Highlighted
m_schlegel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

New OES in tree or migrate existing NW server?

Hi all

Need your help in planing my OES scenario for DSFW.

Actual situation: Totally 2 Netware Servers, 110 User, all with Netware Client, 120 User Netware license, but out of maintenance since years.

1 Netware 6.5 SP4a server physically who act as File- and Printserver with traditional filesystem and he's doing his job very very well since years 😉 That's why I hate it to change something with this box and would prefer to stay on Netware as long as possible.

1 Netware 6.5 SP4a server virtually in ESX4, no services anymore on it, just keeped as eDir backup in the tree.

Now we have to install XenApp6 which only supports DSFW now. So what will be the best scenario for implement the DSFW service into our existing tree?

My first thought was, just install a new OES2 SP2a server into the existing tree, configure DSFW on it and that's all.
But I'm not sure, if that will work how I think about 😉 So because all users authenticate to the eDir and not to the server, it should be enough to have just one OES in the tree with DSFW running, right? I mean, if a user authenticate to this OES then, he will also have fileaccess rights to the Netware fileserver? Or is it a must that all servers must run on OES2 Linux to use the DSFW service?

I guess with a new OES server I need to buy then a new 120 user license for OES. But what happends if I will migrate the virtuell second server to OES, should I need then to buy a upgrade license for 120 users? So then that will be the cheaper scenario to migrate the second backup server instead to install a new third one into the tree.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Marco
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
dschaldedfg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New OES in tree or migrate existing NW server?

m_schlegel;2002110 wrote:
Hi all

Need your help in planing my OES scenario for DSFW.

Actual situation: Totally 2 Netware Servers, 110 User, all with Netware Client, 120 User Netware license, but out of maintenance since years.

1 Netware 6.5 SP4a server physically who act as File- and Printserver with traditional filesystem and he's doing his job very very well since years 😉 That's why I hate it to change something with this box and would prefer to stay on Netware as long as possible.

1 Netware 6.5 SP4a server virtually in ESX4, no services anymore on it, just keeped as eDir backup in the tree.

Now we have to install XenApp6 which only supports DSFW now. So what will be the best scenario for implement the DSFW service into our existing tree?

My first thought was, just install a new OES2 SP2a server into the existing tree, configure DSFW on it and that's all.
But I'm not sure, if that will work how I think about 😉 So because all users authenticate to the eDir and not to the server, it should be enough to have just one OES in the tree with DSFW running, right? I mean, if a user authenticate to this OES then, he will also have fileaccess rights to the Netware fileserver? Or is it a must that all servers must run on OES2 Linux to use the DSFW service?

I guess with a new OES server I need to buy then a new 120 user license for OES. But what happends if I will migrate the virtuell second server to OES, should I need then to buy a upgrade license for 120 users? So then that will be the cheaper scenario to migrate the second backup server instead to install a new third one into the tree.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Marco

(1)I would start by saying that before you try to insert the OES2 server into the eDirectory tree you should first update both of your servers to SP8, that would assist with the OES2 server going into the tree. (2) How much room do you have on the ESX4 server? If space is available then you could perform a NetWare to NetWare Migration and move your Physical server to the Virtual which as far as I understand Novell will continue to support, also this way you could switch to NSS volumes on the Migrated NetWare server, better volume support and speed (in my mind). (3) I would set up a Temp server in a temp tree first to test and configure the DSFW, I have never used it before, and I would want to test it before I was putting it into the "production" tree.
(4) Your thoughts about the authentication; If the Login script points to a server that should not change, the file system rights would not change, again just my thinking,
(5) I don't think that you would have to change any of your user licensing, you can of course check with your Novell rep, they would have more information than I would, but you should be able to upgrade to OES2 as a part of your upgrade path since Novell is wanting to see you on OES2 instead of NetWare.
I hope this information helps
0 Likes
W_Prindl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I don't know, whatfore Xenapp6 does need DSFW. If it is just for
authentication, then you would be best served by just adding a DSfW
server to the tree, which does nothing else besides of authenticating
users via AD. But you have to plan for a good partition layout and
maybe you have to adjust your tree for the requirements of DSfW. (This
tree and partition planning is the most essential thing in installing
DSfW, if that's well planned you should have no problems with your
install- but if you never installed DSfW it is advisable to do a test
install in a test tree, before going into production)

And i would really upgrade your NW 6.5 servers to SP8 + post patches
and upgrade Edir to 8.8.5 to get a better compatibility, but that is
not a reqirement, but will smoothen things.
--
W. Prindl

m schlegel wrote:

>
>Hi all
>
>Need your help in planing my OES scenario for DSFW.
>
>Actual situation: Totally 2 Netware Servers, 110 User, all with
>Netware Client, 120 User Netware license, but out of maintenance since
>years.
>
>1 Netware 6.5 SP4a server physically who act as File- and Printserver
>with traditional filesystem and he's doing his job very very well
>since years 😉 That's why I hate it to change something with this
>box and would prefer to stay on Netware as long as possible.
>
>1 Netware 6.5 SP4a server virtually in ESX4, no services anymore on
>it, just keeped as eDir backup in the tree.
>
>Now we have to install XenApp6 which only supports DSFW now. So what
>will be the best scenario for implement the DSFW service into our
>existing tree?
>
>My first thought was, just install a new OES2 SP2a server into the
>existing tree, configure DSFW on it and that's all.
>But I'm not sure, if that will work how I think about 😉 So because
>all users authenticate to the eDir and not to the server, it should be
>enough to have just one OES in the tree with DSFW running, right? I
>mean, if a user authenticate to this OES then, he will also have
>fileaccess rights to the Netware fileserver? Or is it a must that all
>servers must run on OES2 Linux to use the DSFW service?
>
>I guess with a new OES server I need to buy then a new 120 user
>license for OES. But what happends if I will migrate the virtuell
>second server to OES, should I need then to buy a upgrade license for
>120 users? So then that will be the cheaper scenario to migrate the
>second backup server instead to install a new third one into the tree.
>
>Thank you for any suggestions!
>Marco

W. Prindl
0 Likes
m_schlegel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@dschaldedfg

1. Sure, first I will start with patching to SP8 and post patches.
2. Migration of the Fileserver to ESX is not possible at the moment.
3. Good point, have already a test tree where I can do some tests with DSFW
4. So then it will be enough to have just one OES2 server in the tree with DSFW and all users who authenticate through DSFW can access all their folders on the netware volumes? That's the most important thing and I'm not sure if that's right.
5. Ha, that would be perfect, but to nice to be true, or? Can someone with OES2 license experiences confirm this?

W_Prindl wrote:

I don't know, whatfore Xenapp6 does need DSFW. If it is just for
authentication, then you would be best served by just adding a DSfW
server to the tree, which does nothing else besides of authenticating
users via AD. But you have to plan for a good partition layout and
maybe you have to adjust your tree for the requirements of DSfW. (This
tree and partition planning is the most essential thing in installing
DSfW, if that's well planned you should have no problems with your
install- but if you never installed DSfW it is advisable to do a test
install in a test tree, before going into production)

I need the DSFW on my XenApp6 for publish some files which are stored on the Netware server to the users.
Earlier versions of Citrix XenApp supported the Novell Client integreation on the Citrix server, but with the actual version 6 they only support DSFW.

So our tree looks very easy, just a O=CompanyName,OU=CompanyName and there are all objects stored in this OU. The only thing I never know if I will become troubles is the fact, that we have since NW4 the same name for the tree as also for the OU. But until now it always worked well and hope it will not make problems now with the upgrade to 8.8.5

Thank you both for your suggestions!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

m_schlegel;2002412 wrote:
I need the DSFW on my XenApp6 for publish some files which are stored on the Netware server to the users.
Earlier versions of Citrix XenApp supported the Novell Client integreation on the Citrix server, but with the actual version 6 they only support DSFW.

So our tree looks very easy, just a O=CompanyName,OU=CompanyName and there are all objects stored in this OU. The only thing I never know if I will become troubles is the fact, that we have since NW4 the same name for the tree as also for the OU. But until now it always worked well and hope it will not make problems now with the upgrade to 8.8.5

We have one tree just about as old running DSfW in it. Small scale, but doing well. As long as the health is ok and your not running replicas on too old systems.

As for implementing DSfW... I'd almost say, have a good test now, but wait until OES2 SP3 is out (planned somewhere Q4 of this year) to put it into production.
Even when you have a tree that's quite straight forward, OES2 SP3 will bring some enhancements to DSfW along with taking away some limitations in how it can be setup (naming and partitioning).. So you'll have more design options.

-Willem
0 Likes
elagrew Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You might also read this. Good article and comments.

Things learned installing DSfW

Good luck!

--El

El LaGrew elbert.lagrew#katun.com elagrew on twitter
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.