Robert_W_Brandt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Network Card becoming disabled

Hello everyone,

I am having a strange problem which to be honest I don't think is related to the Novell Client, but I am being forced into proving Novell Client's innocence. Since upgrading to Novell Client 4.91 SP5 IR1 we have seen a random Network Cards become disabled automatically.

What is happening is that the Network Card becomes disabled by itself. Obviously this is a huge problem as the helpdesk can no longer remotely connect to fix the problem and must rely on the "end-user" to help us. What makes the problem worse is that I can not identify the exact cause and have seen no references to it on the Internet...

Because we loose network connectivity, I can't troubleshoot remote. However, I have seen first-hand a NIC become disabled after a simple reboot. Problem is that on this same workstation I have had times where I could reproduce the problem and times when I could NOT!! Which makes troubleshooting the problem even more difficult. (I hate these problems)

Again it is not every workstation that has this problem. And It is not isolated to a single type of NIC. In fact it is only a small percentage of workstations
We have workstations with older Novell Clients which have had the same problem, however we have yet to find a workstations without a Novell Client to have this problem. (However we have very few workstations without a Novell Client)
That being said, the helpdesk has reported that most of the workstations have been "fixed" by downgrading the Novell Client. This combined with the fact that the problem only started after the upgrade has lead to the belief that this problem is cause by the Novell Client...

What troubleshooting I did seend to indicate that the problem was related to Windows Service "Wired AutoConfig". On a number of the workstations I saw, there was an entry in the Event Log stating that this service has disabled the NIC during boot. I know this service is only used for 802.1x authentication across a wired ethernet connection (And we do use 802.1x with our WIRELESS connections) but there is very little information about this service out on the Internet. Long story short, disabling this service seemed to to the trick.

However we have since found other workstations were the NICs are becoming disabled on boot, and this fix is not working!

I found that on some workstations, if I go to the properties of the NIC and modify the "Wake on LAN" or "Wake up Capabilities" properties, that it seems to fix the problem. But again, this only worked on a couple workstations...

Has anyone ever seen this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bob Brandt
Labels (1)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Highlighted
kpmonson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Network Card becoming disabled

I'm having the EXACT same problem. It didn't start until I updated our image with the latest MS patches, Adaptive Agent 10.3.3, and Novell Client SP5 IR1. Although on other machines I've updated to IR1 and the 10.3.3 agent and haven't had any issues. I have been able to replicate the issue across multiple platforms by logging in, launching Internet Explorer, browsing to a website, then restarting the machine. We're still flailing about trying to find a solution, I'll be sure to update if we can find anything.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I had a suspicion that is was a Microsoft Patch. Problem is you would think if it was the patches alone, that the problem would be more wide spread...
If I find a solutions I'll let you know.

Bob
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 15.07.2011 09:36, robert w brandt wrote:
>
> I had a suspicion that is was a Microsoft Patch. Problem is you would
> think if it was the patches alone, that the problem would be more wide
> spread...
> If I find a solutions I'll let you know.

Your first check would be in the windows event viewer. A nic (or any
other device) deactivating should be recorded there.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Absent Member.

And this is exactly how I found out about the Wired Autoconfig service. I would see that just after boot it something (which I later traced the the Wired Autoconfig) was disabling the NIC. However, we still have workstations that are having the same problem, but I am not seeing anything in the Event Log to explain it. I want to say it is two different problems with the same symptom, but that seems very coincidental.

Thanks
Bob

mrosen;2121614 wrote:

Your first check would be in the windows event viewer. A nic (or any
other device) deactivating should be recorded there.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If u can duplicate with wired autoconfig disabled, you may want to try
ProcMon to see if it leads to any clues.

On 7/15/2011 4:36 AM, robert w brandt wrote:
>
> And this is exactly how I found out about the Wired Autoconfig service.
> I would see that just after boot it something (which I later traced the
> the Wired Autoconfig) was disabling the NIC. However, we still have
> workstations that are having the same problem, but I am not seeing
> anything in the Event Log to explain it. I want to say it is two
> different problems with the same symptom, but that seems very
> coincidental.
>
> Thanks
> Bob
>
> mrosen;2121614 Wrote:
>>
>> Your first check would be in the windows event viewer. A nic (or any
>> other device) deactivating should be recorded there.
>>

>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

craig_wilson;2121674 wrote:
If u can duplicate with wired autoconfig disabled, you may want to try
ProcMon to see if it leads to any clues.

I'll try when I get a chance, but I doubt it will help. The problem is that all this happens before login, so I never have an opportunity to run and diagnostic software. And since the network card is disabled before it even gets an IP Address, I can use any remote tools either...I'm stuck with the Windows Event Logs which are pitiful. 😞

Bob
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can enable BootLogging with ProcMon.
This enables a driver to capture everything during the boot process.

After Enabling Bootlogging, simply follow steps that will cause NIC to
disable at reboot. Then Reboot. After Logging into Windows start
Procmon and it will prompt you to save the log created during the boot
process.

On 7/15/2011 9:06 AM, robert w brandt wrote:
>
> craig_wilson;2121674 Wrote:
>> If u can duplicate with wired autoconfig disabled, you may want to try
>> ProcMon to see if it leads to any clues.

>
> I'll try when I get a chance, but I doubt it will help. The problem is
> that all this happens before login, so I never have an opportunity to
> run and diagnostic software. And since the network card is disabled
> before it even gets an IP Address, I can use any remote tools
> either...I'm stuck with the Windows Event Logs which are pitiful. 😞
>
> Bob
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Sweet! I will definitely try.

Bob

craig_wilson;2121688 wrote:
You can enable BootLogging with ProcMon.
This enables a driver to capture everything during the boot process.

After Enabling Bootlogging, simply follow steps that will cause NIC to
disable at reboot. Then Reboot. After Logging into Windows start
Procmon and it will prompt you to save the log created during the boot
process.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

12.07.2011 12:06, robert w brandt wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am having a strange problem which to be honest I don't think is
> related to the Novell Client, but I am being forced into proving Novell
> Client's innocence. Since upgrading to Novell Client 4.91 SP5 IR1 we
> have seen a random Network Cards become disabled automatically.
>

Hi.

I have got problem like you when I was testing 802.1x authentication.
I solved it by uninstalling and reinstalling Novell Client 4.91 SP5 IR1
with last patches.

May be that help you.
0 Likes
kpmonson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any luck? I tried with both ProcMon and good 'ol snAppshot and was able to determine a couple of values were being changed from 0's to 1's, but I couldn't ever track down what was changing them or when. I've had no success re-installing the client post-image, rolling back to pre-IR1 or shutting off the Wired AutoConfig service. I did uninstall the latest security patches from MS and so far so good, performing additional testing now.

The keys that would change from 0's (enabled) to 1's (disabled) after a reboot were the following (I realize some of this is probably device specific but I included it anyway):

{HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\0001\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_2000&SUBSYS_20001022&REV_10\4&47B7341&0&0888}
"CSConfigFlags"=dword:00000001

{HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_2000&SUBSYS_20001022&REV_10\4&47B7341&0&0888}
"CSConfigFlags"=dword:00000001
0 Likes
Absent Member.

kpmonson;2122547 wrote:
Any luck? I tried with both ProcMon and good 'ol snAppshot and was able to determine a couple of values were being changed from 0's to 1's, but I couldn't ever track down what was changing them or when. I've had no success re-installing the client post-image, rolling back to pre-IR1 or shutting off the Wired AutoConfig service. I did uninstall the latest security patches from MS and so far so good, performing additional testing now.

Honestly, I haven't tried yet. I am stuck traveling on the road right now for a server upgrade project. (Another weird thing is that all the problems seem to be isolated to just a few sites and not the entire network??) I have passed this info onto my helpdesk staff, but they are either too busy or too novice to look into it...

I will definitely let you know what I find when I get a chance. It is good news (for me anyway) and that you are seeing positive results from rolling back the MS patches.

Bob
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.