km_techs Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1864 views

Netware / AD Environment - Access Microsoft Shares

Hello -

We are currently in the process of moving many of our core Netware systems over to Active Directory. We have already configured IDM to sync between the two systems.

Since it is not feasible for us to migrate the entire system all at once, we are doing a phased migration. As such, we will need to be able to run a dual system for awhile.

We have already enabled CIFS on our Netware server so that users on Active Directory can access shares that are on the Netware side. The problem we are running into however, is we also need to be able to allow a computer that has not yet been moved to Active Directory to access an Active Directory share. Is there any provision in the Novell Client to reuse Netware credentials against an Active Directory share? They would match because we already have the IDM syncing in place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Netware / AD Environment - Access Microsoft Shares

Simply run "Net use J: \\Server\Share /user:Domain\%username%

Since the PWDs for %username% match, it will pass through and authenticate.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the Novell Client.
It's all MS Networking stuff.

On 7/12/2012 11:26 AM, km techs wrote:
>
> Hello -
>
> We are currently in the process of moving many of our core Netware
> systems over to Active Directory. We have already configured IDM to
> sync between the two systems.
>
> Since it is not feasible for us to migrate the entire system all at
> once, we are doing a phased migration. As such, we will need to be able
> to run a dual system for awhile.
>
> We have already enabled CIFS on our Netware server so that users on
> Active Directory can access shares that are on the Netware side. The
> problem we are running into however, is we also need to be able to allow
> a computer that has not yet been moved to Active Directory to access an
> Active Directory share. Is there any provision in the Novell Client to
> reuse Netware credentials against an Active Directory share? They would
> match because we already have the IDM syncing in place.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.


--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
km_techs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware / AD Environment - Access Microsoft Shares

Thanks for the quick insight, but that however will not work.

I should have probably specified that the Novell machines are currently configured to automatically login to either a Staff or Student account.

I posted this in the Novell Client section of the forum with the hopes that someone might know of a way to reuse the credentials from the Netware Client for other purposes.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Netware / AD Environment - Access Microsoft Shares

If they are logging in with a Generic Account to Windows, it is not
possible.

If they loging to windows with an account that matches their CN and
their local pwd matches their eDir pwd it should.


On 7/12/2012 3:16 PM, km techs wrote:
>
> Thanks for the quick insight, but that however will not work.
>
> I should have probably specified that the Novell machines are currently
> configured to automatically login to either a Staff or Student account.
>
> I posted this in the Novell Client section of the forum with the hopes
> that someone might know of a way to reuse the credentials from the
> Netware Client for other purposes.
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.


--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
km_techs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware / AD Environment - Access Microsoft Shares

That's what I feared. I guess I'm probably going to just write an AutoIt script that prompts for the password and then make that run during login.

Then I can just map the drive with a command such as this:
net use J: \\Server\Share /user:Domain\%nwusername% %passwordvariable%

Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Netware / AD Environment - Access Microsoft Shares

Have you considered performing a "Generic" mapping to the Windows Servers?

create a "Staff" and "Student" account that can map there?


On 7/13/2012 3:06 PM, km techs wrote:
>
> That's what I feared. I guess I'm probably going to just write an
> AutoIt script that prompts for the password and then make that run
> during login.
>
> Then I can just map the drive with a command such as this:
> net use J: \\Server\Share /user:Domain\%nwusername% %passwordvariable%
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.


--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
km_techs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware / AD Environment - Access Microsoft Shares

Unfortunately, that would be a security nightmare. We need it to be able to maintain the security permissions that are already assigned to the users on the system.

I have a pretty decent AutoIt script going to map the drive. It just prompts for the password again and issues a net use against the AD server. Then, we can map the drives as usual.

There is another issue I have run into, however. Because of the Network Provider order, there is a terrible delay when mapping the drives. If I bump the Microsoft Windows provider to the top, it fixes the delay, but then Novell stuff no longer maps correctly (only on Windows XP, however).

I'm trying to figure out a way to force certain connections to use certain network providers and haven't found anything yet. If I can solve the delay issue, this should work perfectly for our purposes. It is only a temporary situation until we get off from Netware.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Vaxman2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware / AD Environment - Access Microsoft Shares

km_techs;2207662 wrote:
There is another issue I have run into, however. Because of the Network Provider order, there is a terrible delay when mapping the drives. If I bump the Microsoft Windows provider to the top, it fixes the delay, but then Novell stuff no longer maps correctly (only on Windows XP, however).


I was able to fix this issue by creating a "BadServer" MultiString reg entry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetwareWorkstation\Parameters

adding our Windows servers to the list.

See Support | Slow logins; workstation resolving for SPECIAL -the part you need is this:

a.) Right click on the red N in your system tray. Select "Novell Client Properties..."
b.) Click on the "Advanced Settings" tab. Scroll to"Bad Server Name Cache Enabled" and make sure that it is set to"On".
c.) Scroll to the "Bad Server Name Cache Timeout" and set it to 0.
d.) Click OK and save your changes.
e.) Go to Start | Run | Regedit. Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetwareWorkstation\Paramters . On the right side, right click and select "New" |"Multi-String Value". The new registry key name will be BadServer.
f.) Double click on the BadServer key. Enter in SPECIAL (or however the name shows up in LAN traces). If you have multiple entries, make sure they are separated by a carriage return, otherwise known as the "Enter" key.
g.) Click on the OK button to save your changes.
h.) Reboot your workstation.

Where the doscs refer to SPECIAL, that would be your server names. It was the only fix that I could ever find that worked, but you have to remember to add any new servers to the list. But since it's a stop gap until you finish your migration, it should work for you.

BTW, this only works on the older 4.91 client, the Novell Client 2 doesn't use this. For them, I switched off all Name Services/protocols except DNS in the Novell client to speed them up. This was probably due to a bad setup on our 6.5 servers by the network admin, but it worked!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.