Highlighted
jpeteet
New Member.

Netware 6.5 Licensing question

I have read thread after thread about this - I just want to make sure I understand. I have a mixed tree with 3 Netware 6.0 servers and 5 Netware 6.5 servers. The server licenses and user licenses for 6.0 are not a problem. I'm having a problem with the 6.5 and believe I know the fix. My actual problem is for some reason I am trying to login to one context and it is not mapping drives error code 8901. I have several other machines/users logged into this context and it works fine. I can turn one of the other machines off (or log them out) and the new machine will login correctly. I suspect that the real problem is that I have two 6.5 1000 server licenses installed in my tree and the unlimited license is not being used due to the other licenses in my tree. Nwadmin, double click on license cert for Context 1, and there is no units in use for the unlimited, in Context 4 there is 1 unit in use. Likewise, the 1000 server license (in Context 2) shows 4 used. I will try to explain my layout more thoroughly. It is a bit long winded but I want to give as much information as I can.

I have an 4 contexts under ROOT.
Context 1 - I have a NW 6.5 unlimited server license installed - no servers in this context.
Context 2 - 3 of my 6.5 servers are in context. It has a 1000 server 6.5 license & and user licenses for NW 6.5. Some (not all) of the 6.5 user licenses are being comsumed by users in this context.(This is where I think my fix needs to be done) I'll come back to this later.
Context 3 - One 6.0 server here with it's server & user licenses - no problem. I have a different 6.5 1000 server license installed here as well as 6.5 user licenses. Some (not all) of the 6.5 licenses are consumed by users logged into this context but none of the 6.5 server license units are used.
Context 4 - I have one 6.5 server in this context with the same 6.5 unlimited server license installed as Context 1. No user licenses are here, as there are no users in this context and no one logs into this context. It is strictly used for Bordermanager.

We have license certificate files for 250 6.5 users. I am taking this to be the equivalent of the "paper license" requirement. We do not have near 250 users in total so I feel that we are good there - if I understand it correctly. As far as I know this was all setup by my predecessor in preparation for upgrading to 6.5 servers so that all we would have to do is install/upgrade the server and the licenses would be ready to go.

My thoughts on what needs to be done is install the unlimited 6.5 server license in all contexts - so I do not have one point of failure or have too much tree walking (which I do not believe would be a problem anyway). Then
the 1000 server 6.5 license(s) needs to be deleted from Context 2 (and likely Context 4 as well). Unload and reload NLSLSP on all 6.5 servers. If all is well I should be able to do a VERSION on the affected server consoles and it should show "audited". After that, I can go back and delete the Novell+Netware 6 User+650 license files as well as the 605 user object in each of the contexts. My big problem with this is that the 1000 server 6.5 license files are nowhere to be found so I don't really have a way to get back from this in a catastrophe. Any input would be helpful. Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 Licensing question

You should never mix unlimited and limited licenses for the same NetWare
version in the same tree. Once you have got an unlimited licenses, you
should remove all other licenses for the same NetWare version and *only*
use the unlimited license.
This is because unlimited and limited licenses are fundementally different
in the way they operate and mixing them causes problems. Unlimited
licenses are only server licenses and tell the server which uses them that
the server should not care about user licenses. For limited licenses
however you have separate server and user licenses. The server license
tells the server that it has to use the limited licensing model and that
the server should look for user licenses. Upon user login, the server will
then check whether the user already has a license certificate associated,
and if not, it will assign one. Novell has actually done away with the
limited licenses for a number of years now. For all license purchases over
the last years, Novell has always distributed unlimited license
certificates, and at the end, they even stopped doing that and simply
included the unlimited license certificate on the installation CD.

The solution to your problem is as you already suggested yourself. E.g.
remove all "limited" Netware 6.5 licenses and replace them with the
unlimited license certificate. The most important thing to delete is the
limited NetWare 6.5 server licenses. Once those licenses are replaced, the
servers won't even bother to look for user licenses any more. If however
you forget to remove one of the "wrong"server licenses, you will remain
stuck with licensing problems.
You can install that same license in multiple contexts if you want for
performance reasons.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
jpeteet
New Member.

Thank you Marcel. I installed the 6.5 unlimited license in each context and deleted the 6.5 1000 server licenses. Rebooted the servers and they all show audited.

I have not deleted the user licenses yet. I have one question to confirm. Most of my users actually login to one of my NW 6.0 servers and attach or map a drive to one of my 6.5 servers. In NWADMIN the 6.5 user licenses still show to be consumed by these users. I understand that they will hold the licenses for 90 days. So the job is only halfway done I guess. I did not have enough time before users started arriving and logging in today to get that done. I am guessing that I need to do this when none of the users are logged in? My main question is, will it cause them to not see the 6.5 server by deleting the 6.5 stratefied license files? I am expecting it not to be a problem because the 6.5 unlimited license will allow them to connect without attempting to consume a 6.5 user license. Thank you.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

jpeteet wrote:

> In NWADMIN the 6.5 user
>licenses still show to be consumed by these users. I understand that
>they will hold the licenses for 90 days. So the job is only halfway done
>I guess. I did not have enough time before users started arriving and
>logging in today to get that done. I am guessing that I need to do this
>when none of the users are logged in? My main question is, will it cause
>them to not see the 6.5 server by deleting the 6.5 stratefied license
>files? I am expecting it not to be a problem because the 6.5 unlimited
>license will allow them to connect without attempting to consume a 6.5
>user license. Thank you.

It's normal that the users still show as using the user licenses because
as you correctly indicated, they are used for 90 days. However you can
safely delete them because the servers no longer check the NetWare 6.5
user licenses and deleting the license objects will have no impact on user
connections. Just make sure you don't delete a NetWare 6.0 license by
mistake because those licenses may continue to be used by your 6.0 servers.

--
Marcel Cox
0 Likes
jpeteet
New Member.

Thank you Marcel. I have one further question. My original problem, where my new workstation will not map drives is still happening. All other machines logged in fine as before. When I try to log this one in, it is logging into one of the 6.5 servers and will map the two drive mappings to that server, but will not map drives to one of the 6.0 servers. Anything that I may be missing - other than removing the 6.5 user licenses across the tree?
0 Likes
jpeteet
New Member.

Also one of my 6.5 servers is a Bordermanager server (I also have one that is NW 6.0). On the 6.5 Proxy Cache server screen it now shows "License Auditing Service Module Initialized" - whereas my 6.0 server does not show that. Is that correct or normal?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

jpeteet wrote:

> but will not map drives to one of the 6.0
>servers.

Ok, so it is the NetWare 6.0 mapping that is not working. From your
original question, I had wrongly concluded that you had no problems with
your 6.0 servers but you had problems mapping a 6.5 drive.

Well, the error you get typically derives from the impossibility to get a
license. This can have 2 causes:

1) There are no licenses left. This can easily be verified by checking the
property of the user license object to see how many licenses are used and
how many are free

2) The user is in a context where it doesn't have access to a license. You
should be aware that in NetWare 6.x environments, user licenses are
searched for starting from the user context and going up to the root. If
there is no matching license container between the user context and the
root, then the user will not be able to get a license. The user cannot use
licensing objects in a parallel container. This means that the user
license objects need to be put in a container bing above all containers
holding the users that need access to the license.

--
Marcel Cox
0 Likes
jpeteet
New Member.

Thank you very much Marcel. You hit the nail on the head. The context that is being logged into is above the context where the NW6.0 user licenses are located. I moved some of my NW 6.0 user licenses to that higher context using Imanager and it fixed my problem. Thank you so much.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.