Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4312 views

Novell Client 2 SP1 - Login with Local Admin account

It seems that with Novell Client 2 on Windows 7 (and perhaps Vista as well) that if you want to login to the computer wiht a local administrator account that after selecting Computer Only Logon you have to enter ComputerName\Administrator as the username. I find this interesting since without the Novell client installed, when I simply type "Administrator" as the username Windows 7 automatically logs me into the local admin account and not the domain admin account. Why does the Novell client do the opposite and is there a way to change this? For troubleshooting purposes we often need to login as local admin and it's just a bit of a hassle to click around and figure out what the computer name is when you might be needing to login to several computer over and over.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client 2 SP1 - Login with Local Admin account

weinberd;2079454 wrote:
It seems that with Novell Client 2 on Windows 7 (and perhaps Vista as well) that if you want to login to the computer wiht a local administrator account that after selecting Computer Only Logon you have to enter ComputerName\Administrator as the username. I find this interesting since without the Novell client installed, when I simply type "Administrator" as the username Windows 7 automatically logs me into the local admin account and not the domain admin account. Why does the Novell client do the opposite and is there a way to change this? For troubleshooting purposes we often need to login as local admin and it's just a bit of a hassle to click around and figure out what the computer name is when you might be needing to login to several computer over and over.


This is not the case for us, we don't need to enter Computername\Administrator on our W7SP1 Pro 32 bit with NC2SP1IR5. What version of client are you running?

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client 2 SP1 - Login with Local Admin account

thsundel;2079493 wrote:
This is not the case for us, we don't need to enter Computername\Administrator on our W7SP1 Pro 32 bit with NC2SP1IR5. What version of client are you running?

Thomas



We are also "running" (running in quotes because I just completed the first image and haven't actually deployed the image yet) NC2SP1IR5. Makes me wonder if there is perhaps a setting somewhere in the Novell client. I know sure that as soon as I remove the client, Windows 7 automatically goes back to not requiring the machine name prefix for a local computer login.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell Client 2 SP1 - Login with Local Admin account

weinberd;2079495 wrote:
We are also "running" (running in quotes because I just completed the first image and haven't actually deployed the image yet) NC2SP1IR5. Makes me wonder if there is perhaps a setting somewhere in the Novell client. I know sure that as soon as I remove the client, Windows 7 automatically goes back to not requiring the machine name prefix for a local computer login.


Might be some setting, we use a "default" install of the client with only some SLP and LDAP contextless settings edited.

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell Client 2 SP1 - Login with Local Admin account

weinberd <weinberd@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> It seems that with Novell Client 2 on Windows 7 (and perhaps Vista as
> well) that if you want to login to the computer wiht a local
> administrator account that after selecting -Computer Only Logon- you
> have to enter -ComputerName\Administrator- as the username. I find this
> interesting since without the Novell client installed, when I simply
> type "Administrator" as the username Windows 7 automatically logs me
> into the local admin account and not the domain admin account.


That's not the experience I've seen from any Windows 7 machine, for
what its worth.

Both with the Microsoft password credential provider (before
installing the Novell Client), and still true on the Novell Client
when invoking the Computer Only Logon mode, on a domain-member machine
the default logon domain -- if not explicitly specified in the
username field -- is the domain, not the local computer name.

The "Log on to:" text of either the Microsoft credential provider or
the Novell Client credential provider confirms this during the login;
showing the domain name unless a specific domain or UPN has been
specified in the username field.

Is there perhaps some additional configuration that has been applied
to the machine to make this happen? I can certainly say with 100%
assurance that the default AD domain and Windows 7 workstation
configuration behaves as just described; but perhaps there is some
additional domain-based or local workstation policy that has been set
to make the Microsoft credential provider default the local machine?
(And the Novell Client isn't honoring that non-default policy.)

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan.adams@novell.com

Novell
Making IT Work As One
www.novell.com

Upgrade to OES Community
http://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/upgradetooes/
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.