Highlighted
gleahy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Netware 6.5 sp8 to OES2SP2 migration - backup and restore?

Hi,

I am migrating file services from Netware 6.5 SP 8,edir 885 to OES2SP2/Sles10sp3. NICS are setup on 1 GB backbone for these servers. Using miggui and nbackup fastest I can get is 20 GB/Hour! I have 2TB of data to move and this isn't looking appealling at these speeds!

1. Is there another way?

2. Is it possible to do a tape backup on the Netware NSS volumes and then restore to the linux server (this is a clustered file system).

Gwen
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Netware 6.5 sp8 to OES2SP2 migration - backup and restor

20 GB/hour is about what we averaged as well. Lots of small files just kill the speed, to be honest.

We've found that actually faster than tape (but our tape drives are not local to the device, they're streamed to a robotic library, etc. etc.)

IF your tape backup software supports multiplatform backup/restore (ours does not--Symantec NBU--) AND it's local, then you could probabl do it.

IF this is SAN attached (you mentioned clustered file system), there's no reason (IMO) to be migrating the files.

I did a rolling cluster upgrade just for that very purpose. Offline the resource (NSS Volume) on NetWare, and online it on Linux. Voila! (you do have some downtime for the trustees to be rebuilt, however).

From the sounds of it, you're either not doing a rolling cluster upgrade (ie, you installed a NEW cluster for Linux and the two are separate). In that case, assuming both clusters are connected to the SAN . . .

I believe you can simply "detach" the LUN from the NetWare cluster, re-assign it to the Linux cluster and then re-cluster enable it (this is the BASIC overview).

But I've never done that between diff. clusters.
0 Likes
utman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware 6.5 sp8 to OES2SP2 migration - backup and restor

Can you help me understand your situation a little better? Are you changing the SAN backend as well? If so a backend SAN copy would move the data faster. If the you are just removing NW servers from the cluster and replacing them with OES Linux then what kjhurni recommends, the rolling cluster upgrade, sounds like it would be the best option. A little more detail may help determine the best route to take.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.