Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1762 views

Not allowing .exe / MP3 files to be saved to server space


Hello,

Started working at a school district that has server space for all
student and faculty. The old technician that was working here would scan
the students server for .exe / .MP3 etc on every Friday and delete
accordingly.. 2 problems with this:

#1 - They were using windows search to view the fils and then hit delete
to remove them, but if the file was in use etc, then the delete would stop
- go nowhere. start over!!

#2 - It is a never ending cycle.. There has got to be something better..

My qustion is this: Is there something better that we can do to stop
this? Can I stop the students from saving .exe / MP3 files to the server
(Quarantine them)? Is this possible?

If not, are there any good free tools that would help me in my endevor?


Thanks for the help.

Toby

Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Not allowing .exe / MP3 files to be saved to server space

Toby wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Started working at a school district that has server space for all
> student and faculty. The old technician that was working here would scan
> the students server for .exe / .MP3 etc on every Friday and delete
> accordingly.. 2 problems with this:
>
> #1 - They were using windows search to view the fils and then hit
> delete to remove them, but if the file was in use etc, then the delete
> would stop - go nowhere. start over!!
>
> #2 - It is a never ending cycle.. There has got to be something better..
>
> My qustion is this: Is there something better that we can do to stop
> this? Can I stop the students from saving .exe / MP3 files to the server
> (Quarantine them)? Is this possible?
> If not, are there any good free tools that would help me in my endevor?
>
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Toby
>

I believe Hamish Speirs has written just what you are looking for...

http://www.caledonia.net/blokfile.html


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Not allowing .exe / MP3 files to be saved to server space

Toby,

I know of a couple of options and there may be others...

1. Blokfile - http://www.caledonia.net/blokfile.html I've never used
this, but I know Hamish and I have no problem recommending his stuff.
This will prevent files from being saved to the server.
2. Taskmaster - http://www.avanti-tech.com/ I have this and it works
quite well. You can create a task which will delete all EXE and MP3
files and schedule it to run on a regular basis. Taskmaster does a
lot of other things too.

Regards,
Ken

Novell....it does a server good!
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Not allowing .exe / MP3 files to be saved to server space

KeN Etter wrote:
> Toby,
>
> I know of a couple of options and there may be others...
>
> 1. Blokfile - http://www.caledonia.net/blokfile.html I've never used
> this, but I know Hamish and I have no problem recommending his stuff.
> This will prevent files from being saved to the server.
> 2. Taskmaster - http://www.avanti-tech.com/ I have this and it works
> quite well. You can create a task which will delete all EXE and MP3
> files and schedule it to run on a regular basis. Taskmaster does a
> lot of other things too.
>
> Regards,
> Ken
>
> Novell....it does a server good!


I just implemented Hamish Speirs BlokFile and it works great. I would
definitely recommend it.

HT
0 Likes
hspeirs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Not allowing .exe / MP3 files to be saved to server spac

Havey,

>I just implemented Hamish Speirs BlokFile and it works great. I would
>definitely recommend it.

thanks 🙂

H.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Not allowing .exe / MP3 files to be saved to server space

Haitch wrote:


> Havey,


>>I just implemented Hamish Speirs BlokFile and it works great. I would
>>definitely recommend it.


> thanks 🙂


> H.



We just implemented it 5 weeks ago... its a life saver!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Not allowing .exe / MP3 files to be saved to server space

On 04/10/07 Josh Rosenbaum wrote:
> We just implemented it 5 weeks ago... its a life saver!!!!!!!


It has a hole in the middle?
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://support.novell.com/forums
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Not allowing .exe / MP3 files to be saved to server space

That would actually be a dooonut ....

--


Peter
eDirectory Rules!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.