UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

New DST setup

I have a 2 node cluster on OES2/SLES 10.3. I'm going to set up some DST for our current NSS volumes. I have several cluster volume resource pools, and 2 of them have several volumes in the clustered pool. I'm thinking about creating one large DST NSS volume for each cluster pool, with a folder for each primary volume. IE, if I have primary volumes sys1 and sys2 on cluster pool 1, my paths to secondary would be /media/nss/DST1/sys1_dst and /media/nss/DST1/sys2_dst, where DST1 is the nss volume in it's own pool. Can that be done? If so, then my unload script would end with this:

ignore_error nss /pooldeact=POOL1
ignore_error nss /pooldeact=DSTPOOL1

and the load script would look like this:

exit_on_error ncpcon mount SYS1=254,shadowvolume=DST1
exit_on_error ncpcon mount SYS2=253
exit_on_error ncpcon mount SYS3=252

So the secondary volume loads with the first primary volume. Is that screwy? The downside to creating one secondary volume for each primary is having to pre-allocate space to each secondary volume and maintain them separately.

Thanks.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You can cluster DST 2 diff. ways according to the Novell docs.

I chose the option that integrated the two so that I did NOT have to use another set of IP's and create yet another cluster resource.

It sounds, however, like that's the option you wish to use. (there's pros/cons to each one)

Novell Documentation
and

are the two diff. sections

I chose/went with 13.4
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yup, definitely 13.4, but the main thing I'm wondering about is whether I need to create a separate secondary nss volume for each primary volume, or if I can create one DST volume per pool and have a separate folder for each primary volume I'm shadowing.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

DST is a one to one relationship at the VOLUME level.

One volume to one volume

You can't shadow one volume to multiple or vice versa ( it's not DFS)

Are you perhaps thinking DFS instead of DST?

DFS lets you create multiple "target" volumes and point folders to those target volumes. But it's NOT DST (nowhere near the same)
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK, that's fine. I'm talking strictly DST, but trying to think outside the box some to solve the disk allocation problem. Also, I think one of the 3rd party hsm solutions used folders when I tested years ago.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Sounds good. You can use DFS together with DST (we do).
I'd also submit an RMS request for your idea/suggestion of multiple DST linkings. I THINK Novell is investigating that possibility, but I'm sure it'll take a while.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks. I've got DST up and running, and it seems to be working well. However, I'm having a problem with my cluster resource now. The unload script isn't unloading the secondary pool, and I'm wondering if there is something screwy with the documentation. For the unload script config, it says:

On the Scripts > Unload Script page, add the following command to dismount the shadow volume.
ignore_error ncpcon unbind --ncpservername=NCS1_POOL1_SERVER --ipaddress=10.10.10.38

But that pool name is the primary and that line was already in the unload script (with my pool name, of course). Do they mean to add a matching line with the secondary pool name?

I posted a new thread for this, but since you already have it working, I wanted to check with you.

Thanks.

Tim
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.