Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3518 views

Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

I try to install netware 6.5 on ASUS A8V-MX RAID, Athlon 64 3000+, after
installation finished I reboot the computer but netware doesn't start. Only
caldera dos boot on C:\ prompt. I try to start manulay netware
c:\NWSERVER\SERVER but sistem stop to ":" prompt. Please advice
Labels (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

y.grigorov@dscbg.com wrote:

> I try to install netware 6.5 on ASUS A8V-MX RAID, Athlon 64 3000+,
> after installation finished I reboot the computer but netware doesn't
> start. Only caldera dos boot on C:\ prompt. I try to start manulay
> netware c:\NWSERVER\SERVER but sistem stop to ":" prompt. Please
> advice


Start your server with server.exe -ns -na
and give the following commands. See how far you get.

STARTUP.NCF
LOADSTAGE 1
LOADSTAGE 2
LOADSTAGE 3
LOADSTAGE 4
AUTOEXEC.NCF
LOADSTAGE 5

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

> y.grigorov@dscbg.com wrote:
>
> > I try to install netware 6.5 on ASUS A8V-MX RAID, Athlon 64 3000+,
> > after installation finished I reboot the computer but netware doesn't
> > start. Only caldera dos boot on C:\ prompt. I try to start manulay
> > netware c:\NWSERVER\SERVER but sistem stop to ":" prompt. Please
> > advice

>
> Start your server with server.exe -ns -na
> and give the following commands. See how far you get.
>
> STARTUP.NCF
> LOADSTAGE 1
> LOADSTAGE 2
> LOADSTAGE 3
> LOADSTAGE 4
> AUTOEXEC.NCF
> LOADSTAGE 5
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Edward



I see this:
WARNING: Skipping stage 1 loading of nlms

WARNING: Skipping stage 2 loading of nlms

WARNING: Skipping stage 3 loading of nlms

WARNING: Skipping stage 4 loading of nlms
Module TBX.NLM unloaded

WARNING: Skipping stage 5 loading of nlms

and again ":"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

> and again ":"

Once you get to the : prompt try the following commands one at a time:

STARTUP.NCF
LOADSTAGE 1
LOADSTAGE 2
LOADSTAGE 3
LOADSTAGE 4
AUTOEXEC.NCF
LOADSTAGE 5

What error(s) do you see for any of these commands?

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

"I want to live like there is no tomorrow
I want to dance like no one's around
I want to sing like nobody's listening
I want to give like I have plenty
I want to love like I'm not afraid
I want to be the man I was meant to be"
- Chris Tomlin's "The Way I Was Made"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

y.grigorov@dscbg.com wrote:


> I see this:
> WARNING: Skipping stage 1 loading of nlms


Try what Tim suggests and also, do you see any notice that your sys
volume is being mounted ? Doesn't really sounds like it.



--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

> Try what Tim suggests and also, do you see any notice that your sys
> volume is being mounted ? Doesn't really sounds like it.


Sys should mount during/right after the startup.ncf is run.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

"I want to live like there is no tomorrow
I want to dance like no one's around
I want to sing like nobody's listening
I want to give like I have plenty
I want to love like I'm not afraid
I want to be the man I was meant to be"
- Chris Tomlin's "The Way I Was Made"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install


and if you can't even run any of those commands, it's likely you have
bad RAM.


--
Cheers!
Richard Beels
~ Network Consultant
~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection
~ MCNE, CNE*, CNA*, CNS*, N*LS


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install


sys will auto-mount in between stage 1 and 2.

stage 1 is post-STARTUP.NCF & before any volumes are mounted.
stage 2 is NLMs that need need to be loaded after the SYS volume has
mounted, but before the AUTOEXEC.NCF is executed.



--
Cheers!
Richard Beels
~ Network Consultant
~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection
~ MCNE, CNE*, CNA*, CNS*, N*LS


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

>
> and if you can't even run any of those commands, it's likely you have
> bad RAM.
>
>
> --
> Cheers!
> Richard Beels
> ~ Network Consultant
> ~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection
> ~ MCNE, CNE*, CNA*, CNS*, N*LS
>
>

I see this:

Volume SYS could NOT be mounted......

What do you thing??

Can be RAID Problem?? This is SATA RAID VT8251.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

y.grigorov@dscbg.com wrote:

> Volume SYS could NOT be mounted......
>
> What do you thing??
>
> Can be RAID Problem?? This is SATA RAID VT8251.


Can you check the startup.ncf to see if there any drivers in there for
that SATA raid ?


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install


if SYS could not be mounted, you need to check the drivers for the
drives. you seem to make it to a console prompt when you run "server
-na -ns".

you then need to run "startup.ncf". when you do, I bet you're getting
some NLMs that fail to load or you don't have the proper drivers in
there for your drives. the errors will be eithe ron the console screen
or the logger screen. post back the text of the startup's loading.


--
Cheers!
Richard Beels
~ Network Consultant
~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection
~ MCNE, CNE*, CNA*, CNS*, N*LS


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 doesn't start after install

>
> if SYS could not be mounted, you need to check the drivers for the
> drives. you seem to make it to a console prompt when you run "server
> -na -ns".
>
> you then need to run "startup.ncf". when you do, I bet you're getting
> some NLMs that fail to load or you don't have the proper drivers in
> there for your drives. the errors will be eithe ron the console screen
> or the logger screen. post back the text of the startup's loading.
>
>
> --
> Cheers!
> Richard Beels
> ~ Network Consultant
> ~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection
> ~ MCNE, CNE*, CNA*, CNS*, N*LS
>
>

Please coud you hepl me where i have to check for supported RAIDs and other
hardware?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.