Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3151 views

New to Novell - add a DNS server entry?

Hi there.
Very new to Novell - just installed a test server today in fact.
Where/how do I add an entry for a DNS server?
All the info I can find seems to relate to setting the server as a DNS
rather than entering a remote DNS server.

Thanks
Andrew
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New to Novell - add a DNS server entry?

Can you expound? Are you trying to add A records or other types to an
internal DNS server?


<email_ajf@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:EXM7h.6383$rF4.1966@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Hi there.
> Very new to Novell - just installed a test server today in fact.
> Where/how do I add an entry for a DNS server?
> All the info I can find seems to relate to setting the server as a DNS
> rather than entering a remote DNS server.
>
> Thanks
> Andrew



0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New to Novell - add a DNS server entry?

If it's just the utility used to govern DNS, you can browse (I think) to
sys: public\dnsdhcp and run the installer. It'll give you a management
utility for modifying these records after you install it.
"Craig" <tech@no-spam-novoco.com> wrote in message
news:ZgP7h.6419$rF4.1277@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Can you expound? Are you trying to add A records or other types to an
> internal DNS server?
>
>
> <email_ajf@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:EXM7h.6383$rF4.1966@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>> Hi there.
>> Very new to Novell - just installed a test server today in fact.
>> Where/how do I add an entry for a DNS server?
>> All the info I can find seems to relate to setting the server as a DNS
>> rather than entering a remote DNS server.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Andrew

>
>



0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New to Novell - add a DNS server entry?

Craig wrote:

> If it's just the utility used to govern DNS, you can browse (I think)
> to sys: public\dnsdhcp and run the installer. It'll give you a
> management utility for modifying these records after you install it.


That is only if you have installed the DNS/DHCP services.



--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New to Novell - add a DNS server entry?

email_ajf@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> Hi there.
> Very new to Novell - just installed a test server today in fact.
> Where/how do I add an entry for a DNS server?
> All the info I can find seems to relate to setting the server as a
> DNS rather than entering a remote DNS server.


Can you elaborate your question a bit ? It is quite unclear what
exactly you want to do.

Do you want the new server to be a DNS Server or do you want to be able
to resolve the new servername ? If the first option you'll need to
install DNS/DHCP. Please see
http://www.novell.com/documentation/nw65/dhcp_enu/data/front.html

If the second option it will depend on the DNS service you use on how
to add the servername to it.


--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New to Novell - add a DNS server entry?

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 23:08:28 -0800, Edward van der Maas >
<"<edmaa_remove_this!"@and+_this!@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> Can you elaborate your question a bit ? It is quite unclear what
> exactly you want to do.


The thrid thing that comes to mind is that the OP was trying to configure
IP on the new server, and was wondering about where to tell the server
about DNS; that should have been druing the GUI portion of the install,
when asked about installing IP and entering the server's IP number. If
DNS settings aren't on that screen, then the button for "Advanced" will
bring them up.

If you have to fix an install that's completed, some of that may be in
sys:system\autoexec.ncf as a bind command for the NIC driver.

/dps

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.