Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
gnguyen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

New Router and IP Address

My current Internet Service Provider stops providing DSL line. A new one is taking over and giving me a new router and a new IP address. Please show me how to configure the new router and re-program the server to have new IP. I'm using Netware 6.5.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Re: New Router and IP Address

Hi,

At the server console using INETCFG to reconfigure your NIC and IP settingins including your default gateway / router. This is under the Boards, Bindings, and Protocols-->TCP / IP settings-->LAN Static Routing options.

If you have not used INETCFG before it will prompt you to copy configuration statements from AUTOEXEC.NCF - let it do that using the "automatically import ..." the LAN driver and protocol settings option. Save the settings. Then reboot the server. It will now be configured exactly as before, just managed via INETCFG. After reboot, check the settinger were preserved using the CONFIG command, Monitor-->LAN / Wan Drivers, TCPCON, etc.... If it all looks good, then you can use INETCFG to change your IP address and router info. After you have saved the changes, you would use Reinitialize System command at console to activate the new settings.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Gnguyen,
> Please show me how to configure the new router and re-program the server
> to have new IP. I'm using Netware 6.5.
>

No idea about the router, but for the server, see:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/nw65/mgmt_ip_nw/data/ai1h237.html

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
gnguyen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bob-O-Rama;2085635 wrote:
Hi,

At the server console using INETCFG to reconfigure your NIC and IP settingins including your default gateway / router. This is under the Boards, Bindings, and Protocols-->TCP / IP settings-->LAN Static Routing options.

If you have not used INETCFG before it will prompt you to copy configuration statements from AUTOEXEC.NCF - let it do that using the "automatically import ..." the LAN driver and protocol settings option. Save the settings. Then reboot the server. It will now be configured exactly as before, just managed via INETCFG. After reboot, check the settinger were preserved using the CONFIG command, Monitor-->LAN / Wan Drivers, TCPCON, etc.... If it all looks good, then you can use INETCFG to change your IP address and router info. After you have saved the changes, you would use Reinitialize System command at console to activate the new settings.

-- Bob

Thank you Bob. Your instructions couldn't be any more clearer. Thanks a million.
A follow up question: on the new router itself - do I have to do anything?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Gnguyen,
> A follow up question: on the new router itself - do I have to do
> anything?
>

Depends, ideally do you need a static IP for the server. And, yes. Do
you use the server itself for NAT/Routing?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
netwo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

My idea on that is dont change the servers ip add as much as possible. If the router or network can support NAT then i think its better.
0 Likes
gnguyen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

netwo;2085819 wrote:
My idea on that is dont change the servers ip add as much as possible. If the router or network can support NAT then i think its better.

Hi netwo,

Yes, my router and support NAT. As I understand what you're saying is that if it's the case then I don't have to do anything. Server will take care of itself with new IP?
0 Likes
netwo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,actually i dont have enough knowleadge to the impact of changing the ip address of the novell server. Usually i would retain that ip address as much as posible. As i understand in your case, the server's ip should be changed because you've got the new ISP that will provide the new network. Here's what i do, retain your current server ip address. Just use NAT to communicate with internet. advantage of this is you dont need to reconfigure clients that access your servers.But if you really need to change ip,then try it first in your lab.
regards,
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.