Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2816 views

No volumes show up in finder

I have netware 6.5sp2 on my servers: I have done the following:
1. Loaded aftcp on all servers my mac user needs to get to
2. Created simple password for my mac user.
3. Configured the ctxs.cfg file on each of 3 servers with the user's context.

Only on one of my servers, the mac user is able to see the volumes in the finder window, but on the other two servers, he is able to get as far as choosing the server but then sees no volumes available in the finder window. When I go to the afptcp.log file I get this on both servers:

Thu Jun 9 13:50:45 2005
: Thread ID = 383, InitAuthentication: RegOpenKeyEx 'Appliance' failed 1073741838 <4000000e>
Thu Jun 9 13:50:48 2005
: Thread ID = 383, Using Mac Code Page <Roman>

Thank you

--
STACIE WHITE

Labels (1)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

Try turning on cleartext on those servers as a test.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

Timothy
"Load afptcp cleartext" still did not show any volumes.

Question: I had already set the user's simple password - should I have
removed that password in console1 first, before using the cleartext option?

Thanks for you help
Stacie White

"Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> wrote in message
news:MNnre.30$PA5.0@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Try turning on cleartext on those servers as a test.
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

> Question: I had already set the user's simple password - should I
> have removed that password in console1 first, before using the
> cleartext option?


wouldn't make a difference. Checking a few things......

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

Timothy
One thing I noticed that is different about the servers that don't work is
that when I load afptcp, I get "desktop on volume <volume name> is
unavailable to AFP clients". I get this message for all the volumes on the
server. Whereas on the server that works, I only get that message on the
nss _ADMIN volume. I am not sure what it means, if anything......

Thank you
Stacie White

"Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> wrote in message
news:L5Are.454$yy6.33@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>> Question: I had already set the user's simple password - should I
>> have removed that password in console1 first, before using the
>> cleartext option?

>
> wouldn't make a difference. Checking a few things......
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

More information --- on the server that works, when typing volumes at the
console, NFS is a namespace on all volumes. On the server that doesn't work,
it is only on the _ADMIN volume. I am thinking that NFS should be added to
those volumes...... right?


"Stacie White" <stacie.white@arvig.com> wrote in message
news:muVre.514$Ix2.16@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Timothy
> One thing I noticed that is different about the servers that don't work is
> that when I load afptcp, I get "desktop on volume <volume name> is
> unavailable to AFP clients". I get this message for all the volumes on
> the server. Whereas on the server that works, I only get that message on
> the nss _ADMIN volume. I am not sure what it means, if anything......
>
> Thank you
> Stacie White
>
> "Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> wrote in message
> news:L5Are.454$yy6.33@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>>> Question: I had already set the user's simple password - should I
>>> have removed that password in console1 first, before using the
>>> cleartext option?

>>
>> wouldn't make a difference. Checking a few things......
>>
>> --
>> Timothy Leerhoff
>> Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

>
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

I think I might be out of luck on this one:
tid 10088921 states traditional volumes are unavailable to mac users in 6.5.
And that explains why the mac client only sees volumes on servers that were
not upgraded from 5.1 to 6.5, but were a new 6.5 install.



"Stacie White" <stacie.white@arvig.com> wrote in message
news:muVre.514$Ix2.16@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Timothy
> One thing I noticed that is different about the servers that don't work is
> that when I load afptcp, I get "desktop on volume <volume name> is
> unavailable to AFP clients". I get this message for all the volumes on
> the server. Whereas on the server that works, I only get that message on
> the nss _ADMIN volume. I am not sure what it means, if anything......
>
> Thank you
> Stacie White
>
> "Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> wrote in message
> news:L5Are.454$yy6.33@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>>> Question: I had already set the user's simple password - should I
>>> have removed that password in console1 first, before using the
>>> cleartext option?

>>
>> wouldn't make a difference. Checking a few things......
>>
>> --
>> Timothy Leerhoff
>> Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

>
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

That is the ticket.

If you have the extra space (minimum size of the volume being moved) I
can walk you through a FAST way to migrate the volume to NSS.

Once moved and tested you can remove the TFS volume and use that space
for another volume migration.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

The future comes slowly, the present flies and the past stands still
forever
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

> when I load afptcp, I get "desktop on volume <volume name> is
> unavailable to AFP clients". I get this message for all the volumes
> on the server


That is the error we needed. Added a reply in your other post.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

The future comes slowly, the present flies and the past stands still
forever
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

> More information --- on the server that works, when typing volumes at
> the console, NFS is a namespace on all volumes. On the server that
> doesn't work, it is only on the _ADMIN volume. I am thinking that
> NFS should be added to those volumes...... right?


Nope. you need AFP for MACs. This should automatically be there on a
NSS volume.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

The future comes slowly, the present flies and the past stands still
forever
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

I tried to delete this message right after I posted it when I noticed my
mistake... I got nfs and afp mixed up.


"Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> wrote in message
news:4AXre.705$Ix2.433@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>> More information --- on the server that works, when typing volumes at
>> the console, NFS is a namespace on all volumes. On the server that
>> doesn't work, it is only on the _ADMIN volume. I am thinking that
>> NFS should be added to those volumes...... right?

>
> Nope. you need AFP for MACs. This should automatically be there on a
> NSS volume.
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop
>
> The future comes slowly, the present flies and the past stands still
> forever



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: No volumes show up in finder

NP, thought I would answer in case a lurker was reading that had a
similar issue, but not the TFS one you did.


--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

The future comes slowly, the present flies and the past stands still
forever
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.