used to download a 3.2 GB SLES .ISO file just fine.

My settings are mostly the same as yours although I have NAM and the old ZENworks NetIdentity agent so I have to change the cookieless settings to work properly. Only other difference is that I have my LDAP set to 389 (easier to troubleshoot) since the servers in question are all in our server room on the same VLAN.

This is on OES2 SP3 with the latest OES patches, yes?
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Yeah this is an OES2 SP3 with latest patches. Everything seems to be ok now though. Maybe it was just something with Apache that got cleared up. It has been a week so far and I have had no issues.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.