Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2968 views

New Novell beta client for Vista - success

Well, for my modest needs, the new client seems to work well.

1) Uninstalled the tech preview.
2) rebooted
3) installed the new client using "Express Settings"
4) This seemed to take forever. I don't remember Office 2007
taking this long to install. Anyway, after 5-10 minutes it was
ready to reboot.
5) Ugh. Had a "Novell Login" screen now instead of my PC's login.
Fiddled around and got that changed. I don't participate on a
Novell domain, I just log in to specific shares.
6) Normal desktop came up, connected to a share, and Opened an
Excel file with Office 2007. Worked fine.

It seems the uninstall of the CTP and install of the new beta
didn't mess with most (all?) of my NIC settings which is good. I
only want the client on my CAT5 port, not my VPN and wireless
connections. The XP client was notorious for activating itself on
every single connection the PC had.
--
_______________________
Ed H.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

New Novell beta client for Vista - Problem Logging in


Hi all - can anyone help me out here?

I successfully installed the new Public Beta for Vista and was able to log
in locally only - the logon screen gave error 0x800789FC when attempting to
login to the tree.

I have set up the client with the correct SLP scope and entered addresses
for the SLPDA Servers and LDAP servers on our campus network as per XP. on
typing a login name in the login box the correct tree and context for the
user are identified and added to the login boxes however the message Cannot
Find Tree comes up when login is attempted. Clicking on the server list also
shows all the servers on campus but again Cannot Find Tree appears if
Iattempt to login to any of them

Do I need to unblock any programs or ports on the Windows Firewall (set on -
with exceptions - as per vista defaults)
Does UAC (User Access Control) need to be turned off (currently on)
Sorry to ask for help with a Beta - but it looks as if it is so nearly
there - after such a long wait!

Incidentally I had to do a system restore in order to remove the Public Beta
Client (could also be a UAC issue) - so I would strongly advise anyone
trying this client to ensure that they have a full WORKING backup of their
system before they try this client.

for those that have read all the way to the end of this - thanks for your
patience and any help will be really appreciated.

Peter

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - success

On Jun 29, 10:07 am, Ed H. <nos...@myaddress.net> wrote:
> Well, for my modest needs, the new client seems to work well.
>
> 1) Uninstalled the tech preview.
> 2) rebooted
> 3) installed the new client using "Express Settings"
> 4) This seemed to take forever. I don't remember Office 2007
> taking this long to install. Anyway, after 5-10 minutes it was
> ready to reboot.
> 5) Ugh. Had a "Novell Login" screen now instead of my PC's login.
> Fiddled around and got that changed. I don't participate on a
> Novell domain, I just log in to specific shares.
> 6) Normal desktop came up, connected to a share, and Opened an
> Excel file with Office 2007. Worked fine.
>
> It seems the uninstall of the CTP and install of the new beta
> didn't mess with most (all?) of my NIC settings which is good. I
> only want the client on my CAT5 port, not my VPN and wireless
> connections. The XP client was notorious for activating itself on
> every single connection the PC had.
> --
> _______________________
> Ed H.



Are you able to connect to any of your printers? We just installed the
Vista Beta Client and everything seems to work well EXCEPT we can't
add any printers. Vista can't find them in the tree.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - success

How are the printers installed into NetWare? (Queue??)



--
Barry Schnur
Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - success

mike.pauley@gmail.com wrote:

>On Jun 29, 10:07 am, Ed H. <nos...@myaddress.net> wrote:
>> Well, for my modest needs, the new client seems to work well.
>>
>> 1) Uninstalled the tech preview.
>> 2) rebooted
>> 3) installed the new client using "Express Settings"
>> 4) This seemed to take forever. I don't remember Office 2007
>> taking this long to install. Anyway, after 5-10 minutes it was
>> ready to reboot.
>> 5) Ugh. Had a "Novell Login" screen now instead of my PC's login.
>> Fiddled around and got that changed. I don't participate on a
>> Novell domain, I just log in to specific shares.
>> 6) Normal desktop came up, connected to a share, and Opened an
>> Excel file with Office 2007. Worked fine.
>>
>> It seems the uninstall of the CTP and install of the new beta
>> didn't mess with most (all?) of my NIC settings which is good. I
>> only want the client on my CAT5 port, not my VPN and wireless
>> connections. The XP client was notorious for activating itself on
>> every single connection the PC had.
>> --
>> _______________________
>> Ed H.

>
>
>Are you able to connect to any of your printers? We just installed the
>Vista Beta Client and everything seems to work well EXCEPT we can't
>add any printers. Vista can't find them in the tree.


Don't use that. Sorry. Almost all printers here are now direct
TCP/IP access. Makes it easier with guests and consultants.
--
_______________________
Ed H.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - success


Ed H.;2736442 Wrote:
> Well, for my modest needs, the new client seems to work well.
>
> 1) Uninstalled the tech preview.
> 2) rebooted
> 3) installed the new client using "Express Settings"
> 4) This seemed to take forever. I don't remember Office 2007
> taking this long to install. Anyway, after 5-10 minutes it was
> ready to reboot.
> 5) Ugh. Had a "Novell Login" screen now instead of my PC's login.
> Fiddled around and got that changed. I don't participate on a
> Novell domain, I just log in to specific shares.
> 6) Normal desktop came up, connected to a share, and Opened an
> Excel file with Office 2007. Worked fine.
>
> It seems the uninstall of the CTP and install of the new beta
> didn't mess with most (all?) of my NIC settings which is good. I
> only want the client on my CAT5 port, not my VPN and wireless
> connections. The XP client was notorious for activating itself on
> every single connection the PC had.
> --
> _______________________
> Ed H.


Are you having problem with releasing the connection when you log off?


--
thang
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - success

thang <thang.2syf6b@no-mx.nds_engineer.com> wrote:

>
>Ed H.;2736442 Wrote:
>> Well, for my modest needs, the new client seems to work well.
>>
>> 1) Uninstalled the tech preview.
>> 2) rebooted
>> 3) installed the new client using "Express Settings"
>> 4) This seemed to take forever. I don't remember Office 2007
>> taking this long to install. Anyway, after 5-10 minutes it was
>> ready to reboot.
>> 5) Ugh. Had a "Novell Login" screen now instead of my PC's login.
>> Fiddled around and got that changed. I don't participate on a
>> Novell domain, I just log in to specific shares.
>> 6) Normal desktop came up, connected to a share, and Opened an
>> Excel file with Office 2007. Worked fine.
>>
>> It seems the uninstall of the CTP and install of the new beta
>> didn't mess with most (all?) of my NIC settings which is good. I
>> only want the client on my CAT5 port, not my VPN and wireless
>> connections. The XP client was notorious for activating itself on
>> every single connection the PC had.
>> --
>> _______________________
>> Ed H.

>
>Are you having problem with releasing the connection when you log off?


No. Only logged off once since that first login and connection
this AM. seems to be working fine. One datapoint does not a trend
make though. I'll keep an eye on it.
--
_______________________
Ed H.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - Problem Logging in

"Peter Caplan" <peter.caplan @ucd.ie> wrote:

> Do I need to unblock any programs or ports on the Windows Firewall
> (set on - with exceptions - as per vista defaults)


I've never had to disable anything about Windows Vista's own built-in
firewall. Login by tree name or server name, by SLP or by DNS, has
been successful without having to explicitly permit any communication.

I've seen a report of the Microsoft OneCare firewall default denying
login with an 89FC error. Explicitly creating exceptions for the
Novell-related communication allowed successful login in the OneCare
case:

NCP: port 524, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
DNS: port 53, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
DHCP-IN: port 68, TCP and UDP, incoming (local)
DHCP-OUT: port 67, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
SLP: port 427, TCP and UDP, both
VLS: port 6901, TCP, outbound.

(VLS is Novell Volume Location Service, if you use Novell DFS.)

But I would probably just temporarily disable Vista's built-in
firewall entirely, to quickly see whether the failure has anything to
do with the firewall being enabled or not.

> Does UAC (User Access Control) need to be turned off (currently on)


No, disabling UAC is not required for Novell Client login or
operation.

Alan Adams
alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
(for email, remove the crumbs)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - success

Ed H. <nospam@myaddress.net> wrote:

>It seems the uninstall of the CTP and install of the new beta
>didn't mess with most (all?) of my NIC settings which is good. I
>only want the client on my CAT5 port, not my VPN and wireless
>connections. The XP client was notorious for activating itself on
>every single connection the PC had.


Never mind. It did attach itself to other connections. You only
see then when those sessions go active. So, unchecking I go. 😞
--
_______________________
Ed H.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - Problem Logging in

>
> NCP: port 524, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
> DNS: port 53, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
> DHCP-IN: port 68, TCP and UDP, incoming (local)
> DHCP-OUT: port 67, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
> SLP: port 427, TCP and UDP, both
> VLS: port 6901, TCP, outbound.
>
> (VLS is Novell Volume Location Service, if you use Novell DFS.)
>
> But I would probably just temporarily disable Vista's built-in
> firewall entirely, to quickly see whether the failure has anything to
> do with the firewall being enabled or not.
>
>> Does UAC (User Access Control) need to be turned off (currently on)

>
> No, disabling UAC is not required for Novell Client login or
> operation.
>
> Alan Adams
> alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
> (for email, remove the crumbs)


Thats Great info Alan - exactly what I was hoping for. I will try this out
on Monday back at the office!

Regards - Peter

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - success

Ed H. <nospam@myaddress.net> wrote:

>Well, for my modest needs, the new client seems to work well.
>
>1) Uninstalled the tech preview.
>2) rebooted
>3) installed the new client using "Express Settings"
>4) This seemed to take forever. I don't remember Office 2007
>taking this long to install. Anyway, after 5-10 minutes it was
>ready to reboot.
>5) Ugh. Had a "Novell Login" screen now instead of my PC's login.
>Fiddled around and got that changed. I don't participate on a
>Novell domain, I just log in to specific shares.
>6) Normal desktop came up, connected to a share, and Opened an
>Excel file with Office 2007. Worked fine.
>
>It seems the uninstall of the CTP and install of the new beta
>didn't mess with most (all?) of my NIC settings which is good. I
>only want the client on my CAT5 port, not my VPN and wireless
>connections. The XP client was notorious for activating itself on
>every single connection the PC had.


Here is one. I can't map to virtual shares. I can map to
\\machinename\sharename through Novell's security, but when
mapping to \\virtualshare\sharename, I just get an invalid
resource. Works fine in XP.
--
_______________________
Ed H.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New Novell beta client for Vista - Problem Logging in

On Jun 30, 1:03 pm, "Peter Caplan" <peter.caplan @ucd.ie> wrote:
> > NCP: port 524, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
> > DNS: port 53, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
> > DHCP-IN: port 68, TCP and UDP, incoming (local)
> > DHCP-OUT: port 67, TCP and UDP, outbound (remote)
> >SLP: port 427, TCP and UDP, both
> > VLS: port 6901, TCP, outbound.

>
> > (VLS is Novell Volume Location Service, if you use Novell DFS.)

>
> > But I would probably just temporarily disableVista'sbuilt-in
> > firewall entirely, to quickly see whether the failure has anything to
> > do with the firewall being enabled or not.

>
> >> Does UAC (User Access Control) need to be turned off (currently on)

>
> > No, disabling UAC is not required for NovellClientlogin or
> > operation.

>
> > Alan Adams
> > alancrumbad...@drcrumb.com
> > (for email, remove the crumbs)

>
> Thats Great info Alan - exactly what I was hoping for. I will try this out
> on Monday back at the office!
>
> Regards - Peter


Yes. I just want to respond to let others know that this is
probably the first thing they should check after installing the Client
for Vista. Don't forget that on a new computer, there may be a 3rd
party firewall just waiting to ruin your life.


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.