Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1332 views

Netware 6.5 to OES2 SP3 data migration

Hi,
I have problem with data migration from old NetWare 6.5 Server Version 5.70.07 to freshly installed OES2 SP3. The issue is with polish characters in file/directories names.
When I'm trying to migrate date volumes to OES2, when UTF8 encoding is used, file names (with polish characters) looks junk. I'm using Novell Migration Tools (miggui) in my OES2.
I tried also to use CLI migfiles , but it just said, that:"tsafs on source x is not latest" and the result was the same.
Novell clients on workstations has UTF-8 disabled, so files on netware server are stored in unknown to me netware encoding.

What I want to achieve is to migrate data, switch client to use UTF8 encoding and have files with polish names displayed correctly.
thanks in advance for any ideas
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

On 09.09.2011 10:06, tapczan wrote:
> Novell clients on workstations has UTF-8 disabled, so files on netware
> server are stored in unknown to me netware encoding.


I'm afraid your in a pretty bad position. Netware *does* store files in
UTF-8. The problem you face is, that your Windows clients (with UTF-8
disabled), and your Netware server use differing codepages, and because
UTF-8 is disabled, do use these codepages to translate characters. The
result of this is, when the codepages are different, the reuslting files
in the fliesystem factually contain junk encoding. This doesn't matter,
as on the way back from server to workstation *without* UTF-8, the error
gets reversed. OES2 plays no role here, you would see exactly the same
problem on the Netware server already, if you simply enable UTF-8 in the
client. You would immediately see junk filenames, the way they are
stored physically in the filesystem.

> What I want to achieve is to migrate data, switch client to use UTF8
> encoding and have files with polish names displayed correctly.
> thanks in advance for any ideas


I'm afraid you will have to eventually correct all the filenames as
stored on the server. There may be tools, or maybe you can even write a
script, but using miggui you stand no chance. It simply reads the files
in UTF-8 as they are now, and they are factually junk now.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

mrosen;2135883 wrote:
Hi.

On 09.09.2011 10:06, tapczan wrote:
> Novell clients on workstations has UTF-8 disabled, so files on netware
> server are stored in unknown to me netware encoding.


I'm afraid your in a pretty bad position. Netware *does* store files in
UTF-8. The problem you face is, that your Windows clients (with UTF-8
disabled), and your Netware server use differing codepages, and because
UTF-8 is disabled, do use these codepages to translate characters. The
result of this is, when the codepages are different, the reuslting files
in the fliesystem factually contain junk encoding. This doesn't matter,
as on the way back from server to workstation *without* UTF-8, the error
gets reversed. OES2 plays no role here, you would see exactly the same
problem on the Netware server already, if you simply enable UTF-8 in the
client. You would immediately see junk filenames, the way they are
stored physically in the filesystem.

> What I want to achieve is to migrate data, switch client to use UTF8
> encoding and have files with polish names displayed correctly.
> thanks in advance for any ideas


I'm afraid you will have to eventually correct all the filenames as
stored on the server. There may be tools, or maybe you can even write a
script, but using miggui you stand no chance. It simply reads the files
in UTF-8 as they are now, and they are factually junk now.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
Untitled Document


thanks for reply
fixing filenames is lot of work.

Another option for me is copy data to temporary workstation with utf disabled, then enable utf8 and copy data to target OES server. permissions and other metadata will be lost, but manually recreate it is much easier than play with filenames.
I tried to migrate it with trustee.nlm (netware) and metamig (oes), but these tools are incompatible.

If someone has simpier solution i would be grateful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.