Highlighted
elphantasmo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

New OES11 install and /var filling up

OESll sp1 on VMware ESXi 5.1, plenty of RAM and processing power

We've had our new OES11 sp1 server up for about 3 weeks. We got an error stating /var was getting full, so I deleted a bunch of migration project files. Now the error has returned. "/var/opt/novell/imanager/nps" is the major offender; however, I'm not sure what to clean nor a "safe" way to do it. "/var" is it's own 4GB volume. I get this error when there's about 100MB left. What to do?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: New OES11 install and /var filling up

elphantasmo;2271207 wrote:
OESll sp1 on VMware ESXi 5.1, plenty of RAM and processing power

We've had our new OES11 sp1 server up for about 3 weeks. We got an error stating /var was getting full, so I deleted a bunch of migration project files. Now the error has returned. "/var/opt/novell/imanager/nps" is the major offender; however, I'm not sure what to clean nor a "safe" way to do it. "/var" is it's own 4GB volume. I get this error when there's about 100MB left. What to do?

4GB could work but is quite small to size /var (assuming there are no other mounts defined for directories below /var). As eDirectory and other vital bits of the server's running OS code is running in subfolder of /var I always give this mount plenty of room (usually 12 GB). Do you have any options to expand the partition holding /var's mount point?

To quickly do a (as root) search for largest directories under /var, do a "du -a /var | sort -n -r | head -n 10".

-Willem
0 Likes
elphantasmo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New OES11 install and /var filling up

Thanks, that's pointed me in a better direction.

Silly me... The project files I "deleted" sat in the ".Trash-0" folder, so I manually delete all the files in the folder. It freed up quite a bit of space.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.