UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not able to inventorying files or folders with NRM for Linux

Hello,

I´m not able to inventorying files or folders with Novell Remote Manager on OES2 SP3. All actually updates installed In the past it was no problem. We are running four OES2 SP3 Servers, all with the same problem. It seems that an update causes this problem, because the error doesn’t exist before.

I show you exactly what i would like to to.

In Remote Manager in the column “View File System” I choose “Volume Inventory” and the desired volume. Nothing happens, the CPU utilitization reaches 100%. I can wait hours but the Inventory Report never appears. This problem doesn’t exist on our 15 Netware servers.

In the following picture you can see the problem:

BilderHoster.net - Dein Bilderhoster vng1wlpn.jpg

Here you can see the same on Netware where it works:

BilderHoster.net - Dein Bilderhoster 962cly92.jpg

It´s very important for me to counting the files and folders. I have to do this every day for backup control.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andreas Schier
Labels (2)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry the link was not correct:

Working NRM:

BilderHoster.net - Dein Bilderhoster 962cly92.jpg

NRM with the problem:

BilderHoster.net - Dein Bilderhoster vng1wlpn.jpg
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry i´m not able to link my pictures. Sorry for that.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 14.07.2011 12:06, Skylon5000 wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I´m not able to inventorying files or folders with Novell Remote
> Manager on OES2 SP3.

Yep. Volume inventory and all related activities in NRM are severely
broken in/since SP3. I suggest you open a SR, that's the only way forward.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

There's a problem with the May 2011 Maint. patch where NRM inventory will take FOREVER (okay my words) to load. It will eventually inventory, but it will sometimes timeout
I've got some volumes so large, that the inventory won't complete before NRM times out.

😞
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2121366 wrote:
There's a problem with the May 2011 Maint. patch where NRM inventory will take FOREVER (okay my words) to load. It will eventually inventory, but it will sometimes timeout
I've got some volumes so large, that the inventory won't complete before NRM times out.

😞

Yes, absolutly the same here. Small volumes with not so many files, will be inventoried. But large volumes with 1 million files or more timed out. I have a ticket open. But they are so busy, i have been waiting for 5 weeks. They have no solution in the moment. It´s very bad, because i mirror files from one server to the other and i have to compare the files on both volumes. Does anyone know another way to do that quickly ?

Thank you guys.
Andreas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

To be honest, it's faster to use native linux commands to just get a file listing output and file sizes (but not ownership)

I sent off an email to the person who gave me the test patches but haven't heard back at all.

I think the NRM team is really understaffed what with NetWare to OES (ie, they removed a large portion of features, hence removing staff), and the Attachmate acquisition which let a lot of people go as well
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Oh, I'd post a message in that "ask a technical services manager" with your SR# and maybe they can get some people working on it. But I have a feeling it'll be in developments hands and that's where things slow down.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:36:02 +0000, Skylon5000 wrote:

> Yes, absolutly the same here. Small volumes with not so many files, will
> be inventoried. But large volumes with 1 million files or more timed
> out. I have a ticket open. But they are so busy, i have been waiting for
> 5 weeks. They have no solution in the moment.

You might post this over in the "talk to a support manager" forum if
you're not happy with the (lack of...) results on your SR so far.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Novell Knowledge Partner http://forums.novell.com

Please post questions in the newsgroups. No support provided via email.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;2121796 wrote:
To be honest, it's faster to use native linux commands to just get a file listing output and file sizes (but not ownership)

I sent off an email to the person who gave me the test patches but haven't heard back at all.

I think the NRM team is really understaffed what with NetWare to OES (ie, they removed a large portion of features, hence removing staff), and the Attachmate acquisition which let a lot of people go as well

Hello to all,

thank you to this point. kjhurni, i´m looking for a few native linux commands. I found this: ls -laR | wc -l. But the result can´t be true. The server has 150000 files aprox., but the command gives 520000. Does anyone know a command, which gives me the count from the files and size only. No more needed.

Thank you
Andreas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok i found this: find . -type f | wc -l. With this command i´m able to count the files. I compared the source with target. It works perfect. The count is 100% true. But at last i need a command to compare the size of the ammount of files (In the File Inventory from NRM that is "Space in Use". The reason for that: The count of files is not 100% sure, because some files can be corrupted and so it´s important to know the "Space in Use". Maybe anyone know this.

Thank you
Andreas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok for the folder size (Space in Use) i found this: "du -shm". But something is not 100% correct. I told you that i´m able to count via NRM when the folder are not too big. So i counted a folder with 2443 files. The "find . -type f | wc -l" command gives the correct count of 2443 files. For the folder size the "du -shm" command gives 276991MB but NRM gives 276985MB. Where are the 6MB. 😉 Any ideas ?

Thank you Andreas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.