Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1468 views

Netware server and Virtual Memory Problem

I just applied NW65SP6 to a server running ZEN 7 sp1. We use this server
for imaging and pushing down policies. It has Trend Server Protect 5.58
recently installed as well.

About two weeks after I applied SP6 the server just reset itself with no
warning and no message in the abend.log. It happened again two days ago.

When I load monitor, virtual memory and press TAB to see the entire screen,
it shows "Page faults, total" at over 17,000,000 in just two days of uptime.
The "Page faults per second" is incrementing every second, sometimes by
hundreds or thousands.

My other Netware servers have a couple thousand page faults but they are not
constantly increasing.

Is this part of my problem and how do I troubleshoot this?


Thanks!

Matt
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware server and Virtual Memory Problem

Matt,

This sounds like you have very memory hungry programs running in protected
mode abut little physical RAM available for protected mode applications.
How much memory does your server have? Did you at any time in the past
statically tune your memory?

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
No email replies please !

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware server and Virtual Memory Problem

This is an older server with only 786MB. I have never statically tuned it
because I was under the impression you needed more than 1GB to do that.

I found something else. In Remote Manager, Health Monitor, Virtual Memory
Health Information the graph shows swapped to disk 98%, physical memory 1%.
OUCH!

Physical Memory in Use: 155,480
Memory Swapped to Disk: 126,214,144
Total Bytes in Virtual Memory: 127,770,624

Also, after doing a bunch of reading I found TID 10099748 which exactly
describes my abend problem. I emailed to get the patch and will install it
soon.

Think that is related to my memory problem?

Matt

>>> On 1/14/2007 at 4:53 AM, in message

<VA.0000219b.007dceaa@myrealbox.com>,
Marcel Cox<cimetmc@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> This sounds like you have very memory hungry programs running in
> protected
> mode abut little physical RAM available for protected mode applications.
> How much memory does your server have? Did you at any time in the past
> statically tune your memory?

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware server and Virtual Memory Problem

Matt Schlawin wrote:

>Also, after doing a bunch of reading I found TID 10099748 which exactly
>describes my abend problem.


Are you sure you are indicating the correct TID?
I can see nothing in that TID that seems to relate to your problem.

In any case, I see a major problem in the amount of memory you have.
786MB is way to little for a NetWare 6.5 server running ZENworks.
Especially in case you might also be running the inventory database,
iManager and similar services.
I simply think your problem is that the server swaps itself to death
simply because of having way too little memory for the programs you are
running on it.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware server and Virtual Memory Problem

My fault. Should have been clearer. In my original post I said that the
server was resetting without writing anything to the abend.log. Just
spontaneously rebooting. This started after applying ZEN 7 SP1.

After doing some investigating, I found that the compaq management agents
*were* showing an abend in DTS.NLM. TID 3720748 does describe this problem.
(Sorry, I did cite the wrong TID when I posted my message. That was ZEN
6.5 but I did download the patch for ZEN 7.1 SP1) Since the RAM situation
appeared to also be a problem, I wanted to keep pursuing it.

I just added RAM to get to 1,834,606K and now the Remote Manager reports 99%
Physical and 0% swapped to disk. Page faults are at 45,850 and have not
moved.

Thanks! I'm certain that fixed the memory problem,

Now I would like to install the ZEN 7 hotfix, but it refuses to install.
"Unable to determine that Zenworks 7 is installed on this server" I'll
post that in the ZEN forums.

Marcel, thanks again for your help!

Matt

>>> On 1/15/2007 at 1:38 AM, in message <eofamj$srn$1@linux.cie.etat.lu>,

Marcel Cox<cimetmc@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Matt Schlawin wrote:
>
>>Also, after doing a bunch of reading I found TID 10099748 which exactly
>>describes my abend problem.

>
> Are you sure you are indicating the correct TID?
> I can see nothing in that TID that seems to relate to your problem.
>
> In any case, I see a major problem in the amount of memory you have.
> 786MB is way to little for a NetWare 6.5 server running ZENworks.
> Especially in case you might also be running the inventory database,
> iManager and similar services.
> I simply think your problem is that the server swaps itself to death
> simply because of having way too little memory for the programs you are
> running on it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware server and Virtual Memory Problem

Matt Schlawin wrote:

>After doing some investigating, I found that the compaq management agents
>*were* showing an abend in DTS.NLM. TID 3720748 does describe this
>problem.
> (Sorry, I did cite the wrong TID when I posted my message.


I don't know what type of abend you had in DTS.NLM, but note that if it
happens to be a spinlock abend, then it is likely not due to DTS.NLM
itself, but rather to the winsock modules and you may need the following
patch:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2975017.htm

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.6)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Netware server and Virtual Memory Problem

Marcel,

The compaq management logs show several abends at a time. The first one on
Jan 4 is your spinlock abend on process NWTS. Then two other lockup events
were immediately detected. I'm guessing your winsock patch will address
this issue.

But on Jan 9th, I did not get the spinlock, but got a Page Fault in NWTS
executing code in DTS.NLM. Then two more lockup messages followed. This
sounds more like the ZEN issue in TID 3720748

For now, I plan on putting on the winsock patch and then waiting. Perhaps
the added RAM and Winsock patch will fix the other problems?

I have time to work on this so I'm just going to go a step at a time. If it
still abends, then I'll try to get the ZEN patch going.

Thanks again!

Matt

>>> On 1/15/2007 at 2:17 PM, in message

<3jRqh.968$Sz4.396@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Marcel
Cox<cimetmc@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Matt Schlawin wrote:
>
>>After doing some investigating, I found that the compaq management agents
>>*were* showing an abend in DTS.NLM. TID 3720748 does describe this
>>problem.
>> (Sorry, I did cite the wrong TID when I posted my message.

>
> I don't know what type of abend you had in DTS.NLM, but note that if it
> happens to be a spinlock abend, then it is likely not due to DTS.NLM
> itself, but rather to the winsock modules and you may need the following
>
> patch:
>
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2975017.htm

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.