Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NetStorage User Account and Password Management

I have setup NetStorage on a Middle Tier server and am starting to provide access to this for our users.

Authentication is to the eDirectory 8.7.3 and works great, as long as the password has not expired.

Those that access our network using the Novell Client have tools to change the password when it expires.

But I cannot think of a way to change the password for our users that only use the NetStorage access to the network.

Can anyone suggest a slick or preferred way to manage your user account via the web only.

I am reluctant to setup VPN just so the client can manage the accounts especially since a VPN would also provide access to the network resources therefore negating the need for NetStorage.

Thanks in advance.

Glen

Glen
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If I'm understanding correctly:

You have NetStorage (not iFolder) installed on a server that's in your DMZ? (not sure what exactly you mean by a middle tier server). Not that it matters, but is this NetWare or OES2 Linux?

Either way, the only way I can think of is that you will have to front-end your NetStorage with "something". The "something" that comes to mind readily is Novell Access Manager. The user would have to authenticate through NAM (against eDir) and could be auto-redirected to either IDM UserApp or the free Password Servlets to enforce a password change. They should then be able to be SSO'd to NetStorage (unless they have the ZEN 7 desktop agent or the netidentity client on their workstation), as that throws a monkey wrench into things.

There MAY be a way to enforce this with just the password servlet, but I'm not sure on all the details. Something like you'd tell your users to use a URL that really went to the password servlet server first, and then it would auto-redirect them to NetStorage if things were fine?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Glen,

I'm using the "Virtual Office" for that but this is an older Product and was included until NetWare/SP6 but it still works fine for me. If you are using OES-NetWare maybe you could give it a try.

Best Regards
KlausT
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.